Defunctland

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Defunctland

Post by Neon Maniac »

I just started watching a series on YouTube called Defunctland. It's a documentary of Disney attractions. I hate Disney. This is hilarious. I don't think it matters what order you watch them in, this is S1E2 I think, about their teen dance club from back in the 80s.

If you like documentary-style you'll like this.

:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Re: Defunctland

Post by Alien Redrum »

Holy shit! I was watching these on Thursday. I started with Action Park, the infamous New Jersey theme park.

Shiki, did you ever go to (Class)Action Park?
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Yes I was there a number of times as a child. We called it Traction Park as kids in the 80s. My cousin broke his arm there on the concrete hills that you rode down.

It was a fun place :lol:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol: :lol: Nice!!

I was watching one piece on it, and there was a reporter there in a bikini, and the dude at the station was being a fucking creep about it. SO AWKWARD.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

The things I remember are how absolutely freezing the water was and how everything felt dangerous in some way or another. I remember doing the slide that would be in near complete darkness and shoot you out the side of a cliff and you would fall into this freezing cold water.
Last edited by shiki-jitsu on Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

:lol:

I'll look for that episode. I watched the Jaws one last night about Universal Orlando. That was pretty funny. For unknown reasons they put real shark teeth in the mechanical sharks, and at the point where the shark is attacking the boat one of the passengers fell in the water. They were saying the water on the ride was 4 feet deep, except where the mechanical sharks was, it was like 10 foot pit. So the guy who falls out, falls out over the shark pit, has trouble swimming, and the mechanical shark is headed straight for him with its open mouth of real shark teeth. Apparently everyone on the boat but the actor thought it was part of the ride and were laughing at him as he was screaming for help from the shark. He got $1 million in court :lol:

AR that teen dance club video is right up your alley.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
shiki-jitsu wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:52 pm The things I remember are how absolutely freezing the water was and how everything felt dangerous in some way or another. I removed doing the slide that would be in near complete darkness and shoot you out the side of a cliff and you would fall into this freezing cold water.

This is one of those parks where you would do EVERYTHING right up to a certain age when you start thinking, "Okay, this might kill me."

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:42 pm :lol: :lol: Nice!!

I was watching one piece on it, and there was a reporter there in a bikini, and the dude at the station was being a fucking creep about it. SO AWKWARD.
I see they also have an episode on the Big Bad Wolf at Busch Gardens. I am sure you were there at some point AR, right? Being close to VA. I went there once as a kid. I remember I bought a big bad wolf shirt there :lol:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/817265902/ ... gLvQ_D_BwE
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm watching action park right now and the OMG. The Cannonball Loop water slide... WTF

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

:lol: I just watched the Action Park episode. That brought back some memories :lol: I am glad they mentioned the freezing water, the shock your body would feel hitting that water was insane. Even though you knew it was coming. They didn't really get into it but they showed some footage of the slides I mentioned earlier. They would shoot out from the side of a cliff and you would plunge into the water. I think they were by the cliff jumps IIRC. The alpine slide is what my cousin got hurt on. It was fun but it was soooo sketchy. I remember there were always people running into each other. I had forgotten about the tanks, and honestly that whole motor part of the park, I don't think I was in the section a lot. I only really remember the water park and alpine slide.

I really would have guessed the place had closed down in the early 90s. I think I really only went there once in high school. Most kids would take the longer ride down to Great Adventure if going to an amusement park (which was a completely different kind of danger at times lol)
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Did you ever do the loop? The description of people coming out of there all bloody makes me wonder how it could even keep operating :lol:

I did an alpine slide in the Poconos at Camelback Mountain, I think. I kept flying off it at 30mph. They're weird little louge's on cement and no real steering. Ill never ride one again.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

No, I know I definitely did not do the loop. :lol:
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

My first instinct was to call you a pussy, but then reality hit and I was all, "Nah, my pussy ass wouldn't have done it either."

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone doing it :lol:

It looks like a ride you would build and always have closed, and people would look at it and wonder.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I honestly don't even remember that being there to be honest. I must have blocked it out :lol:
Letterboxd