Ebooks outsell paper this Christmas at Amazon.

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Ebooks outsell paper this Christmas at Amazon.

Post by Alien Redrum »

Ready or not, here comes the future of reading.

Amazon announced today that it sold more e-books this Christmas than it did the paper variety, a first in its history.

In an interview this month with The New York Times, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos predicted the sea-change, stating, "It won't be too long before we're selling more electronic books than physical books."

On Christmas day, at least, that vision came true. But there's a certain logic to the finding that e-books outsold paper ones on Christmas. If, as Amazon claims, the Kindle was its biggest gift this holiday season, then it stands to reason that a person receiving a Kindle would be tempted to download an e-book to give the device a trial run.

Amazon stock rose in early trading Monday on the news of robust holiday sales, including the Kindle and the electronic books that one reads on it.
Link

Wow, I knew that Ebooks were taking off, but this is pretty insane.

THANK YOU NEON FOR GETTING ME ON THE EBOOK BOAT!
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Ebooks outsell paper this Christmas at Amazon.

Post by Neon Maniac »

I have been seeing a lot more around now, especially since I take the train to work. And I've had a lot more people coming up to me when I'm reading at lunch or on a smoke break asking if it's an ebook. I think they're definitely starting to catch the interest, I'm just wondering if it's going to be enough to take it main stream. I remember when mp3 players were an oddity, and then kind of took off all at once.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Basically we need Apple to make a shitty overpriced inferior ZOMG ITS HIP ereader and it will become the most amazing thing ever.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

shiki-jitsu wrote:Basically we need Apple to make a shitty overpriced inferior ZOMG ITS HIP ereader and it will become the most amazing thing ever.
Wait. Apple is making an e-reader? Where do I stand on line for hours with the other hipsters?

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Exactly. :shake:
Letterboxd

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

shiki-jitsu wrote:Basically we need Apple to make a shitty overpriced inferior ZOMG ITS HIP ereader and it will become the most amazing thing ever.
I think you'll find it's iReader, Shiki. :shake:
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

iRritating?

Hee.

My Mom and my sis-in-law have them. Both like them. I like reading books. But I'm tempted. Trouble is, I read books over and over, so I'd want to re-buy my favorites. Thus, spending $100s on books I already own. Sigh.
Retired reviewer

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

The Hitman wrote:iRritating?

Hee.

My Mom and my sis-in-law have them. Both like them. I like reading books. But I'm tempted. Trouble is, I read books over and over, so I'd want to re-buy my favorites. Thus, spending $100s on books I already own. Sigh.
Or maybe not.... if you joint he super secret sony ereader club... I'm just saying.... >_>
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, no shit. You'll probably never have to buy a book at all, Hitman. :shake:

But I also want to address a myth you bring up. You like to read books over and over again. Awesome. Nothing says you can't do that. Nothing says if you buy an ereader, that's all you can read from now on until it breaks, gets stolen, or you sell it. If you want to read a book that you already own, just read it. Meanwhile, we have GIG-O-BYTES of free books for the Sony. Also, there is no difference in the reading experience from reading a paper book and a real ereader. Other than the ereader is lighter, easier to hold, and has clearer text that is easier on your eyes, anyways.

Before you say you like the smell of books, keep in mind that A) that smell is mold; B) that's a fetish, and has nothing to do with reading.

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

Neon Maniac wrote: But I also want to address a myth you bring up. You like to read books over and over again. Awesome. Nothing says you can't do that. Nothing says if you buy an ereader, that's all you can read from now on until it breaks, gets stolen, or you sell it. If you want to read a book that you already own, just read it.
I'm speaking more of my specific situation. If I had a Kindle or eWhatever, I'd probably take it on vacations and things like that, in lieu of, say, carrying three hardbacks that weigh a lot more in my carry-on.

I realize I'm not going to dump all my books - many aren't e-books, I'm sure. I just mean, I'd want to buy at least my 10 or so favorite books if they were available, just so I'd have access to them on the eReadthingy.

I don't know. I suspect I'll cave eventually. When I have money again.
Retired reviewer

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Or. instead of buying them, you could just download them for free.