Reason #113413 why I'm glad I have a Sony and not a Kindle

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Reason #113413 why I'm glad I have a Sony and not a Kindle

Post by Alien Redrum »

This morning, hundreds of Amazon Kindle owners awoke to discover that books by a certain famous author had mysteriously disappeared from their e-book readers. These were books that they had bought and paid for—thought they owned.

But no, apparently the publisher changed its mind about offering an electronic edition, and apparently Amazon, whose business lives and dies by publisher happiness, caved. It electronically deleted all books by this author from people’s Kindles and credited their accounts for the price.

This is ugly for all kinds of reasons. Amazon says that this sort of thing is “rare,” but that it can happen at all is unsettling; we’ve been taught to believe that e-books are, you know, just like books, only better. Already, we’ve learned that they’re not really like books, in that once we’re finished reading them, we can’t resell or even donate them. But now we learn that all sales may not even be final.

As one of my readers noted, it’s like Barnes & Noble sneaking into our homes in the middle of the night, taking some books that we’ve been reading off our nightstands, and leaving us a check on the coffee table.

You want to know the best part? The juicy, plump, dripping irony?

The author who was the victim of this Big Brotherish plot was none other than George Orwell. And the books were “1984” and “Animal Farm.”

Scary.
Wow. Douchey move, amazon. :lol:

Link.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Reason #113413 why I'm glad I have a Sony and not a Kindle

Post by The Hitman »

Hee. Irony indeed.
Retired reviewer

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Amazon are fucking retarded. :lol:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by Neon Maniac »

:lol:

Yeah, I believe they did that to Ayn Rand too. :shake:

That's kind of the 'dark side' to their whispernet. Sure, you've got 24/7 internet on it; but at the same time Amazon reserves the right to enable it, go through your content, and delete what it wants. This is all in the terms of service, and it applies to things that you didn't necessarily buy from Amazon.

There's two other Kindle controversies going on right now too, one's a class action lawsuit.

The K2 didn't ship with a cover, they made you buy it seperately for $40. They said it was to keep the cost of the K2 down. People who bought both have now noticed that their K2 cases are cracking, splitting, and shattering where the cover attaches to the case. Amazon refused to replace or repair any of the K2's that now had broken cases and offered to sell people new ones at a discount of $200. A bunch of users got together and now there's a class action against them because their cover, the one they specifically designed for the K2, destroys the K2. I've heard they've started doing no questions asked returns on them now, fwiw.

Also, a Chinese company has started bootlegging the K2, not unlike all the iPod knockoffs that started coming out. There aren't a lot of specs out there for it, but from what I've read it's got wifi instead of whispernet and has an SD slot where the K2 doesn't.

:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously