Repairman Jack series.

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Repairman Jack series.

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

The Keep is probably the worst in that series. I liked the idea of the symbolism (crucifixes vs. jewish stars vs. whatever), but I remember it being a slower read.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

19itmicmac
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by 19itmicmac »

Alien Redrum wrote::lol:

The Keep is probably the worst in that series. I liked the idea of the symbolism (crucifixes vs. jewish stars vs. whatever), but I remember it being a slower read.
Interesting, I really enjoyed The Keep and didn't find it slow at all, so if you're saying that the other novels are better, then it looks like I should have a really good time reading them.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

They definitely have more action. I was disappointed in the lack of Repairman Jack in Night World, so I'm really looking forward to Cold City to hopefully make up for that.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

19itmicmac
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by 19itmicmac »

I thought Night World was part of the Adversary Cycle, is Repairman Jack also part of that series?

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I'll defer to Neon as he's read both, but:
They all tie into eachother with Nightworld being not just the end, but the end of the Repariman Jack series too. Technically anyways, because he wrote that book before Jack was even a series, I believe. Things in all the Jack novels tie into all the Adversary novels, and a lot of characters come in and out of them. Also, a couple of things in the later Jack novels won't have the same meaning (or at least make much sense) if you haven't at least read The Keep.
That said, the version of Nightworld I read was an updated version with more Repairman Jack.

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

Alien Redrum wrote::lol:

That was the one bit I liked about The Keep. If vampires are scared or hurt by crucifixes, what does that mean for Jews? I haven't seen that brought up elsewhere and after I read it I wondered why no one else thought of it (to my knowledge).

19itmicmac
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by 19itmicmac »

Alien Redrum wrote:I'll defer to Neon as he's read both, but:
They all tie into eachother with Nightworld being not just the end, but the end of the Repariman Jack series too. Technically anyways, because he wrote that book before Jack was even a series, I believe. Things in all the Jack novels tie into all the Adversary novels, and a lot of characters come in and out of them. Also, a couple of things in the later Jack novels won't have the same meaning (or at least make much sense) if you haven't at least read The Keep.
That said, the version of Nightworld I read was an updated version with more Repairman Jack.
So with that knowledge, do you know if there is a certain order in which to read both series, can you run them together or is it best to read The Adversary Cycle first, then the Repairman Jack series.

Here is an example of what I mean by running them together: Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont co-created a fantasy series called The Malazan: Book of the Fallen. Both writers wrote seperate novels that coincided with each others. You can read them seperately and still enjoy them but if you want to get the story in chronological order then you shouldn't read them by their publication order, here is what I mean.

Publication order

Gardens of the Moon/Erikson
Deadhouse Gates/Erikson
Memories of Ice/Erikson
House of Chains/Erikson
Midnight Tides/Erikson
Night of Knives/Esslemont
The Bonehunters/Erikson
Reaper's Gale/Erikson
Return of the Crimson Guard/Esslemont
Toll the Hounds/Erikson
Dust of Dreams/Erikson
Stonewielder/Esslemont
The Crippled God/Erikson
Orb, Sceptre, Throne/Esslemont
Blood and Bone/Esslemont

In-Depth Chronological Order of the Series

Prologue I of Midnight Tides/Prologue I of Reaper's Gale
Prologue I of Memories of Ice
Prologue II of Memories of Ice
Prologue of Gardens of the Moon
Night of Knives
Prologue II of Midnight Tides
Chapter 1 of Gardens of the Moon
Midnight Tides
Prologue and Book I of House of Chains
Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates/Memories of Ice (occur simultaneously)
Books II-IV of House of Chains
Prologue II of Reaper's Gale
The Bonehunters
Return of the Crimson Guard
Reaper's Gale
Toll the Hounds
Dust of Dreams
The Crippled God
Orb, Sceptre, Throne?
Blood and Bone?

I'm sure this order is a little more complicated than the Repairman Jack/Adversary Cycle's chronological order but it gives you an idea of what I'm hoping to find out, at least I hope it does, lol.

By the way, yes, I am crazy enough to want to read in chronological order. :D

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

19itmicmac
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by 19itmicmac »

Alien Redrum wrote:BOOM
That's perfect, thanks.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote:
Spez wrote:Not in my copy. :mad:
Neon is thinking of the polariods I glued into his copy...

No I wasn't. :(
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

19itmicmac wrote:I thought Night World was part of the Adversary Cycle, is Repairman Jack also part of that series?
He is, but he's a tiny part of it. Forgive me, it's been years since I've read all of these so don't take what I'm saying as word of God facts, just understand the 'spirit' of what I'm saying.

The Adversary Cycle wasn't planned, it was a couple of common theme books that Wilson expanded on and tied a couple of later books into, and then had to finish up with the end of the world. Night World being the climax of the series, and ending everything. Jack's in it, as are Jack's friends, but they are tiny parts to it, almost bit players. Think of Night World being the Avengers of the series. All the separate heroes come together, and none of them are the main hero or star.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote:
shiki-jitsu wrote:
Spez wrote:Not in my copy. :mad:
Neon is thinking of the polariods I glued into his copy...

No I wasn't. :(
But you are now :gay: :sadjack:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac