What are you reading?

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Alien Redrum »

Okay, I wrote a whole big update last night and I closed the stupid window before I hit submit. :mad: :lol:

Finished The Only Good Indians and holy fuck is it a good and devastating. 5/5. Working the review now, but man I just think Jones is spectacular.

I'm behind on my reading more than I like, and I don't think I'm going to manage a female or black author in February, which sucks. I'm finding I'm liking reading more from minorities as I'm getting a really different point of view that I"m not used to, even if it makes me feel uncomfortable at times.

I'm going to fully concentrate on Blood Standard since I'm over halfway through it, then I'm going to jump in on Chad Lutzke's The Neon Owl: Book 1: When the Shit Hits the Van. I've read a few of Lutzke's horror novels, which I really liked, and this will be the first non-horror I've read from him. This is a mystery, apparently, and he was cool enough to provide me with an ebook for review on Goodreads.

After that, I have a few lined up for review for Horror DNA, both from Silver Shamrock Publishing (a publisher in which I love both the name and I've been digging what they've been releasing).

First will be Shannon Felton's The Prisoners of Stewartville.

After that will either be Paul Kane's Blood Red Sky:

or Bottled by Stephanie Ellis. I'm looking forward to them all, though.

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Alien Redrum wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:51 pm I'm going to fully concentrate on Blood Standard since I'm over halfway through it, then I'm going to jump in on Chad Lutzke's The Neon Owl: Book 1: When the Shit Hits the Van. I've read a few of Lutzke's horror novels, which I really liked, and this will be the first non-horror I've read from him. This is a mystery, apparently, and he was cool enough to provide me with an ebook for review on Goodreads.

Both Blood Standard and The Neon Owl: Book 1: When the Shit Hits the Van are really fucking good. Highly recommend both. They aren't horror, but if you like Elmore Leonard, Neon Owl is a good fit. Blood Standard is kind of like a Lee Child Reacher novel, but...smarter? I don't know. It's like it, but different.

I'm on to Shannon Felton's The Prisoners of Stewartville.

Two chapters in and digging it so far.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Finished up Shannon Felton's The Prisoners of Stewartville. Not bad. Review coming soon.

I started Bottled by Stephanie Ellis.

I might start something else as well because I need a break from horror for a second. Maybe The Executioner #2: Death Squad! :lol:

But I was reading a thread on Reddit about supernatural detectives, and this one was recommended. I found I already have it, so I might give it a whirl:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I lied. I didn't start Bottled. I started Blood Red Sky by Paul Kane instead. It hasn't 'grabbed' me yet, but I'm not bored with it by any means. I'm just waiting for it to kick in.

I also started Allison by Jeff Strand. This one grabbed me from the first chapter. Man, I love his work.

And up next is Stephen Graham Jones' Night of the Mannequins. Honestly, I have no idea what this is even about. :lol: It was offered to us for review and I grabbed it because I love his work.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Allison by Jeff Strand is absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to write the review.

Started Stephen Graham Jones' Night of the Mannequins. I'm one page in and already loving it. He really is a great storyteller. I still don't know the plot. :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I'm SO BEHIND on reading. This Corona really fucked up my schedule.

So I finished CV Hunt's Murder House. Review coming soon, but I dug it.

And I'm going to FINALLY knock out Night of the Mannequins this week. Hopefully.

Also digging Jeff Strand's The Odds. It's reminiscent of Richard Laymon's In the Dark. I love Strand.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I am reading 2023, which is a companion sort of to The Illuminatus! books.

Otherwise I really have not read much at all during this pandemic, which I thought would have the opposite effect.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:40 pmOtherwise I really have not read much at all during this pandemic, which I thought would have the opposite effect.
Right!!!!

I thought I'd be just crushing books left and right, but not at all. I've actually slowed WAY down. It's killing me.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:)

Also still reading The Odds and Night of the Mannequins.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Finished Murder House. I really liked this because it told my expectations to fuck off and became something I did not expect. Review coming soon.

I also finished Night of the Mannequins. It too is really good and different.

I'm almost done with The Odds. Loving this one. A lot.

Now I'm reading:

This is for review. I have no idea what it's about. I just heard a lot of good things. Going in blind.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Finished The Odds late last night. So good.

Started another Eddie Generous for review. So far digging it, but he hasn't disappointed me yet. This doesn't seem to be like a monster one yet, which he typically writes, but I'm only a few chapters in.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

And because sometimes I like to mix it up, I stumbled across this and immediately bought it. Love the theme and a great selection of authors:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

This one is funny as shit. It's like if you made Encyclopedia Brown a hard-boiled series. Well worth the $1.50, even at 22 pages. :lol:

Finished What Lurks Beneath. Lots of fun, as usual with Generous. Review coming on that one.

Haven't started anything new yet.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Finished and reviewed Mr. Cables by Ronald Malfi. GREAT NOVELLA.