What are you reading?

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Neon Maniac »

I've read The Passage and the first sequel. Phenomenal. Amazing. No spoilers, but the way things are presented are really unique and interesting. Like the vampire outbreak is very much a disease. But then there's also a supernatural aspect to it as well. It really demonstrates the mundane and practical. It also moves around quite a bit, without warning, and so it's one of those books that you have to be open minded about and just take everything at face value, because the chapter you just started 3/4 of the way through the book has absolutely nothing to do with any part of the book you've read so far, and you'll find out how it fits later. So don't beat yourself up trying to figure out who/what you're reading and did you miss something key earlier where this makes sense?

Seriously don't expect the series to be anything like the book. I'm not saying it's not going to be a good series or anything like that, but once you read The Passage you'll understand.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:59 pm I've read The Passage and the first sequel. Phenomenal. Amazing. No spoilers, but the way things are presented are really unique and interesting. Like the vampire outbreak is very much a disease. But then there's also a supernatural aspect to it as well. It really demonstrates the mundane and practical. It also moves around quite a bit, without warning, and so it's one of those books that you have to be open minded about and just take everything at face value, because the chapter you just started 3/4 of the way through the book has absolutely nothing to do with any part of the book you've read so far, and you'll find out how it fits later. So don't beat yourself up trying to figure out who/what you're reading and did you miss something key earlier where this makes sense?

Seriously don't expect the series to be anything like the book. I'm not saying it's not going to be a good series or anything like that, but once you read The Passage you'll understand.
I'm liking it a lot so far. I can tell the author is moving all the players into place before he gets to it. (I'm dying to know why that guy was on death row, what really happened.)

I knew I was all in when the mother took her little girl to the church and what followed (VERY early on in the book). I was like NOOOO. :(

I'm not even going to watch the series until I finish the book. I'm digging it too much to see what happens on TV.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I really liked the first one. The second one I ended up reading in a weekend, without meaning to. It was that good. I tried to start the third and it was a non-starter. I couldn't get in to it for some reason, but I think it had less to do with the story and more to do with me at the time. I plan on trying it again.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I'm still digging the passage, but I also like to break it up sometimes. After reading Chad Lutzke's novella Skullboy (which is fanfuckingtastic), I knocked out two more of his: Out Behind the Barn (co-written with John Boden) and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H7 ... horro06-20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HX ... horro06-20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018W ... horro06-20

All are very enjoyable (with my favorite of the three being Skullface Boy).

I'm hearing a lot about his Stirring the Sheets. Probably gonna give that a spin next. I'm really liking his work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C1 ... horro06-20

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

So I'm a 1/3 of the way through The Passage (I'm reading other books in between), and I got to the part where they are in the camp guarding the wall. It's obviously in the future. OMG IS THIS FUCKING BORING.

Not only is it boring, they all have stupid names and stupid titles like "BonBon of the second house Whoopdidoo".

Up until Philly, where they were putting everyone on that train, the book was MOVING. But now it's hit a wall.

I have to assume we get past this nonsense.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

All of this "nonsense" as you put it, is extremely important and not "nonsense" at all. :shake:

Sorry you don't like their names :(

This is what I was trying to say before. All of the books have several books in them. This is the start of another book, so it's starting as if it were a new book. I really wouldn't try to read 9 other things while you read this, otherwise you're just going to dillute what you're reading and confuse yourself. This part that you're 'bored' by will tell you everything you need to know about what happened with the world, and what's going on now, but you actually have to pay attention no matter what people are named, Bojangles.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

It sucks. I liked every other story up to that point, then it all came to a screetching halt so I can read about Captain Dirge, First Born of the First Family Lottidah, son of Jinxy, and his love for General Sari, no First Family because she's a Walker.

IF I WANTED TO READ GAME OF THRONES, I'D READ GAME OF THRONES. :mad:

God can't wait to get through this part.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Right, it's the book's problem. That's why it was a runaway best seller that was turned into a TV series and everyone but you loves it.

:lol:

Yeah, parts can be boring, but not really any part of these books are wasted space. Everything has a reason.

The begets and so on's...
Spoiler:
You're reading the new Bible that was written after the vampires are finally destroyed once and for all. The book isn't telling you what happened real time like a regular book, this was written sometime way in the future after all of the events took place.

So, everything you read in the book is a 3rd or 4th hand story as told to and by someone, and handed down over generations. And like the old testament, the people, their relationships and so on are all recorded as they're all tied together. You just don't know why they're tied together yet. This is also why the book is both very straightforward/scientific and then also gets supernatural at points with things. I think the supernatural parts are sometimes real and other times imagined by the assumed author (not Justin, but the person writing it in the future) as a means to an end.
I added more to the spoiler if you hadn't read it.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Finished this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stirring-Sheets- ... horro06-20

Not really horror, but definitely dark and a little heartbreaking. Lutzke can really write some likable characters.

Started this one. I've never read it before and it should be a quick read:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NC ... horro06-20

And I'll be starting this one probably tomorrow for review. I'm looking forward to it because Radio Run is a lot of fun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P2 ... horro06-20

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Did you ever finish The Passage?
Spoiler:
I didn't think so.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Alien Redrum wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:01 amAnd I'll be starting this one probably tomorrow for review. I'm looking forward to it because Radio Run is a lot of fun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P2 ... horro06-20
Dang! This has sucked me in fast like Radio Run did. This guy might be a new favorite.

He also runs Unnerving Magazine, which is pretty good and he had a RIDICULOUS sale on it about a month or two ago. I ended up buying two years of it.

Here's the latest. Great lineup:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KNFLFSC/?tag=horro06-20

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I think you're missing something there, Chief.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Paul Tremblay's latest book is just $1.99 right now.

Post by Neon Maniac »

Have you finished The Passage yet?