Was it this bad on Ghost Hunters?

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Was it this bad on Ghost Hunters?

Post by Alien Redrum »

I remember the GREAT discussions we had back in the day watching Ghost Hunters. One thing I never remember the cast being on Ghost Hunters was melodramatic (except for of course Brian "Let's Rock and Roll" Harnois, of course).

But after watching some episodes of Deals from the Darkside, and just getting fucking annoyed on what would be a great show if everyone was so over the fucking top for the camera, I got to thinking, was Ghost Hunters like this, but I don't remember?

I mean, I always felt Ghost Hunters was chill. Yes, everyone is always going to play for the camera, but now it seems that EVERY "reality" show is annoyingly over-the-top about it.

PLUS, another annoying thing the show does is the bullshit value they put on things. Sorry, basically Deals from the Darkside is like a cross between Pawn Stars and that show where those two dudes go looking for antiques for resale. The dude on DftD finds shit and buys it, but I'm still not sure where he sells it. But without fail it always has a "Paid for" and "Estimated Value" on the item. So anyway, he bought this sword for $130 because he thought it was a Civil War sword. He goes to an expert* and the expert says, "Yeah, this is a Civil War sword."

"YEAH! I paid $130 for it, how much is it worth?"
"Not $130. These are pretty common. But if you can put it at Gettysburg, it can go from $300-$500."

Then, under the fucking title card reads:
Paid: $130
Estimated Value: $300-$500

NO MOTHERFUCKERS, THAT'S NOT WHAT THE EXPERT SAID. HE SAID IT WASN'T EVEN WORTH $130, YOU ASSHOLES.

*I almost forgot. In the first episode, he was trying to get a value for a Titanic deck chair. His first expert said it most likely wasn't from the Titanic. So dude took it to a fucking psychic for a second opinion. GTFO

Another time his buddy claimed there was blood on a knife. And he didn't need science to tell him it was blood, he knew it in his heart. G.T.F.O.

I'm hate watching this show now. It's on Prime. :mad: :lol:

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Was it this bad on Ghost Hunters?

Post by Neon Maniac »

Why do you watch garbage like this, and then never watch actual real shows that are good? Like you'll take 9 years to watch an 8 episode series of a good drama, but then you'll watch these shows all the time nonstop? I'm suggesting you re-evaluate your TV watching goals here. :lol:

Ghost Hunters wasn't melodramatic, no. They were fairly normal people trying to do things. Near the end they pushed them to be melodramatic and make a big deal over nothing, and that's when the show started to suck and ended.

This show just sounds terrible. It's Pickers for goth kids.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:38 pm Why do you watch garbage like this, and then never watch actual real shows that are good? Like you'll take 9 years to watch an 8 episode series of a good drama, but then you'll watch these shows all the time nonstop? I'm suggesting you re-evaluate your TV watching goals here. :lol:
It's more or less background noise when I'm working at night, and I look up and get caught up for a few annoying seconds. I like to focus and concentrate on good shows, so generally finding time to watch them takes longer due to other things I'm working on. Plus I think part of it too is how much it irrationally annoys others that I take my time with TV series. :lol:
Ghost Hunters wasn't melodramatic, no. They were fairly normal people trying to do things. Near the end they pushed them to be melodramatic and make a big deal over nothing, and that's when the show started to suck and ended.
I think we stopped talking about it before then. I know I didn't watch the last few seasons. I was about done when they started the dumb UK version.
This show just sounds terrible. It's Pickers for goth kids.
:lol:

Pretty accurate.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, Ghost Hunters International was the death knell for the show. They basically took all the side people to Europe and then had them start being melodramatic. That's why Grant and Jason wouldn't have anything to do with it. And that direction is why Grant left the show but didn't leave TAPS, I think.

I have things on for noise too, but I really don't have anything that annoys me like that. I try to keep myself drama free, which includes my TV :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Guess who's on C2C tonight?

Tonight's second guest is....

STEVE GONSALVES

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:eek:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Bet your sweet ass he is. Tonight's a night I work a grave shift, so I'll be able to listen to it TWICE. Once live and once on repeat. I'm going to call in and ask him how he can be a cop, since any decent lawyer will easily discredit him in court by showing he believes and has been frightened by ghosts.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I BET YOU WON'T.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I BET I'LL TRY BUT THEY'LL HAVE ON THE 5 PEOPLE WHO CALL EVERY FUCKING NIGHT ON INSTEAD. :mad:

I need to come up with a good cover question for them to let me on with, but that I can pull the ol' switcharoo on and ask my real question.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:38 pm Why do you watch garbage like this, and then never watch actual real shows that are good? Like you'll take 9 years to watch an 8 episode series of a good drama, but then you'll watch these shows all the time nonstop? I'm suggesting you re-evaluate your TV watching goals here. :lol:

Lord knows I watch a ton of garbage, but I also make sure to watch good shows so that Neon and I can discuss them while we wait for you to catch up AR. :shake:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Steve Gonsalves is about to be on. Any minute now. They're on break and I'm listening to the news. This is going to be a big night. I'm giddy.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Ok he's introducing him right now.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Steven Gonsalves is very well spoken and polite. He's a former police officer so I can no longer ask my question. It's no longer relevant.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

This is a very interesting and informative interview and I wish anyone else but George Noory was doing it. He's talking about skeptics and how they claim to be impartial but really they have an agenda. I agree with that. Whenever I hear or see someone labelling themselves as a skeptic, I'm pretty much done talking to them about something because they now think they're cooler than me.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Commercial break now. Noory asked him about being a cop and stole my thunder :mad:

It's actually kind of funny listening to this. So many of the C2C ghost people are so fucking sensationalist and OMG about things, and Gonsalves is totally not at all. He's just mellow and explains his experiences but doesn't try to define them so much.

I think the main reason is he debunks himself, while the OMG I'M A MEDIUM people don't. They just see a shadow move and scream G-g-g-g-g-h-o-s-t!! It's actually refreshing.