Horror Movie Discussion #28 - Return of the Living Dead

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.

Any good?

Highly recommended
33%
Recommended
67%
Rent it
No votes
Skip it
No votes
Not seen it
No votes

Total votes: 3

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Horror Movie Discussion #28 - Return of the Living Dead

Post by Alien Redrum »

IMDB Synopsis:
When a bumbling pair of employees at a medical supply warehouse accidentally release a deadly gas into the air, the vapors cause the dead to re-animate as they go on a rampage through Louisville, Kentucky seeking their favorite food, brains.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Re: Horror Movie Discussion #28 - Return of the Living Dead

Post by TGM »

searching for brains in Kentucky seems like a fruitless endeavor.

19itmicmac
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by 19itmicmac »

I actually like the second one better but I recommended this one. Classic zombie film with plenty of campiness and some good laughs.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I really liked this series when it came out, but I find them hard to watch now. The camp and all that can get a bit annoying. Still, it's a good flick for once every 10 years or so. I also think it gets overlooked a lot. People always want to give tons of credit to Night of the Living Dead, but really, so much comes from this movie and this series. Sure, there had been some Italian flicks before it, but they were thinly disguised cannibal films for the most part. Zombies eat brains? Not until this movie, I think.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

This is a lot of fun, but I like it because it's my go to film when people bitch about how running zombies are a new fad.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, good point.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Watched it again recently for the UK blu release and it doesn't hold up as well as I remember. Still fun though, and surprisingly lacking in gore for the most part considering what the zombies want to eat.

I'm pretty sure (like Neon) that zombies didn't eat brains until this film, and they haven't much since, but for how ingrained the notion is in pop culture shows the influence of the movie.

Not the first running zombies though, Lenzi's Nightmare City five years previously had them (and may also not have been the first.)

Recommended.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, running zombies definitely predate this. I know we've had this discussion with proof before the crash, but it predated even Nightmare City. I think there were a handful in Night of the Living Dead? I forget.

The impact of this movie on zombie culture is undeniable though. And it's a Dan O'Bannon movie, a guy who had way too big of an impact on western culture in general. I'd say in his own way, more than any other filmmaker, just because many of his ideas entered our collective unconscious, had babies and spread farther and wider. If we were to take films like Alien and Return out of history, along with everything spawned and inspired by them, I think we'd have a much different landscape.

RotLD 2 on the other hand, is kind of an odd movie. It's got the two actors from the first one playing similar but unrelated roles, as if they were some awesome comedy team, but it's also kind of the one and only kid's zombie movie. The entire series is teen-centric, but while the other one seems to be aimed more at the older teen highschool drive in date movie/horror geek crowd, 2 really seems more aimed at 12 year olds.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Oh, there were running zombies before RotLD for sure, and it can easily be argued there's at least one in NotLD.

It's just my preferred film for debate because it's so popular and regarded as a good zombie film.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Alien Redrum wrote:Oh, there were running zombies before RotLD for sure, and it can easily be argued there's at least one in NotLD.

It's just my preferred film for debate because it's so popular and regarded as a good zombie film.
For sure. I used it the other week when a co-worker was telling us that the Dawn of the Dead remake was the first film with running zombies. :doh:
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

DJBenz wrote:
For sure. I used it the other week when a co-worker was telling us that the Dawn of the Dead remake was the first film with running zombies. :doh:
:roll:

What a dumb ass. Everyone knows it was 28 Days Later.

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Post by TGM »

Neon Maniac wrote:
DJBenz wrote:
:roll:

What a dumb ass. Everyone knows it was 28 Days Later.

THOSE WEREN'T ZOMBIES! :johnwoo: