Scream five film set (1-3, plus 2 documentaries) Blu $19.99

Post the deals here! Check inside on how you can sign up to our deals mailing list. Horror DNA does see a small profit when buying through our Amazon and other links.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Scream five film set (1-3, plus 2 documentaries) Blu $19.99

Post by Alien Redrum »

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

walls
Wallsbot
Wallsbot

Re: Scream five film set (1-3, plus 2 documentaries) Blu $19

Post by walls »

I already have the first three on BLU, only paid $7.99 each so I did "ok" I guess.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Amazon now shows:

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Any idea what's up with that?
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Saw this in the comments. Probably the reason:
Since Lions Gate has been mum on the details/specs of this set, never even issuing a press release containing any info., I thought I'd take this opportunity to answer many of the unanswered questions for those who have yet to order:

1. The 3 movies are the exact same blu-rays that were released separately. Right down to the now dated ads and trailers that you cannot skip past. Same extra features (not many), same picture, same everything -- outside of the discs themselves which are all that generic grey "rental" version looking disc with no individual artwork. There is, as expected, NO director's cut of the original film included.

2. The 2 documentaries are on 1 disc, despite this being labeled as a 5 disc set when I (and many others) ordered it.

3. The 2 documentaries are in partial HD. "Scream: The Inside Story" goes between 1080i, 720p and 480p. The only parts in 480p are clips of the actual Scream movies. The rest, for unknown reasons (I suspect a glitch on the discs or a way to cram both docs onto one disc) jumps between 720p and, rarely, 1080p. If your blu-ray player upconverts, the only real noticeable changes are the film clips in "Scream: The Inside Story" being of significantly lesser quality. "Still Screaming" fares a little better with the film clips also being in HD.

4. Despite Lions Gate's website claiming the documentaries contain 4 hours of extras, including commentaries, etc. -- there are NO extras. The docs play in DTS Master Audio Stereo. The menu is static with the only options being to choose which documentary you want to play. Even if you are in the middle of watching one of the docs, it will start at the beginning if you even accidentally hit the stop button. There isn't a bookmark option and, most surprisingly, there ISN'T CLOSED CAPTIONING ON EITHER DOCUMENTARY. I think that is very important to note for those hard of hearing. It's an inexcusable omission.

5. The movies are just as you left them. Scream is an excellent little horror film. Scream 2 is a decent, somewhat drawn out sequel. Scream 3 is still an embarrassment (seriously, what are Jay and Silent Bob doing in this thing?). The movies DO have closed captioning available. Just not the docs.

6. The whole thing comes in one normally sized Blu-Ray case with a cardboard overlay. The 4th disc was warped over the 3rd disc in mine, which hasn't seemed to cause any problems, but was distressing when I first opened the package. The cardboard overlay and case itself have the same art as you see displayed at the top of this page.

7. I have just noticed Lions Gate removed the "5 film set" from their webpage entirely and replaced it with "Scream 1-3 Gift Set." The 5 film set was there as recently as Saturday. Maybe they didn't want to be seen falsely advertising the multiple hours of extras the documentaries included (which, as I mentioned above, aren't there).

Overall, I'm disappointed with this package. And I can see why Lions Gate did everything to HIDE the details from the general audience. If you like the Scream movies and don't yet own them, this is the best way to buy them as it's cheaper than it is to buy them individually (if you want all 3) and you get the two docs (as poorly presented as they are). If you already own the movies? I'd pass on this. Clearly there ARE extras out there for the docs and I suspect they'll sell the documentaries separately -- probably for under 10 bucks -- with closed captioning and all the extras included. The docs themselves, as bare-boned as they are, just aren't worth 20 bucks, if you already own the films.

I hope this review helped anyone on the fence make an educated decision as to whether or not the 4 disc collection is worth it for them. Thanks for reading!

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Interesting. I don't know why that would cause Amazon to pull it instead of just re-writing the description. I'd still buy it, I don't care about fancy packaging and documentaries I'll maybe watch once, if ever.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Are they contractually obligated to use the description provided by the company? I don't know how that works.

walls
Wallsbot
Wallsbot

Post by walls »

I ordered a couple things from amazon about three weeks ago and I finally recieved one item on monday and an email from amazon that my other item has not shipped because they are temporarily out of stock. UMMMM...OK......then temporarily refund my "mother fucking movie check". :lol:

Makes me hesitate from using amazxon now. :shrug:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote:Are they contractually obligated to use the description provided by the company? I don't know how that works.
I don't think so, I think they do it out of laziness. They probably get an excel file that they import into the system, and trust what's on it. You used to work retail, were you obligated to use their descriptions? However that works, it's probably the same for Amazon.
walls wrote:

I think they're owned by the communists now.

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

Neon Maniac wrote:
walls wrote:

I think they're owned by the communists now.
Thanks a lot, Obama!