The Walking Dead art is just not good.

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

The Walking Dead art is just not good.

Post by Alien Redrum »

I'm reading The Walking Dead again (well, kind of, I never completely finished it off) because of that stellar Humble Bundle deal a while back, and I forgot how much I hate the art. 90% of the characters look the same. I mean, yes, there are a few that stand out (Michonne, Tyreese, Glenn, that prisoner with the curly hair), but for the most part, I can't tell the difference between Carol and any other character with blonde hair. Hershel and Dale are interchangeable (well, until Hershel lost his leg).

I still dig it though. The story is great and it's far more brutal than the TV show could ever hope to be.

It's just unfortunate that the art is so blah. I think color might have helped it.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: The Walking Dead art is just not good.

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, the art was never that great. I liked the honest/brutal storytelling of the comic. I never finished it either. I've never finished the TV series either. The TV show just got ridiculous after awhile.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Yeah, I can tell you the exact moment I fucking stopped:
Spoiler:
When Glenn escaped from under the dumpster. Bullshit lazy writing. Me quitting was a long time coming.
The only reason I stopped the comics is because I didn't have them all and stopped buying them, and was just going to buy the omnibuses when they were a good price. Lucky, that Humble Bundle deal was even better. I'm blowing through them. I love how fucking unapologetic they are.

Lori's an annoying bitch in the comics too. Her and Rick deserve each other.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I gave up reading them when I lost the link to the comics site that posted new comics digitally for free. That was quite some time ago, about the time right after Negan. And that's another thing, I really hated Negan in the TV show. yeah, everybody loves him blah blah blah. But the comic Negan was better. I still didn't like him though. it felt like they ran out of ideas and just kept sending the same villain after him over and over again in the guise of other villains.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I liked The Governor (who they chose to play him) in the show, but fuck if they didn't water him down. The show is just weak ass bullshit. I really liked the first few seasons, but the longer it went on, the more pussy the showrunners were.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yep. I felt like it was a stripped and watered down version of the comic. I also hated that they'd latch on to something from the comic that was maybe 2 comics, and they'd try to get a season out of it.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I just finished the Prison story. Holy fuck, I forgot how fucking brutal it was. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

There's so much in there that's brutal that never made it into the series. And I hated in the series how they'd do so little in the series and it would drag on. For adults, not a big deal. You can stretch a story that takes place in 2.5 years over 10 seasons if you need to. But when you have characters who are kids, you can't do that. Carl starts out the correct age, but suddenly he's like 28 and growing a beard, where in the actual timeline of the story, he's 12.

Things like that can skew a story and characters. It was much more menacing having Negan take Carl under his wing when Carl's like 12. But in the show, Carl's like 40 and Negan's like "whatever"

And didn't Judith get eaten in the comic? I like how she's a baby, but Carl ages like 25 years and she's still a baby. Weird shit happens in the zombie apocalypse, I guess. Carl used to be my favorite character in the comics because he was a weird, brutal little fuck. He used to kill people who he thought wanted to "like" the girls/women he "liked". None of that is in the show.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

Judith's uh situation was AWESOME.
Spoiler:
When Lori was shot during the whole prison thing, she was holding Judith, and Judith ate the bullet too. :eek: :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

That's right. I knew something had happened, but I couldn't remember what. But really, just more AMC execs being pussies.

I also gave up on Walking Dead because it honestly became them walking along the same road, in the same woods, and going into the same houses over and over again. I hate when shows do that. I get budgets but I also want realism. I liked the hospital scenario just because it was no longer on that same stretch of road they've shown since season 1. I'm kind of a snob that way, and things begin losing credibility with me if they do that. I can admit that. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to be different.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Plus, as much money as that show was raking in, they could afford some locations.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, that's also what pisses me off about that. They were a successful show that only did a dozen episodes. They should've had a budget to do that. But why bother when you just live in hillbilly woods for the rest of the show?