Best Film In a Horror Series

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Best Film In a Horror Series

Post by Rotting Corpse »

At the end of the day you can't go wrong with either, and both are a great double bill.

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse »

I recall in an earlier post I mentioned Jurassic Park and if it counts as Horror. Seeing the trailer for the upcoming new film (Fallen Kingdom) it definitely looks far more Horror-oriented than the prior films. I recall one of the writers even said it's a Horror movie with dinosaurs and that's the vibe I get from the trailers.

In any case, the original film is easily the best by a massive margin. I feel the series declines considerably with each movie after the first, though I do think The Lost World has gotten better with age and despite it's faults is a pretty good movie.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Jurassic World was on TV over Christmas and I watched it for the second time. I enjoyed it as much as the first, mainly because the CGI has come on so much and the original as steepd in 90s kitsch. Definitely looking forward to Fallen Kingdom, although I'm questioning how anyone could possibly table a proposal to put the park back together after several disasters involving the inevitable escape of the dinosaurs (hopefully that's not a key plot point of FK)
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

Not related but related, one of my local FYEs is closing and all their used movies are 50% off (and with my FYE card, I get an additional 10%). Anyway, they must be taking in overstock used from other stores because every time I've gone in, there's new stuff. I ended up scoring a bunch of 3D Blu-rays for like $6 each, and Jurassic World was one of them. Probably going to pop it in this weekend.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Jurassic World was a fun movie. I'm not a fan of Chris Pratt, but I liked seeing this franchise get resurrected.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse »

I thought Pratt was easily one of the better things about Jurassic World. The movie as a whole didn't do it for me but Fallen Kingdom looks promising so far. I like how they're using animatronic dinosaurs again, something sorely lacking and missing from the last film.

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse »

On the subject of Jurassic Park/World, going by the newest trailer for the upcoming Fallen Kingdom it definitely looks much more Horror-oriented than the prior films. I recall the director of the fourth film said this one would be a Horror movie with dinosaurs and I certainly get that impression from this new trailer.

Peter Anderson
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Peter Anderson »

Watched Tremors earlier on. The first one is still the best. That sucks about the new TV show getting axed, because Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward as Val and Earl could have had a hell of a time on this show, facing the other things the Graboids evolve into that were in the many sequels that only Earl and Burt (MIchael Gross) know of. Just such a pity. I hope another network decides to produce the series.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I think Jamie Kennedy and Michael Gross have done a great job carrying the series.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse »

I still have to see the newer Tremors movies, I've seen up to and including the fourth. The first two are both great, thought 3 and 4 were meh.

The Beast
Dead and Buried
Dead and Buried

Post by The Beast »

Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter -
I like Ted White's Portrayal of Jason, intimidating but not afraid to move fast/run to get to his victims.
Also had strong characters, plus it has Crispin Glover's dance.
Halloween 1/2 -
How can I not pick the first, it basically started the slasher craze but personally I find Halloween 2 more fun to watch, probably due to nostalgia. (one of the first horror movies I watched as a kid)
A Nightmare On Elm Street: Dream Warriors -
Personally never been much of a Freddy fan, he scared me as a kid but as I grow older he just gets goofier but I can admit that dream warriors was a good time when I was younger, still is a decent horror movie..just not that scary for me personally.
Saw -
I still think the first one is the best, followed by the second. Hard to beat the ending of the first and how much it blew peoples minds at the time.
Scream -
Same thing here, the original just had the advantage of well, being original. The sequels aren't bad it's just the first did it all better and had the advantage of not feeling formulaic.
Evil Dead Remake-
I must admit I'm not too familiar with the evil dead series so I'm not attached to Ash like some fans are but the remake/reboot really got under my skin (lol)
Phantasm -
I'm ashamed to say I have never seen a Phantasm movie, you all may now proceed to lynch me :P
Alien/Aliens -
For me it's a hard choice, Alien is the superior horror film but Aliens is more entertaining to watch.
Predator -
Love the first movie, the others are alright but this movie is perfect for what it is.
Hellraiser -
The first is just better, it's dark gothic horror is unsettling and the other movies just got lazier and lazier.
Child's Play 2 -
Felt like it did everything as good as the first but better in some regards.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake -
Felt Leatherface was too tame in the original, loved the intensity of the remake.
Final Destination 2 -
Same thing with Child's Play, it did what the original did but improved upon it.
Insidious -
The first is still the best to me, the second was alright until you find out what the entity actually is. same for the third.
The Conjuring 2 -
I prefer demons over ghostly witches so this is an easy pick for me. Plus the original doesn't hold up that well for me anymore
The Purge -
Ehh not really into the Purge movies so if I had to pick it'd be the first.
Paranormal Activity 2 -
Like my reasoning before, it did what the original did but better imo...also Micah annoys me.

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse »

After going through the first three Hellraiser movies as part of my Halloween Horror viewing this past October, I think Hellraiser III might actually be my favorite one. Not a popular opinion I'm sure, but I find it's probably the all-around most entertaining one, even if it was a bit of a tonal departure from the first two. I'm behind on the series a bit as I haven't seen any past Hellseeker, but it seems the last few films are of low-quality and the series sadly was never quite the same beginning with the fourth film and it's infamously difficult production.