Favorite ROKU channels?

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Favorite ROKU channels?

Post by Alien Redrum »

ROKU is probably one of my favorite electronics in my house. If it were economically feasible, I could easily cut the cord and go strictly off my ROKU, but the way they price me out, it's a nominal difference between high speed internet and high speed internet w/ basic cable and phone.

Anywho, aside from the standards of Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO GO, I dig, in no particular order:

TuneIn - If it's streaming radio, it's probably on TuneIn. In addition to radio stations, there are tons of podcasts. When I'm not falling asleep to the Always Sunny gang, I'm falling asleep to Coast to Coast.
Comet TV - Basically the streaming version of the TV channel.
YouTube - naturally.
Spotify - Probably the best streaming music app out there.
Vudu - a necessity if you have an account.
Shudder
Shout Factory TV - This one is interesting. Not only does it have some of its less popular Scream Factory titles on it, but it also drops movies with commentary tracks on the channel. Pretty cool.
Amateur Logic - These two guys talk about stuff like ham radios and other electronics that I will probably never own, but man, they are so likable. I bet Ron would like this show if he doesn't watch it already.
Nowhere Scope - If you are familiar with the periscope app, that's exactly what Nowhere Scope is, just a vehicle for periscope. Most of the time it's a bunch of nonsense, but sometimes you'll strike gold and be watching some public access tv-like shows.
Pluto TV - This is the reason I started this thread. I want to make sure I'm not missing something like Pluto. This is a crazy channel. It has like 100 channels on its own, and when you launch it, it's just like watching your cable box. There are music channels, sports channels, news, movie, comedy channels and more. Three channels I really like are MST3K, RiffTrax and Shout Factory. But you can kind of get lost in it. They all have commercials, naturally, but 24/7 MST3K is pretty cool.

I'm probably going to try Brown Sugar for free at some point to check out the quality of their catalog.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some because I have a ton of channels installed, but those are my go tos.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Favorite ROKU channels?

Post by Neon Maniac »

I am a cord cutter. If you look at other options aside from cable for highspeed internet, you might find better prices. Here, Comcast prices things so it makes internet only a bad value, which is what it sounds like your cable co does there. I get internet from Centurylink. I pay 1/4 the price for twice the speed offered from Comcast.

Aside from Netflix/Hulu...

Comet TV: I'll use this when I'm getting bad reception over the air, or if there's something on now that I want to watch but isn't on locally. The Roku is the east coast feed, so sometimes I'll watch something 3 hours in advance on there. And sometimes I'll watch it again when it airs locally :lol:

Crackle: Not the best, but not the worst. Good 2nd and 3rd run movies for free. They hit you over the head with their shitty originals, which drives a lot of people away.

Popcorn Flix: Again, not the best but not the worst. They'll have good movies on here occasionally.

The Roku Channel: For movies, yes. They'll have stuff that sometimes only the major or very minor channels will carry. A good mix.

Pandora: This is my music go to.

Tubi TV: Interesting movie selection sometimes.

Midnight Pulp: Good for movies sometimes, but their commercials can go on for days.

Vevo: Because who doesn't like to rock out with their cock out?

Flashback 80's: 80's music vids. the MTV OG's. See my statement above.

Movies Anywhere: A great channel that consolidates all of your digital movie purchases across several platforms. Vudu, Youtube, Amazon, etc. Just networking them all with this channel will allow you to watch your digitals on any channel, regardless of where you bought them. They also give you free movie when you network accounts.

I've got other crap installed that I rarely watch, so that's about it.

Amateur Logic sounds like it would annoy me, tbh. I like the stuff they're talking about, but I don't know if I like watching old men talk about it. :lol:
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Dude, Amateur Logic is the Car Talk of Ham Radios. :lol:
Here, Comcast prices things so it makes internet only a bad value, which is what it sounds like your cable co does there. I get internet from Centurylink. I pay 1/4 the price for twice the speed offered from Comcast.
See, that's what it's like here. I have Verizon, Comcast, and some shitty local company. The difference between internet only and cable/internet is like $20, so it's not really worth it for me to cancel it since I will get my $20 out of it in football season at least (I live in this fucked up area where I'm smack dab in the middle of two cities, and just far away from both where my OTA antenna fades in and out). Plus I like some of the basic channels enough that the $20 won't annoy me.

I won't even consider Comcast or the other company. Both are dog shit in my area. :(

I forgot about Flashback 80s. I like that one too. :lol:

And agreed about Midnight Pulp. That's the only reason I didn't mention it. Those commercials do get annoying. I love their FB page though.

I downloaded this Wu Tang one last night. I might like it more as it goes on. I was watching some movie last night that I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on and I was only 10 minutes in. It was like Condor Force 13 or some shit. https://channelstore.roku.com/details/1 ... collection

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Is Wu Tang free? I'm going to add that.

It pisses me off that some networks like CBS set up a pay channel instead of doing Hulu. I tried the CBS channel for the free trial, and they had it so loaded with commercials it was ridiculous. And they were showing edited down versions of the shows, I believe. I think Big Bang Theory is usually a 22 minute show, most of them on there were 19-20, and with commercials added in, it took 35 minutes to watch an episode. Not so much that it was half commercials but the commercials took forever to load and they'd do like 6 of them at one break some times, so it would have so much pause time it was ridiculous.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Yeah! Wu Tang is free. There are commercials, but it wasn't annoying.

Man, fuck the network channels. They are horrible. Even the ones like Discovery piss me off. I authenticate with my cable company, and they don't even have full seasons of shit. WTF.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I really like these guys, Ron. :lol:

They are so nice!

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I don't get it. Is the bearded guy Max Headroom? Is he real?

You should get a shortwave receiver since you watch these guys so much. You are in an amazing location to get all kinds of crazy stuff.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Holy shit, I didn't even think about that. I'm very close (relatively) to the NSA. I CAN HEAR ALIEN NEWS. :eek:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

You can hear all kinds of stuff. Florida has a huge commercial shortwave broadcasting company that transmits every goofball in the world. There's all the European stuff too.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Dammit all to hell. I may end up getting a Shudder membership. Joe Bob Briggs just announced he's going to do a 24 hour marathon there in June. I'll pay for that. Then I'll cancel.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Just do a 30 day trial. Easy Peasy.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, that's what I'll do.

Did you buy your shortwave receiver yet?

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

No. I'm spending my time on fighting with insurance companies currently.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Are you trying to get your insurance company to pay for your shortwave radio? It's not worth the time. You can buy one that's excellent for less than $100 maybe. You can run a cheap copper line on your roof or in your back yard around your fence as an antenna and nobody will notice it. Then you can watch those two guys talk about ham radio while you surf the ham bands on your very own radio.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

A
Boss

:AR: :AR: :AR: