Life

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Life

Post by Alien Redrum »

Anyone digging this (I think Hitman is, IIRC from his blog).

I picked up the first season and I'm pretty hooked after two episodes. I understand it gets even better.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Life

Post by The Hitman »

Alien Redrum wrote:Anyone digging this (I think Hitman is, IIRC from his blog).

I picked up the first season and I'm pretty hooked after two episodes. I understand it gets even better.
My favorite show on TV these days, bar none.

First season (11 episodes, shortened by strike) gets better as it goes. Second season started somewhat weakly but is rolling along now... except this Wednesday or next is the last episode until February.

Has a full-season pickup, but like most of NBC's lineup, is sucking wind in the ratings.

What I love about the show is that it's a serious show, with comic undertones that stem from the quirky characters, and not a show about quirky characters that happens to have the police in it (like Monk, which I watched one episode of).

Basic premise: The lead was a cop wrongly convicted of the murder of a friend's family and sentenced to (wait for it) life. He got cleared after 12 years, many assaults, a born-again Zen thing, and won a huge settlement plus got his badge back. Now he's a homicide cop with a slightly askew way of working on things, partnered with a woman detective who's ex-vice. So he does a murder-of-the-week, and meanwhile he's trying to find out who set him up for the murders.

The writing is clever, if not always original and the acting is great (Damian Lewis from "Band of Brothers" and Sarah Shahi from "The L Word" star, with Adam Arkin, and this season Donal Logue replaced "Deadwood"'s Calamity Jane, whatever her name is).

I could go on and on. But I won't.

Wednesday nights, NBC.
Retired reviewer

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

I really dig the show too. Hitman's description does the show justice, but I'd like to add that Crews (the main character) was re-instated as a detective, not just a cop. His partner, Reese has a lot more back story too but they rarely go into her character (I'd like to go into her character too IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN). For example, she used to be a coke addict. That's one of the reasons that she got stuck with Crews as a partner.

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

Spez wrote:Crews (the main character) was re-instated as a detective, not just a cop.
Sorry for the semantics, Ripple.

I left out most of the details on Shahi and the others because I didn't want to give too much away, but I guess it's clear from Ep. 1 that she's got the rehab thing going.
Retired reviewer

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

The Hitman wrote:
Spez wrote:Crews (the main character) was re-instated as a detective, not just a cop.
I only mentioned it because it makes a big difference in the show. He doesn't just drive around in a cop car. He wears a suit and investigates shit.

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

Spez wrote:
The Hitman wrote:
I only mentioned it because it makes a big difference in the show. He doesn't just drive around in a cop car. He wears a suit and investigates shit.
"Homicide cop" = "detective" in my books.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Retired reviewer

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Every police agency I've worked with (16 state, local and county) a cop's a cop. Whether you're a detective, a patrolman, or something else entirely, you're a cop.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

What about someone like me, who has cop friends?

Does that mean I'm a cop, too?
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Post by TGM »

I like donuts and racial profiling... am I a cop too?

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

TallGuyMe wrote:I like donuts and racial profiling... am I a cop too?
Did you have to double-post, AR?
Retired reviewer

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

You know, I never thought of it that way before. Thanks nopq709!
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Re: Whats worth more

Post by Spez »

nopq709 wrote:Whenever ive completed a quest that offers rewards that i dont want or need ive always selected the plate armor or biggest weapon, whether it be an option between say plate gloves or mail leg armor, or 2H weapon over 1H sword or staff because i assumed it would sell for more to a vendor than the mail or leather or 1H option. Is this true or do they have a standard vendor price?
You suck at the Internet.

Peter West
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by Peter West »

Life is my favorite show of the week!

Not only are the actors great, the freaking writing is heads above anything on TV. I still love the old standard "Law & Order" and am really digging Anderson and Sisto as partners, the writing is nowhere near as good as "Life".

What's really bugging me this year about NBC shows is that they keep lesser shows on cable for years and have great ones like "Life" + "Chuck" always in danger of being cancelled. I think "Journeyman" may have survived if they had run it on USA.

Speaking of USA, I miss "The 4400"....

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

A lot of "Life" fans on the forums are saying they hope it would land on USA if NBC dumps it.

Which, sadly, is looking likely.
Retired reviewer

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

Is it just me or does Reese look pregnant in the past two episodes? If she is, they're not hiding it well.