Official Horror DNA Book Club Thread

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Official Horror DNA Book Club Thread

Post by Alien Redrum »

Wanna start Husk on Monday? Should be a quick one?
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Sure, I am in.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

This is on sale for $0.99 right now with 4/5 with 1,400+ reviews. I've read on of hers and enjoyed it.

Possible future read?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073XV3K8/?tag=horro06-20

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I am seeing it.

Anyway I am down for this book. Its free on Unlimited.
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:41 pm I am seeing it.

Anyway I am down for this book. Its free on Unlimited.
Alternatively, I have about every book of Jeff Strand's, who is really good, but I don't know if he'd be someone you'd enjoy.

It looks like a ton of his books are on Unlimited/Prime too, so if you want to do a Strand, I'm down (his work is generally "light" too, making for quick reads).

https://amzn.to/2F8Nf0L

Or we can do something you suggest? I'm open to about anything because I love these.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I split the discussion. The avatar/amazon issues thread is now here.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Okay, here are a few I've been eyeballing, but I'm so open to this.

Horrorstor by Grady Henrix (author of My Best Friend's Exorcism). It's only $2.99 right now (all of these are Kindle prices):

The Montauk Monster by Hunter Shea. His books are ridiculous and fun. Monster books. This is on sale right now for $0.99.

Catfish in the Cradle by Wile E. Young. I've not read a thing by this guy, but I've heard decent things about this.

The Hematophages by Stephen Kozeniewski. I've heard a lot of good about this. Space horror.

Gone to See the River Man by Kristopher Triana.

Halloween Fiend by C.V. Hunt. I've read three things by her and enjoyed each one (especially Baby Hater).

Like I said, I'm TOTALLY open for discussion. These are just some things on my TBR.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Oh! Here's one more. [amazonus]Bad Man[/amazonus] by Dathan Auerbach. He wrote a book that (I think) was originally on Reddit's /r/nosleep and ended up being published. It's called Penpal and it effectively creeped me out. Bad Man is his next one and is getting good reviews.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

My initial thought was a good ghost story would be nice.

From what you listed I already have horrostor on my kindle so that is always an option. Bad Man sounds tempting. I looked at the description of a couple of the others and nothing stood out to me.
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Excellent! I'll look for some ghost stories then!

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Okay, what do you think about these?

So this is a MONSTER at about 800 pages, but it's an anthology, and it's Ellen Datlow-edited, arguably the best horror anthologier ever. The downside is I don't know if you want to do 800 pages. The upside is it's a bunch of different authors and we might find someone we want to read more of in the future. It's a great lineup:

I love Stephen Graham Jones' work. And the idea of a house being bigger on the inside than the out creeps me the fuck out (just like it did in House of Leaves):

I've heard good things about Jac Jemc's The Grip of It, but am unfamiliar with the author:

As above, I've heard good things, but can't vouch personally:

Or we can go old school. I don't remember reading any of these:

If none of those appeal to you, I'll keep digging!

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I think I am down for the Anthology. It's a long one, but we can easily divide it up, so I like that and there is a good mix of authors that I know and don't know in it. Would love to get someone else in on this as well but I doubt that will happen. :lol:
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:37 pmWould love to get someone else in on this as well but I doubt that will happen. :lol:

Just let me know when you want to start!

I'll go do the thread now. I'm thinking three stories at a time, like chapters. But if you don't like that, I'm open!

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

If you're talking about me, I cant. I've got a stack of books I'm reading for work, as well as reading and learning how to use a new software package I'm adminning for work. I know the term "essential worker" has gotten thrown around a lot in the last few months, but some of us are more "essential" than others and our workload has increased while the non-essential workers have gotten to stay home and take pics of their pets, bake bread and read for fun.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:40 am If you're talking about me, I cant. I've got a stack of books I'm reading for work, as well as reading and learning how to use a new software package I'm adminning for work.
You're so vain. Or vane. Or maybe vein. :mad:
I know the term "essential worker" has gotten thrown around a lot in the last few months, but some of us are more "essential" than others and our workload has increased while the non-essential workers have gotten to stay home and take pics of their pets, bake bread and read for fun.
I wish I could walk around with a signature because I would go straight to work with that. I should put it on a shirt. So accurate. :lol: