[HDNA #02] - My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: [HTBC] - My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 am I read the next three chapters. OMG.
I know!!
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

My favorite picture so far in the book... spoiler from Missionary Man...
Spoiler:
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by Alien Redrum »

I laughed so hard. I will be putting in something I highlighted when I get to a computer.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Spoilers for Chapters 16-18 :
Missionary Man
Dancing in the Dark
She Blinded Me With Science

First and foremost, am I the only one who thought Glee was going to eat it on the way to that medical center via a car wreck? I was sure of it, especially when on the way back Abby made eye contact with them.

And WTF was up with the fucking basket of fetuses. Seriously, WTF is up with this town???

So, if Tom is gonna start a band called The Dukes of Neon, they can open for my band, The Lemon Brothers Faith and Fitness Show. This is probably one of the best introductions to a new character/characters in the book. :lol:
And that's when I look up and say, "That was you, God. Thank you! Thank you for taking my load!"
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Now, jumping back a bit, I have to wonder if Christian is the dead exorcist mentioned at the beginning. And there's something telling about the exorcist named Christian if so. This was a great chapter not just because of my new band, but Wallace got a little comeuppance.

The following chapters the shake's purpose comes to form. I'm surprised it didn't make her fatter (who said it would, Neon or Shiki?), but rather she's losing a shit ton of weight.

Margaret is such a bitch, it's really hard for me to feel sorry for her. She did, however, give us this lovely nugget:
"One day you'll grow up, too," Margaret sid. "And then you'll experience the mautre pleasures of boning."
:lol:

Her and Wallace were made for each other because they are both so cringy (especially how he acted when he go those roses).

One of the creepiest parts in the book came when Abby was talking to Bad Gretchen in the class, and Good Gretchen broke through with the upside down writing. Yikes! That was followed up when Abby called the phone number, expected Alan to answer. That creeped me the fuck out. WHERE IS THAT PHONE???

Poor Abby and her pimple face getting worse. :(

Shout out to the kid killing his parents because of D&D. <3

Last, but definitely, 100%, not least:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I want to see the picture but haven't read it yet. :(
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

YOU ARE IN FOR A TREAT.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

:)

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Missionary Man
Dancing in the Dark

I thought Shiki had posted about these chapters, but I don't see it now. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I thought I'd say something since the board wants to hide things on me now.

Rubber is definitely hitting the road now. The Lemon brothers were awesome. I remember a couple of groups like this that would show up on the religious channels and lift logs and bend frying pains while praising Jesus. I'm excited that one of them is an exorcist. That should be interesting.

Yeah, I was totes wrong about him ripping off Mean Girls. Now I'm switching gears because I think the demon is torturing them by giving them exactly what they want. I think Margaret's going to wither away. I don't get the awesome pics you do, but I was seeing Margaret's food diary where she goes from eating not much to just drinking shakes and losing her grip on lined paper.

I think Glee is banging the priest. I think that's the way her and the priest have been corrupted.

The notebook and upside down writing was interesting, but the call on the phone was too much. Will she keep calling at 11:06? Has she found the way to break thru to her? Hmmm....

The field trip was just odd. Why would that bucket just be there? Did people actually do these field trips? No school I ever went to did, but apparently Ridgemont High also went to look at dead bodies.

With Halloween coming, is something going to happen? Or is it all smoke and mirrors? Interesting that Mr. Lemon was able to see that she's possessed by an Owl demon. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of native american connection going on.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Missionary Man
Dancing in the Dark

I want to comment on here but I need to be careful, I can't keep track of what chapter was what now and I am way ahead. I tried to slow down but I can't now that it is all picking up speed.

Christian Lemon is amazing. That whole Lemon Bros introduction was awesome. I never had anything like that at my school and I feel like I missed out. I also never got to go on a school trip to see dead people.

I am really enjoying this book. It has surprised me in some ways in the direction it chose to go. I really loved the fake-out that the whole first half made it seem like Gretchen's parents were the religious ones that would be the ones to bring in the exorcist. But no! Its Abby that gets that ball rolling with a chance encounter with the Lemon Bros Faith and Fucking Fitness Show. I loved that for some reason.

I love how that all came in to work with the words that the last chapter ended on: "The next day the exorcist arrived." He has to be the exorcist... but then I am sad he is killed in the beginning of the book (unless that is not what really happens)

And then you get that beefcake jesus freak.

These chapters really just get everything right and start the move towards the ending of the book. I am excited to see where this all goes, but I also do not want it to end.

I can't wait to read his other books.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

OMG I know you already finished it.

Thinking about it now, I think there were a group of inspirational (but not religious) body builders who came to our school, but I think I missed out on it. :(

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:55 am OMG I know you already finished it.

Thinking about it now, I think there were a group of inspirational (but not religious) body builders who came to our school, but I think I missed out on it. :(
So jealous right now.

I’m not finished yet. Very close though. The next chapters really start to fly by.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I bet. I can see why you'd read ahead, it's a good story and well written. It flows fairly smoothly.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 am YOU ARE IN FOR A TREAT.
That was a treat, thank you.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Missionary Man
Dancing in the Dark

Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:01 pmI thought Shiki had posted about these chapters, but I don't see it now. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I thought I'd say something since the board wants to hide things on me now.
That was me and it's two posts up. :(
Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:01 pmThe notebook and upside down writing was interesting, but the call on the phone was too much. Will she keep calling at 11:06? Has she found the way to break thru to her? Hmmm....
What do you mean, too much? You didn't like it?

I loved it. It was kind of like Carol Anne in Poltergeist. Good Gretchen is gone but not really. She's trapped. AND WHERE IS THAT PHONE!!
Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:01 pmThe field trip was just odd. Why would that bucket just be there? Did people actually do these field trips? No school I ever went to did, but apparently Ridgemont High also went to look at dead bodies.
Maybe it depends on the school? Like, this is a fancy pants school, so maybe they go to cooler places? I don't know. I went to white trash schools.
Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:01 pmWith Halloween coming, is something going to happen? Or is it all smoke and mirrors? Interesting that Mr. Lemon was able to see that she's possessed by an Owl demon. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of native american connection going on.
I totally missed where he said owl demon! :eek:
shiki-jitsu wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 amI want to comment on here but I need to be careful, I can't keep track of what chapter was what now and I am way ahead. I tried to slow down but I can't now that it is all picking up speed.
For the love of god, write down your thoughts as you go. I'm begging you. Just do what I do; I knock out 3 and write my thoughts. I think you're going to finish first but I'm right behind you but I don't want anything even accidentally ruined. :(
shiki-jitsu wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 amChristian Lemon is amazing. That whole Lemon Bros introduction was awesome. I never had anything like that at my school and I feel like I missed out. I also never got to go on a school trip to see dead people.
:lol:

All of this. And Lemon Keeps. Getting. Better. He's a caricature, but fuck if I didn't know a person or two like that in high school.
shiki-jitsu wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 amI am really enjoying this book. It has surprised me in some ways in the direction it chose to go. I really loved the fake-out that the whole first half made it seem like Gretchen's parents were the religious ones that would be the ones to bring in the exorcist. But no! Its Abby that gets that ball rolling with a chance encounter with the Lemon Bros Faith and Fucking Fitness Show. I loved that for some reason.
While I didn't think Gretchen's parents would bring in the exorcist, two things happened that surprised me because I figured they'd go in another direction, and it was SO OBVIOUS that I wasn't surprised I was wrong. Hendrix is fucking knocking it out here.
shiki-jitsu wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 amI can't wait to read his other books.
This is just $1.99 right now, but it will go up soon. Like REAL soon because it's been on sale for a while now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JC ... horro06-20

My buddy bough me an autographed version of this in New York. It's as glorious as it looks:

https://www.amazon.com/Paperbacks-Hell- ... horro06-20

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Yeah I bought Horrorstor already. I've been eyeing that Paperbacks book. Now I want an autographed copy.
Letterboxd