MST3K Live

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

MST3K Live

Post by Neon Maniac »

I saw MST3K live last night and it was a lot of fun. If you get a chance, I'd suggest it. The movie was No Retreat, No Surrender which was a bad early 80's rip off of both Karate Kid and Rocky. Basically no Miyagi, and the Karate Kid learns from the ghost of Bruce Lee then goes to fight Jean Claude Van Damme who is a russian guy brought into a tournament by the italian mafia. This was Van Damme's last movie before making it big with Blood Sport. He's essentially an unknown and gets his ass handed to him by someone who very obviously doesn't know any martial arts. :lol:

The jokes were fresh, Joel was great. He sang and performed the opening credits and song live.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MST3K Live

Post by DJBenz »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 am The movie was No Retreat, No Surrender which was a bad early 80's rip off of both Karate Kid and Rocky.
Hilarious film. I remember when he begs Bruce Lee's ghost to train him with "Sensei Lee, you have to help me!" completely ignoring the fact a Sensei is a Japanese martial arts teacher and he should have been addressing him as Sifu Lee. The Ghost of Bruce Lee should've turned up, kicked him in the face and told him to go back to etiquette school before he starts worrying about being a chop-socky master. :lol:
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

Son of a bitch. This movie was on sale about a month ago for $7. I had it in my cart but took it out for some reason or another. I won't make that mistake again. :lol:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

The movie was great as an MST3K, I can't imagine watching it just standalone. It was 100% awful. No spoiler here, but after Karate Kid's dad gets his ass kicked by the bad guys in his LA Dojo (Dad's a karate master, but obviously can't teach his son jack, so he has to turn to ghosts), he packs up the fam and moves to Seattle to get away from italians and Van Dammes. You only know that because they show file footage of the Space Needle. The movie 100% takes place in some LA neighborhood with palm trees. It looks like the same neighborhood they use for every LA gang banger film to represent Compton. I swear this was the neighborhood from Boys in the Hood and Friday. So really, if Ice Cube was in it and wearing a bandana non-ironically, it was probably shot in this neighborhood.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Perfect for Friday Fun.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

:lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Oh shit... there's break dancing in this movie. He gets a new black best friend in Seattle who break dances. Oh this movie has you written all over it, you're right. They cut out so much to make it fit in the show, I wonder if the movie is more coherent in full than what I saw. If so, it's not going to improve it. :lol:

BTW, this is his William Zabka:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0513448/?ref_=tt_cl_t6

He's older in the pic there, but it looks like he's lost about 40lbs since the movie.