Smiles, everyone, smiles!

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Smiles, everyone, smiles!

Post by DJBenz »

Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:19 pm Look for the TV movies that started the series. I think they made two of them. Not unlike Kolchak, the series was a much lighter fare than the movies were. The movies were a lot more mysterious and I think one intimated that Rourke was the devil himself, if not an agent of the devil. He essentially taught his guests lessons using their fantasies against them.
That makes total sense given that the recent movie remake was horror. I guess everyone saying "ZOMG why is Fantasy Island being made into a horror movie?!1" wasn't aware of its sinister overtones.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

DJBenz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:14 am
Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:19 pm Look for the TV movies that started the series. I think they made two of them. Not unlike Kolchak, the series was a much lighter fare than the movies were. The movies were a lot more mysterious and I think one intimated that Rourke was the devil himself, if not an agent of the devil. He essentially taught his guests lessons using their fantasies against them.
That makes total sense given that the recent movie remake was horror. I guess everyone saying "ZOMG why is Fantasy Island being made into a horror movie?!1" wasn't aware of its sinister overtones.
I didn't know it had been made into a movie recently :lol:

When I was looking a little online yesterday, I found an interview from Ricardo Montalban where he says the show never explained anything, and his interpretation was Mr. Rourke was a fallen angel working his way back to grace, and the island was purgatory where souls were being tested before they moved on to heaven or hell.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

So Fantasy Island is Lost?
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

I was talking about this with my sister yesterday. Purgatory is a good idea, too.

That said, I also found out Tattoo was kicked off the show for multiple reasons, one of which he was so fucking rapey on set.

NOT EVEN MILDLY SURPRISED. :lol:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Your cancel culture against Herve appalls me. He's a Frenchman, not "rapey" whatever that's supposed to mean. I guess Pepe LePew is also "rapey" and not a Frenchman. They can't help it that they're horny, they just are.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I lost my internet in the current heatwave, so I've been watching DVDs. Last night I watched the 2 Kolchak movies, and then started the series.

The first few episodes really keep the flavor of the movies. I think it would've been more popular if they'd kept that up and didn't run it as a formulaic show.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I don't know why I put that here, I'm on a phone so sue me.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

So, interestingly enough, episode 9 of Fantasy Island is in 4:3. Curious if the rest are like that.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

And episode 10 is back to widescreen. Odd.