Squid game

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Squid game

Post by Neon Maniac »

Has anyone else watched this? I just finished this and I liked it. I'm hoping for a second season.

And then it struck me in the final episode that I think some of the female voices were done by the same people who dubbed Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. And then I realized that this is basically 9 episodes of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. I mean it's not as exciting, the games aren't as fun, but the tournament play is pretty much exactly the same. Some asshole in Korea totally ripped off Most Extreme Elimination Challenge as far as I'm concerned.

And before some artsy-fartsy person comes in saying oh I would never listen to the dubbed voices. Well Sunshine let me put it this way for you. The subtitles are terrible. Half the stuff isn't even there, and what is their passes for decent Engrish. So what you're going to want to do is turn on subtitles and have the dub going so you can see for yourself.

And that's the bottom line. Because Stone Cold said so.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Squid game

Post by DJBenz »

I just started watching it. Original language with subtitles, because I am an aristocrat. :djbenzine:
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'd really suggest doing the dubbed one. The subtitles are absolutely terrible and often are nowhere near the same.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Ive watched through episode 3 so far. Its ok. Ia m not overly wowed, not quite sure why this is getting as much mainstream love as it is as I am surprised people are liking the pacing of it.

As for the dubbed vs subbed, I have seen plenty of things peripherally about how bad the dub is and that the dub is actually more inaccurate. So idk, ymmv. It doesn't matter, I will watch the original language version if given the chance. And the few specific examples I have seen about the sub translations aren't as glaring as people are making them out to be.

But I am just a fancy, artsy-fartsy boy :toot:

Maybe will finish this up tonight.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:03 pm Ive watched through episode 3 so far. Its ok. Ia m not overly wowed, not quite sure why this is getting as much mainstream love as it is as I am surprised people are liking the pacing of it.

As for the dubbed vs subbed, I have seen plenty of things peripherally about how bad the dub is and that the dub is actually more inaccurate. So idk, ymmv. It doesn't matter, I will watch the original language version if given the chance. And the few specific examples I have seen about the sub translations aren't as glaring as people are making them out to be.

But I am just a fancy, artsy-fartsy boy :toot:

Maybe will finish this up tonight.

Okay. So, keep in mind that what I'm saying comes from a place of love and friendship. I'm here to help you, not tear you down. Let's start.

You're watching with the original language and English dub. Cool. Let's start there. And really, this is the only place we're going to go.

I'm guessing you don't speak Korean. Awesome, neither do I. Why would we? So, listening to the original language is really not doing anything for you. So, your entire understanding of what's happening is 100% coming from the subtitles. Right? Just making sure we're both on the same page here.

The subtitles aren't correct. This isn't an exaggeration. They really are Engrish. I've only seen subs this bad when I used to buy Chinese VCDs. They are disjointed and incomplete. You've only seen articles "peripherally" about how the dub is bad. Okay. Cool. So you haven't actually read about how the subs are incorrect and that you shouldn't be using them for this show then.

Because this is 100% what's happening: You're attempting to understand and enjoy a show by using subtitles that are counteractive to actually enjoying and understanding the show. They created an English dub for this show specifically because of how bad the subs were. Is the English dub 100%? No, but where the English dub is maybe 90% correct, the English subs are about 36% correct. Honestly, that's how bad they are.

Like I mentioned, I watched it with English dub and subs going, and the subs were ridiculous and incoherent most of the time. Squid Game is apparently the #1 TV show on the planet now, and while no, I'm not saying that there's something wrong with you for not liking it like most of the planet does, I am going to say that by not listening to the dub you have created a situation for yourself where you will never be able to like or enjoy the show, because you have no idea what's really happening in it.

I say all of this as your gganbu. You're going to think you understand gganbu when you hit the episode titled that, but trust me, if you're reading subs, you're not. It's only going to confuse you more, because you're going to think it means friend, and it absolutely doesn't mean that. And that episode is a major point in the series, so you're not really going to understand anything that's going on in the series from then on out. Because it's explained really well in the English dub, but it's marginalized, belittled, and given a definition nowhere near what it means in the subs.

I thought this was a great show. If I'd been relying on the subs, I think there's a good chance I wouldn't have ever made it past Ep4, because I would've just been confused and angered by what I was watching.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Its fun that the rest of the world is finally interested in the subs vs. dubs debate :whoa: , I am still only going to watch it subbed. Maybe its my experience watching so many Korean movies and dramas, or I've picked it up by osmosis living in basically k-town for over a decade, but with context and everything else its fairly easy to follow along with Korean shows. :shrug: There are going to be subtleties and things missed, but that is expected with any translation.

I've avoided going to deep to avoid spoilers, but I have literally seen the exact opposite of what you are saying. The dub changes meanings and context. The sub has problems supposedly, but nowhere near as bad. [EDIT] Ok I had gone on about how the only big thing I saw saying the subtitles were bad was coming from a Korean-American girl pointing out changed meanings, etc. Lo and behold, it winds up after her shit went viral it was pointed out that she was talking about the closed captions which relate to the dub, and not the subtitles. Which she now admits are actually much more accurate. So, I honestly don't know what to say. :lol:

Its been my experience that dubs rarely work well especially from Asian to English as they try to westernize the subject matter thinking the audience needs the hand holding. Which ends up doing more harm than good. They also try too hard to match mouths so by that very nature you are usually simplifying the dialogue too much.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Do as you choose, and accept the consequence of your actions. :shrug: We're talking about apples and oranges here though.

This has nothing to do with a Dubs vs. Subs debate. This has everything to do with there being fixed dubs because the subs in this aren't bad because of the translation, they are bad because they are missing, incomplete in parts, and often make zero sense. I watched it with both, and I'm not sure why you think listening to it in a language you don't understand and while reading subs that are 64% wrong is the right thing to do. But I mean, it's your viewing experience not mine. I'm glad I was able to give myself the deepest immersion possible while also seeing how different the 2 tracks really are. :up:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I am 100% convinced you are either having a stroke or trolling here. There is no way you think that dub is good or informative.

Also, that episode was so ridiculously long and predictable. So far one of the worst episodes, maybe not as bad as the second one. I am very interested to see people's analysis of this show after I am done with it. Its not a terrible show, its decent, but its just one of these weird things that a large majority of people seem to be blown away by and there is nothing earth shattering going on in it yet at least. 3 episodes left, lets see where it goes (though I think I have a pretty good idea already).

Curious what Dan is thinking about the show.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:20 pm I am 100% convinced you are either having a stroke or trolling here. There is no way you think that dub is good or informative.
If you're not listening to the english dub, how do you know it's not good or informative? You're listening to the internet hipsters, aren't you?

Are you talking about the gganbu episode being long and predictable? If so, are you sure that episode is really over and you're not just buying into the predictable storyline that has been set up for people watching the show superficially?

I think if you were to do as I suggested and watch the show beginning to end with the english dub and subs you would see what I was talking about. Since you're not, you can't. Also, look at it this way:

Squid Game has 3 ways to communicate with you: Visually, audibly and by reading the subtitles.

You've chosen to close off the audible path by listening to a foreign language track you don't understand. So now you're down to 2 out of 3 path ways, and one of those pathways isn't complete, and the parts that are there are sketchy and often incorrect. You've essentially hobbled the way you can take in and interact with this. If you were watching an episode of the Real World with the picture obscured and the language track in latin, do you think you'd enjoy it or understand fully what is happening? Because that's essentially what you're doing here.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:13 pm If you were watching an episode of the Real World with the picture obscured and the language track in latin, do you think you'd enjoy it or understand fully what is happening? Because that's essentially what you're doing here.
Yes, because Julie's crush on Eric was palpable and real damnit! :hitler:
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:50 pm
Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:13 pm If you were watching an episode of the Real World with the picture obscured and the language track in latin, do you think you'd enjoy it or understand fully what is happening? Because that's essentially what you're doing here.
Yes, because Julie's crush on Eric was palpable and real damnit! :hitler:
When you're done with it, I'm really interested in hearing what your interpretation of the ending is. I'll share mine then too and I bet they're different.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I am hoping to finish it tonight or tomorrow. Depends on how long these episodes are. Some are short and some drag ass IMO
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Some of the beginning episodes do drag ass a bit. But once you hit the final act episodes, they move along pretty well.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:20 pmCurious what Dan is thinking about the show.
I’m still no further than 20 minutes into the first episode. I need to get my butler to draw me a bath and put Netflix on so I can watch more.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Typical Englishman. :shake: