What are you reading?

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Paul Tremblay's latest book is just $1.99 right now.

Post by Alien Redrum »

Fuck that book. Christ that hit a wall of boring.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Alien Redrum »

Finished up The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for the first time. Love the story, but the purple prose has got to go. Ugh.

:2.5stars:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:00 pm Finished up The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for the first time. Love the story, but the purple prose has got to go. Ugh.

The actual original story you mean? We had to read that in elementary school. I agree on the prose.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:28 pm
Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:00 pm Finished up The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for the first time. Love the story, but the purple prose has got to go. Ugh.

The actual original story you mean? We had to read that in elementary school. I agree on the prose.
Yeah. Surprisingly enough, this was one that I was never assigned and just as surprising, never read on my own. I got it for free a few months back and decided to read it finally.

I was disappointed, all things considered, but I'm not sorry I finally read it.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm Yeah. Surprisingly enough, this was one that I was never assigned and just as surprising, never read on my own. I got it for free a few months back and decided to read it finally.

I was disappointed, all things considered, but I'm not sorry I finally read it.
I wonder if you didn't have to read it because you were part of the original 13 colonies. This story was a staple of fall every year in elementary school when we'd study early colonial times and what scared, superstitious people they were. That's not me trying to make fun of east coasters, that's what we learned. I could see that not being a part of your curriculum :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

We were reading books like War and Peace at the elementary school I went to. Did you get assigned that?

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 am We were reading books like War and Peace at the elementary school I went to. Did you get assigned that?
Hmm we had to read Война и мир in the first grade. It was tough learning Russian, but its part of grwoing up in the public school system. :shrug:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 am We were reading books like War and Peace at the elementary school I went to. Did you get assigned that?
That was on the Kindergarten summer reading list for the slow kids.
shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:25 am
Hmm we had to read Война и мир in the first grade. It was tough learning Russian, but its part of grwoing up in the public school system. :shrug:
It was worth it to read Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky though. Not to mention it made it much easier to enjoy Andrei Rublev when we hit our 2nd grade international film studies quarter.

Okay, seriously, was not trying to make an east coast joke. Every fall in Elementary school, we'd learn about the early life of colonists and as it it got closer to Halloween they'd roll in the headless horseman, witches, and other stories along those lines. I'm pretty sure it was to keep us all engaged around Halloween, but there was a lot on how colonists were superstitious and stupid enough to believe things like the horseman. After Halloween all that became stuff about Pilgrims as we were heading into Thanksgiving.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Not going to lie, I'm a little jealous. I mean, I probably would have liked this a lot more when I was a kid in school.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:56 pm Not going to lie, I'm a little jealous. I mean, I probably would have liked this a lot more when I was a kid in school.
You probably would've, but it wouldn't have lasted long. I think the average 20th century 8 year old was quite a bit more sophisticated than the average 18th century colonial. :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:rotfl:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I finished this Eddie Generous' Great Big Teeth. Not going to get too much into it, but it's a lot of fun like his prior book, Radio Run. We're giving away 4 copies right now as a contest, so if you like books with dinosaurs attacking, go enter.

I'm now reading Black Christmas while I wait for another review book to come in. Having fun with it so far, but I don't think I ever liked the guy talking to himself in the movie, and it's a little eyerolly in the book as well.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Black Christmas was decent. Glad I read it because it makes me want to watch the film again.

Reading another book by Eddie Generous right now, Head-Broken and Heartbroken. I'm really liking his work (I've reviewed three of his works so far and I'm a fast fan).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PR ... horro06-20

Up next will be Jeff Strand's latest, My Pretties. Man this guy is good.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Pretties-Jeff ... horro06-20

After that, I hope to do something again for the Horror DNA reading club. I really enjoyed those.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Recently finished Bob Ford's collection, The God Beneath My Garden. This was my introduction to his work and to say I was impressed is an understatement. He's a storyteller like Lansdale (but with a different beat). I'll be writing up my review this weekend. Really good stuff though; painful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP ... horro06-20

I was reading In Darkness Delight for review, but then Shane (a reviewer) mentioned he's doing it. Since I felt the whole thing was kind of meh, I'm kind of glad. Maybe he'll like it better than me. What's frustrating is it's chock full of authors I really like, but nothing really stands out. It's not that the stories are bad, just not very memorable.

https://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Delight ... horro06-20

So now I'm on to another anthology for review and I'm three stories in and LOVING it. It's 3/3 so far. I'm already eager to spill my thoughts on it. This one is called Midnight in the Graveyard and it's from a relatively new publisher, Silver Shamrock (love that name, obvs.).

https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Graveya ... horro06-20

After that, it will be Jeff Strand's latest, Clowns vs. Spiders. Look at how awesome that cover is:

https://www.amazon.com/Clowns-Vs-Spider ... horro06-20

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

All I am getting is amazon logos in your post. No links or covers.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac