Where the Day Takes You

If it's not horror, this is the place!
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Where the Day Takes You

Post by Alien Redrum »

Okay, I split this topic because I want to talk about Where the Day Takes You. I watched half of this REAL LATE last night and, having never seen it, really enjoyed what I've watched so far.

I hid my eyes on the cast, knowing it would be good, and it's so off the charts. I haven't finished it yet, so don't ruin the cast for me! I've only seen:

Will Smith
Sean Astin
Lauren San Giasomething
The main character (King, forgot his real name)
Riki Lake (?)
That skinny woman from Allie MacBeal. Did she marry Jack Nicholson?
Is that young kid River Phoenix?
The guy who gets creepy with Sean Astin
and...
most importantly...

JO FROM FACTS OF LIFE IN A BRA OMG.

But, so far, like I said, I'm digging it a lot, so it does hold up. Very, very '90s feel, though.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Omg!

David Arquette in a half shirt
Drug counselor Christian Slater
Pederast Stephen Tobblrone
And holy fuck, hello Alyssa Milano

This movie is cray.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I think that cover of Everybody Look What's Going Down is the only song they could afford after paying for this star power.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Why is not River Phoenix always so clean?

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

ADAM FUCKING BALDWIN. HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS????

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Oh. I almost forgot about the guy that raped Nell on the pinball machine is Frodo's dad. Lol

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Holy fuck that happened. Fuck not River Phoenix.

Fyi, the bus number was 420. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Did I fucking tell you, or what?!?!

I think by not River Phoenix you mean Balthazar Getty, who I never recognize as he changes ages. He's like entirely different looking people every few years to me. No idea who the skinny women from Allie Mcbeal is, but i'm guessing you're talking about Lara Flynn Boyle, who costarred with Kyle MacLachlan in Twin Peaks right before this. Ricki Lake was awesome in this, I wouldv'e loved to have seen more of her and more of Alyssa Milano/David Arquette.

They credit Adam Baldwin as "Special appearance by". The only thing that would make his role more perfect is if they'd gotten Matt Dillon as his partner.

Philip McKeon, the little shit from Alice and Nancy's brother is one of the producers of this. I really would've loved more of her in this too, because I basically see it as Jo lost her scholarship and ended up with Jeffrey from Blue Velvet. Speaking of which, I thought Kyle was awesome in this. I could never tell if he cares about Samwise or if he wants to rape him.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

The opening montage with the For What it's Worth cover reminded me a lot of the opening montage for Lost Boys set to the remake of People Are Strange. The font used for the credits reminds me of an 80's movie. It might be the Year of Living Dangerously or Falcon and the Snowman, probably something else completely. I think that's why it kind of give me an 80's vibe.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:29 am Did I fucking tell you, or what?!?!

I think by not River Phoenix you mean Balthazar Getty, who I never recognize as he changes ages. He's like entirely different looking people every few years to me. No idea who the skinny women from Allie Mcbeal is, but i'm guessing you're talking about Lara Flynn Boyle, who costarred with Kyle MacLachlan in Twin Peaks right before this. Ricki Lake was awesome in this, I wouldv'e loved to have seen more of her and more of Alyssa Milano/David Arquette.
Yes, Boyle. She was in Allie McBeal. That's where I first saw her. She's a dreamy lady.
They credit Adam Baldwin as "Special appearance by". The only thing that would make his role more perfect is if they'd gotten Matt Dillon as his partner.
All things considered, that is very interesting that he would get the special appearance nod.
Philip McKeon, the little shit from Alice and Nancy's brother is one of the producers of this. I really would've loved more of her in this too, because I basically see it as Jo lost her scholarship and ended up with Jeffrey from Blue Velvet. Speaking of which, I thought Kyle was awesome in this. I could never tell if he cares about Samwise or if he wants to rape him.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:mffacts:

She was TOTALLY wasted in this. Totally. And you are spot on about Kyle. I just couldn't figure out his character. It's like you said, I didn't know if he wanted to rape him or love him, but I think at the end of the day, he just wanted to get him addicted to meth.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 am The opening montage with the For What it's Worth cover reminded me a lot of the opening montage for Lost Boys set to the remake of People Are Strange. The font used for the credits reminds me of an 80's movie. It might be the Year of Living Dangerously or Falcon and the Snowman, probably something else completely. I think that's why it kind of give me an 80's vibe.
OH! I'm glad you mentioned this. If I had one beef with the film, it would be the montages. There are SO MANY. You would think it's Rocky IV (or was it V? The one where he trained in Russia to fight whatshisface).

Anywho, this movie is like 2 hours long. It could have been 90 minutes without all the montages.

I do like how they aged Lauren San Giancomo (or whatever) by just giving her glasses at the end.

And why in the FUCK would Boyle want to be friends with not River Phoenix? Fuck that little dick.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

After I watched this, I read the original Ebert review of it, and he basically said it was an amazing movie with a hollywood ending that makes no sense. I have to agree completely with that. It's like, okay if you need to kill King, so be it. But the whole Balthazar thing was one big head scratch. So he was a juvenile, who killed a guy and was in an armed confrontation with 2 cops, but he gets like 2 months in county jail and released on his own? And you're right, Boyle only had loyalty to Lake and King. She wouldn't give a shit about Balthazar, and she'd be off somewhere with Lake, just like she was at the beginning of the movie.

Put both together and it's just a big wtf? I'm betting the original ending was more like 'hey, all this happened, and it really doesn't matter' type ending with Boyle and Lake just going off on their own and meeting new friends on their drugged out street prostitute journey, or whatever you want to imagine, but the studio was like OMG HAPPY ENDING!!!!

I agree about the montages. I think they were trying to set a scene, and they wanted to maybe show more than they needed to. Supposedly all the actors hung out with homeless kids from a community center for a few weeks to get to understand the life, and I wonder if maybe the kids were used as extras in different scenes to get a pay day and as a thanks, so excessive footage. Who knows though!

So you know Boyle from McBeal? Did you not see Twin Peaks, or did you not see it until way after? One of the interesting things about the casting of this movie is that her and Muadib had just finished working together on Twin Peaks, and their characters are way the opposite here.

And yeah, you never really get the Muadib dynamic towards Samwise. I think without the drugs, he'd very much be like an older brother figure. But maybe due to the drugs we never really know if he cares for him, is using him for $$, wants to rape him, or some combo of it all, and maybe that's the point for us as the audience. Maybe Muadib is so addled that he doesn't know himself and alternates between them.

What I like about this movie is there are a lot of little corners like this that you can peak into and try to figure out or question.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

It’s threads like this that make me question how I ever liked AR. :shake: knowing Boyle from Ally McBeal is just insane. I actually think that ARs disdain for Lynch and moreso his fans is making him lie about knowing her.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Twin Peaks is kaka.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Actually looking at IMDB, I was mistaken. I saw her in The Practice first. Twin Peaks is still kaka.