What are you reading?

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Alien Redrum »

Oh! And I started this one too because I've heard so much good things about it. It's a coming-of-age horror/serial killer novel and it's written so well so far that I can almost hear Richard Dreyfuss narrating it in my head.

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

FINALLY finished Come With Me, and that sucker is going on the best of for sure.

I've also finished up:

Deep Snow, a fun little short story that's currently free on Amazon.

Art of Atari: Poster Collection. This was an absolute steal for $1.99 a few weeks ago. It's sad it's only 40 or so pages, and I loved going through it a few times.

Mister Glow-Bones and Other Halloween Tales. This is the second book I've read by Robert Kelly, and this collection is a lot of fun. Totally worth the $2.99 it's going for.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

This was so fucking good. It's on my upcoming favorites of 2021. The ending is fanfuckingtastic. You can read my review here.

Another book I finished recently (also on my upcoming 'favorites of') is Man, Fuck This House. Turns the haunted house trope on its ass. Really fun and a perfect title.

Now I'm reading a few:

Hetty by Eddie Generous. I'm a big fan of Generous' work, so I don't read the synopsis of his books because I don't really need to. So I don't know where this is going yet, or even what it's about. I just started it and am trucking along enjoying it:

I'm also about to start Kelli Owen's Six Days. There are some books in her back catalog that I've never read and want to.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

This message board.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Finished Hetty and will be working the review this week.

Currently reading Screams from the Dark, edited by Ellen Datlow, for review. First story is fire!

Recently, Audible had an incredible blowout sale, so I picked up a bunch of books. I'm listening to Haunted Nights, edited by Ellen Datlow and Lisa Morton. The stories are all centered on Halloween, which makes sense because Morton is a damn scholar on the holiday.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Did this one on the side (not for review). Holy shit, violent as hell, a despicable main character (well, most of the characters are), and excellent writing to keep me engrossed.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Currently reading RETURN OF THE LIVING ELVES by Brian Asman for review. This is the same guy who wrote MAN, FUCK THIS HOUSE (which is terrific).

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Also started reading Zodiac by Tom Duffy. The synopsis really got me, and so far it's pretty good. A little raw, as the author is new, but definitely worth the read thus far. Even though he's a prick and still dangerous, the main character has been getting beat up left and right. :lol:
After spending decades murdering based on astrological signs and transcriptions from a strange tome found in the desert, Irv was tired. Now, almost in his nineties, he spends his days in an assisted living home playing cards, taking care of his canary, and being a general menace.

After watching a broadcast about the possibility of a thirteenth zodiac sign, he realizes he may still have a chance at immortality. Maybe the rituals weren’t wrong. Maybe his mentor, Jack the Rocket Scientist, wasn’t wrong. There was only one way to find out.

Irving Stark, bird and oxygen tank in hand, takes off on a quest for eternal life. One last kill. But will he be able to achieve his life-long goal when he runs into a rag-tag occult group searching for the same thing, authorities on his trail, and a body too old to care?

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I'd never read Flowers for Algernon before. To be honest, I never heard of it until It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia did an episode based on the idea.

I listened to it the past week or so and it blew me away. Absolutely amazing novel.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Welcome to my 8th grade English class.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I WISH we had had this in school. Apparently a lot of folks have, but I had bullshit like The Great Gatsby and other suckfests.

This is such a great book ripe for discussion and is definitely more interesting than half the bullshit I read in high school.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

We read it before high school. We also read Gatsby in high school.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I can't remember what I read prior to high school. Probably Where the Red Fern Grows and books like that.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:35 pm I can't remember what I read prior to high school. Probably Where the Red Fern Grows and books like that.
So you went to baby school then? We also read to kill a mockingbird in 8th grade.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

Pretty much. Our school system was pretty lacking where I grew up.