Spalding Gray

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Spalding Gray

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm watching True Stories, which I never realized had been written by Steven Tobolowsky. But anway, Spalding Gray is in it of course, and I was thinking about his suicide. I kind of think his suicide was really kind of a spoiler alert that ruined all of his monologues.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Re: Spalding Gray

Post by Alien Redrum »

I am not at all familiar with this person. :(
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:05 pm I am not at all familiar with this person. :(
Shocking.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

That wasn't at all necessary. :(
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Honestly, I didn't think you would be, AR. He wasn't in any Michael Bay movies that I'm aware of.

He was a monologuist/actor/writer from the 80's-90's whose monologues often delved into depression and his suicidal or depressive thoughts. Hence the spoiler alert, because he did eventually off himself. So if you're watching Monster in the Box, let's say, and he's talking about suicide, it's like Spoiler Alert: He kills himself in 2004.

Don't feel bad, it was apparently only a name Shiki recognized, but was unable to place culturally or contextually as he didn't make any comments other than to chastise you for not knowing it at all :roll:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm going to go over to culturedpeopleDNA and finish this over there with those people. You can return to your marijuana and explosions.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:08 pm Honestly, I didn't think you would be, AR. He wasn't in any Michael Bay movies that I'm aware of.

He was a monologuist/actor/writer from the 80's-90's whose monologues often delved into depression and his suicidal or depressive thoughts. Hence the spoiler alert, because he did eventually off himself. So if you're watching Monster in the Box, let's say, and he's talking about suicide, it's like Spoiler Alert: He kills himself in 2004.

Don't feel bad, it was apparently only a name Shiki recognized, but was unable to place culturally or contextually as he didn't make any comments other than to chastise you for not knowing it at all :roll:
:lol: Actually no, I was always a big Spalding Gray fan since I had first seen his specials on cable (HBO I think) in the late 80s/early 90s. And I also love True Stories (which I am sure AR also doesnt know). So suck it. :toot: I was on my phone so he got the one word answer. Now I am on my computer. :banansex2:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:33 am
:lol: Actually no, I was always a big Spalding Gray fan since I had first seen his specials on cable (HBO I think) in the late 80s/early 90s. And I also love True Stories (which I am sure AR also doesnt know). So suck it. :toot: I was on my phone so he got the one word answer. Now I am on my computer. :banansex2:
I liked him in things I saw him in, but then in the 90's I had an alcoholic roommate who was a huge film snob and he watched all the monologues multiple times so I knew him much better than I otherwise would have :lol:

I've watched True Stories a few times in the last few weeks. In 2020, this film is still entertaining, but its also really naive now. :lol: I don't know what else to call it. I would've loved to have seen a follow up from 1996 when the internet comes to Virgil.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Sorry for teasing you, AR :(

It was just a joke :(: