Suspiria (2018)

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Suspiria (2018)

Post by Alien Redrum »

Shiki! Did you see that free book from Tor in the bargains forum? RELEVANT TO YOUR INTERESTS.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:49 pm
Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:04 am Is this streaming for free somewhere?
http://www.justwatch.com
Thank you, that's how I found it on Sunday afternoon finally.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:18 pm There is a lot to really like about this movie. I just absolutely hated the end third. :(
In my mind, they re-created the Berlin of the 70's that I always imagined. I liked that they went with a subdued look as opposed to the garishness of the original, while still maintaining the stylish of the original. If I'd been a fan of the original, I don't know that I'd feel this way though. Having never been a fan of the original it's probably easier for me to enjoy this one.

I'm definitely not lumping you into this, but I've read so many argento fanbois cry about this movie I almost knew I was going to like it. It was actually kind of difficult for me to start, and I almost gave up about 20 mins in (unfortunately I do that a lot, so it's not a great slight here) but then at some point, something hooked me and dragged me along.

Last night I started watching Suspiria in bed, and had to turn it off about 30 mins in because I was barely staying awake. I'm going to try to finish it tonight. Oddly. I do appreciate what I've seen of the original more, but not in a way that denigrates my appreciation of the remake.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:21 am
Alien Redrum wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:49 pm
Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:04 am Is this streaming for free somewhere?
http://www.justwatch.com
Thank you, that's how I found it on Sunday afternoon finally.
:up:

They have an app too that's super convenient if someone brings something up, you can look it up right away.

That said, I just recently bought the Blu-ray of the remake, so I'll watch it between 3 and 5 years from now.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:37 am
shiki-jitsu wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:18 pm There is a lot to really like about this movie. I just absolutely hated the end third. :(
In my mind, they re-created the Berlin of the 70's that I always imagined. I liked that they went with a subdued look as opposed to the garishness of the original, while still maintaining the stylish of the original. If I'd been a fan of the original, I don't know that I'd feel this way though. Having never been a fan of the original it's probably easier for me to enjoy this one.

I'm definitely not lumping you into this, but I've read so many argento fanbois cry about this movie I almost knew I was going to like it.
The reasons you list is why I loved the first 2/3s of it. It was amazingly subdued and beautiful. I honestly was excited for it based on the trailer, but went in as a fanboy of the original assuming I was not going to like it. I fell in love with it watching the movie play out. I was shocked at how much I liked it. But man the ending just turned into that garishness that you complain about in the original. I thought it was silly and way over the top. I was in shock at how this beautiful mvoie that completely sucked me in turned so quickly. And I can see how that could be used as a technique but I don't think that was the idea here. I don't think I have ever had a movie where I went in with low expectations was shot to such highs and then crashed so low in my liking of it. I definitely need to give it another watch as I can't really give exact points to refer to but it was the whole ending thing. I still think that a large part of the love this movie gets is the fact that people HAVE to be ignoring the ending and allowing the beginning 2/3s to overrule it in their mind. That is the only way I get it.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I kinda liked the ending. :shrug:

I thought the dance was great and tied the whole movie together.

I get it though. This is the same as when people tell me they prefer the version without narration and that makes him a robot.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

One of the things I don't like about the new movie is the whole family back home thing. The sick mom and all that. Yes yes I kind of see what you're trying to do there but it's not needed and you just made it clunky bitch. I could have done without all that.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Okay, I watched the original last night and it was still not my favorite Argento. I think I like that in the new one she's part of the process and appears to have been called there, whereas in the original she just kind of does a drive by, sees a bunch of crazy things and kills an old lady.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Another way to put it is that the original feels like a drive by of events that Suzy is swept up in, while the remake seems deeper and more fleshed out with details. I guess I appreciate that more.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:08 pm Another way to put it is that the original feels like a drive by of events that Suzy is swept up in, while the remake seems deeper and more fleshed out with details. I guess I appreciate that more.
Yeah I think that is a fair assessment. I need to revisit both again. Its been a while.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

No, I haven't watched it yet BUT this is related.

I was watching What We Do in the Shadows and one of my favorite episodes, the vampire counsel one, came on. I love that one. And (related) I always felt the dance they do before they have the hearing was very Argento-like in feel and tone. As many times as I've seen this episode, I've never bothered to look up what vampire movie Tilda was in, because I've never known. Well, I finally looked it up last night and found out. BUT, related to this, I also found out that dance in the show that I thought was Argento-like? It's a nod to the Susperia remake. :lol:

So genius.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Mods, can you split off that post into its own subject? We're discussing Suspiria here and this guy starts trying to talk about some CW vampire show and how it's the same. He can't even spell Suspiria right. :roll:

:lol:

I still haven't watched that CW vampire show.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Holy shit, it's so good. AND SUSPIRIA NO MATTER HOW YOU FUCKING SPELL IT IS SOME FAKE WORD. :mad:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

You only think it's a made up word because you don't know Italian. It's one of the languages they still speak in the Old World. DJ can probably tell you more about it. The Old World is a regular Tower of Babel with everyone speaking nonsense.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

If it's not American, it's not real. :mad: