Horror Movie Discussion #64 - The Innkeepers

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.

Any good?

Highly recommended
20%
Recommended
20%
Rent it
40%
Skip it
No votes
Not seen it
20%

Total votes: 5

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Horror Movie Discussion #64 - The Innkeepers

Post by Alien Redrum »

IMDB Synopsis:
During the final days at the Yankee Pedlar Inn, two employees determined to reveal the hotel's haunted past begin to experience disturbing events as old guests check in for a stay.
(suggested by Neon)
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Re: Horror Movie Discussion #63 - The Innkeepers

Post by Alien Redrum »

Not seen it but I want to.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Horror Movie Discussion #64 - The Innkeepers

Post by Neon Maniac »

I've never seen that poster before, and it's fairly silly. I liked it, it was pretty good. I'd say rent it because I don't know how much replay value it has, and I don't think this is a movie anyone would ever have a wild hair to watch at 3am. If you're a fan of Ghost Hunters International, I'd definitely suggest it.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

I kinda saw this at Frightfest 2011, where it was relegated to a Sunday or Monday afternoon slot. I say 'kinda saw' because I was falling asleep during it, not because it's a bad film, but because I was on my third or fourth day of 15-hours of film-watching back-to-back and I was exhausted. It didn't help that the film is a slow-burn and doesn't rely on loud jump scares, because it didn't keep me awake. Watching the two staff get gradually drawn in to the hauntings at the hotel and nodding off meant I had no idea whether I'd been out for 20 seconds or 20 minutes. Overall, it felt like the film was about 3 hours long, although I did wake up for the last 30 minutes or so when things start to get busy and I found it quite effectively spooky.

I'd like to see it again some time, just to see how much I missed (or didn't). Pretty solid, even with multiple naps throughout.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

DJBenz wrote:Overall, it felt like the film was about 3 hours long, although I did wake up for the last 30 minutes or so when things start to get busy and I found it quite effectively spooky.
This was the problem I had with it IIRC. I wanted to like it more. I need to rewatch it.

I found my letterboxd "review" of the film which doesn't really help:
Watched Jun 30, 2012
fnordboy’s review:

I went into this having no idea what to expect. By the end of it I felt let down. There are things about it that I really liked. It just felt to me like the film didn't have a firm grasp on what it wanted to be.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

DJBenz wrote:Pretty solid, even with multiple naps throughout.
Box cover quote. Right there.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote:
I found my letterboxd "review" of the film which doesn't really help:
Watched Jun 30, 2012
fnordboy’s review:

I went into this having no idea what to expect. By the end of it I felt let down. There are things about it that I really liked. It just felt to me like the film didn't have a firm grasp on what it wanted to be.
That's kind of why I said if you like Ghost Hunters International, you'd like this.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously