An observation on Tim Meadows.

If it's not horror, this is the place!
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

An observation on Tim Meadows.

Post by Neon Maniac »

Tim Meadows plays a high school administrator in Mean Girls, The Goldbergs and Schooled. Okay, he's the same character in Goldbergs and Schooled, so count that as you'd like. But my point here is, I like him much better in Mean Girls. I feel like he's unconstrained there, whereas on TV they have to hold him back.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: An observation on Tim Meadows.

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I actually just watched Mean Girls again about a week ago after not seeing it since it first came out.

That movie is fucking terrible. I can't believe how bad it is and how bad some of the jokes have aged in it coming from Fey and Poehler.

That said, Tim Meadows was the best thing in it.

Edited to add: I've never seen The Goldbergs or the other one.

And Patton Oswalt is the best principal in AP Bio.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I was actually rewatching Mean Girls when I posted that, and I agree 100% on your statement about aging. It's aged badly. It's oddly from a different era now, kind of like seeing the last dinosaur in existence and realizing it wasn't like the other dinosaurs, but it was still a dinosaur. That's when I realized that every time I saw Meadows on The Goldbergs I was hoping for the Tim Meadows from Mean Girls, but was not getting that.

Patton Oswalt is good in AP Bio. He's also the narrator on Goldbergs.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

And, while I enjoy Goldbergs, I wouldn't suggest anyone start watching it. It's golden age has passed. If you were able to start it from Hulu on S1E1, I'd say give it a shot because there's some episodes that are hilarious. Schooled is the spinoff that nobody asked for and nobody likes. It makes little sense and relies heavily on the connection to Goldbergs.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

A weird movie to watch for that different era feel is Ghost World (which I also just recently rewatched). While I still enjoy the movie and rate it high, there are some real cringe-inducing exchanges in the movie. And it wasn't even that long ago.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

I love the Goldbergs. The mom makes me laugh and laugh, especially when she cusses. :lol:

But WTF? I didn't realize there was a spinoff. NO. Just no. No character on that show needs a spinoff.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 pm A weird movie to watch for that different era feel is Ghost World (which I also just recently rewatched). While I still enjoy the movie and rate it high, there are some real cringe-inducing exchanges in the movie. And it wasn't even that long ago.
Yeah, that's another good example. I tried watching it again about a year ago and never finished it. It felt odd and creepy in a way that I can't explain. I hated all the characters you're supposed to like and liked all the characters you're supposed to hate.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:39 pm I love the Goldbergs. The mom makes me laugh and laugh, especially when she cusses. :lol:

But WTF? I didn't realize there was a spinoff. NO. Just no. No character on that show needs a spinoff.
Yeah, it's called Schooled and takes place in the 90's. It's lame. It takes place at the school and is about the teachers. And for some reason they decided to take Lainey from Goldbergs and make her a teacher. Now, that seems reasonable, okay? But we're not to the fucked up part yet. While Lainey is 100% fictional, instead of just saying, "Hey in the 10+ years since she graduated high school on one show and started being a teacher on the other one, she went to college and got a teaching degree". Did they do that? No, because that would make sense. What they did was... Lainey didn't do shit for 10 years and somehow Tim Meadows decided it would be okay to hire her as the music teacher because Lainey knew music.

WHAT?! Why the hell wouldn't you just go with the easy explanation that makes sense instead of trying to shoehorn some stupid idea that makes no sense and isn't grounded in anything believable? That was just the first bad decision that made no sense that the show made. It's been terrible ever since.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

God. This just sounds like Joanie Loves Chachi all over again. :shake:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

It's better than Joanie Loves Chachi, but is just as much of a head scratcher. They've had Erica and Barry guest on it as adult versions of themselves. None of that works, btw. The thing that annoys me about it is that they've got talented people playing teachers, and if they'd just been like, "Hey, here's a general sitcom about schools starring all your favorite teachers from William Penn Academy on Goldbergs" it probably could've been pretty funny. But they really force Lainey into it, for no apparent reason. And then they keep trying to remind you that its a spin off of the Goldbergs all the damn time. NOBODY FUCKING CARES. It's one of those things where if they'd just let it be it could've been a decent show, but they had to fuck it all up while making sure you understand that this is a spinoff, okay? Now, its not the Goldbergs, but it's got a lot of people from the Goldbergs you might like, okay? And we're going to put them out there and stunt cast it every once in a while to remind you. You understand this is a spin off of the Goldbergs right? That's still Lainey right there, you like her right? Well she's still Lainey so you're okay. It's safe. And who knows,, maybe your favorite characters from Goldbergs will drop by every now and then just to remind you that this is a spin off of their show. And you like their show. So maybe you should like this one too. And on and on and on...

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Ugh.

Did they get older actors to play Erica and Barry since it's 10 years later, or do they and Lainey look like the same person they played on the Goldbergs?

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Oh no, they look exactly the same, because so does Lainey. There's a lot you have to process when you watch this show. I forgot, Johnny Adkins is on it too. He's the janitor.