The Facts of Life About 80's Racism

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: The Facts of Life About 80's Racism

Post by Neon Maniac »

The later seasons of Dif'rent Strokes are absolutely terrible.

Dixie Carter came on to play the new Mrs. Drummond and Sam's mom. Sam drove her so fucking nuts she quit after like 3 episodes and they got some annoying woman who is absolutely terrible.

Willis goes of to college but still drops by some times. He dresses like one of the guys in that Spike Lee movie about college.

Kimberly got bulimia. She was like 45 and suddenly has bulimia for 22 minutes. That's believable.

The only reason Sam was hired was because Gary Coleman said he no longer wanted to be the shortest cast member. He's like 45 and playing a 12 year. It's sad.

They canceled everything when Sam reached Arnold's height.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Today's episode was total crap.

So some cool kid was bullying Sam so Arnold was like what the fuck man? And the cool kid was like Arnold I'm going to kick your fucking ass and Arnold was like goodbye!

Then Willis came home from Spike Lee College and Sam and Arnold told them all about it. Willis went down to the malt shop to meet the cool kid because he sounded pretty cool. But the cool kid totally disses Willis for being an Oreo and Willis beat the shit out of him.

Back in their penthouse Sam thanks Willis because now the cool kid will leave him alone. Sam then laughs and tells Willis about how the cool kid is a foster kid orphan loser. Willis totally snaps and beats the crap out of Sam. Sam's like what my rich brother? And Willis tells him that if mr. Drummond hadn't adopted them, he and Arnold would be just like the cool kid. Sam loses it and starts crying. mr. Drummond comes in and was like what the fuck. the maid comes in and says I made a cake it's time to eat.

The only good part about this episode is that Willis made Sam realize he was a ungrateful little shit. And Arnold must have been really scared of the cool kid because he was like at the beginning and that was it. Maybe you was having kidney things again I don't know

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Sam is a fucking asshole. He's no better than Oliver. I'M GLAD THAT GUY KIDNAPPED HIM. :mad:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

He's worse than Oliver. At least Oliver does a podcast now. You know what Sam does? Goes to Dif'rent Strokes/Facts of Life conventions and claims to be the last living Drummond and demands everyone pays him $40. Fuck him. He sold out John Connor to the evil terminator, he sold out Arnold to the cool kid, who knows who else he's done.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Dif'rent Strokes was back in the first season and Willis was having a birthday party with his old friends in Harlem. Their apartment in Harlem was the set for the apartment in Good Times. I guess the studio only has 1 apartment for poor black people, but a never ending supply of apartment sets for white people.

It got scary for a minute, because a black guy came through the apartment window and all the white people thought they were going to be robbed and killed. But it turns out that's just what black people do and they all laughed at the white people. Then the white people told them that crime is dangerous. Then a guy who lives in the apartment came home and he was a cop. And basically said this is a dangerous neighborhood. Only he didn't say, "I make a good income with the NYPD and while I can afford to have my family living in a pleasant suburb across the river in Jersey, I've decided to keep them in this dangerous neighborhood because we're black and this is where black people live" but that was basically what was happening if you disassembled the story.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Today on Facts of Life, there were actually a couple of interesting episodes.

In the first one, Blair gets into a car crash and ends up with a huge frankenstein gash on her forehead. The doctors tell her it will always be there and there's nothing she can ever do about it. She tells her boyfriend to fuck off because she's ugly forever now. But he tells it's not the gash on her forehead he's interested in, and it's all good.

The episode after that one.... Blair has no scar on her forehead and it appears to be completely healed and normal looking. So fine, of course that happens in sitcoms. But it's this second episode that's interesting.

Jo's been proposed to and is contemplating marriage. Blair thinks her boyfriend is going to propose, but he just wants to shack up with her.

Blair's boyfriend is lame comedian Paul Provenza, btw. You may remember him from being on EVERY DAMN SHOW when Comedy Central was still called Ha!. I think he works at Walmart now. Anyway...

From this second episode, in which they're all out of high school now, but still living in the house with the store that they own, it becomes painfully clear that all of these young women in their early 20's are... still virgins. They're all holding out for marriage. I never realized this about the show. No wonder they don't mind living in the same bedroom together, all of them are sexless. There was an episode that looked into the future and it showed them all still living together in that bedroom, and now it all makes sense.

It makes me wonder if that's what really made the 4 of them bond. Because all 4 are from very diverse backgrounds and had tons of different friends at Langley, but as time went on those friends disappeared from the show until it was just those 4. I'm thinking they stuck together because they all were virgins and got rid of friends as they lost their flower.

So Jo's getting married and they're doing a stag party for the guys downstairs and the girls are having their bachelorette party... up in their bedroom. The guys, who are all their boyfriends, are all sitting on the couch smoking cigars and that's their kickass stag party. I guess that makes sense as they're all guys who are in their 20's who don't mind dating virgins because they don't want sex either, apparently. This adds a really odd and unsaid dynamic to the show.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Fuck, you should have a blog on this. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

That's the last thing I need.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

They've looped around and restarted the series so it's back to S1. The name and theme song make a lot more sense in this setting. It becomes very ironical when you think the stars of a show called Facts of Life end up being lonely 20something virgins.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Dif'rent Strokes, on now, is cracking me up.

There's a housekeeper that didn't last long named Adelaide. She was old and I think she died on the show. Any way, Willis, Arnold and Kimberly apparently don't have millions of dollars themselves like rich kids do now. They need bigger allowances and Mr. Drummond basically told them to fuck off. He earned his money and the little beggars need to earn their own, he said.

None of this is me reading anything into it. They call them this. Get over yourself...

Adelaide the housekeeper makes "special" brownies that everyone at their schools want. So the 3 kids make a business where they sell the "special" brownies to kids at school. This whole episode is basically drug dealing along with supply and demand. I know whoever wrote this was probably dying the entire time.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol: HOLY FUCK.

:lol:

I wonder if this is the episode that started Kimberly and Willis down their dangerous paths. :(

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I never thought of it that way. I hope Adelaide's special brownies weren't the trigger :(

I thought the whole thing was hilarious. Because there's no reason for them to be called "special", they could've just been Adelaides Brownies. And back in the 70s and 80s there were already sitcoms calling out special brownies and special cookies, usually with someone accidentally eating them. So there was absolutely no innocence on the part of the writers. They totally had to know what they were calling out. :lol: