The Silence

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

The Silence

Post by Alien Redrum »

New release on Netflix. Was really looking forward to it because I loved Tim Lebbon's book that it's based on.

Some questionable CGI at points, but overall pretty good. Plus it has Sabrina it, so I'm counting it as me watching Sabrina season 2.

It would make a great double feature with A Quiet Place. While I like A Quiet Place slightly more, this is definitely worth a watch.

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: The Silence

Post by Neon Maniac »

I see it's got Stanely Tucci in it. Is this a sequel to Easy A? I've been hoping for one for years.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Prequel.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Hmm... too bad. That's a prequel nobody asked for.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm watching this now and it's okay. It also has the aunt from Sabrina, but nobody wants to talk about that for some reason. I think that's ageist.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

So these bat things get released from a cave and suddenly are all over the whole planet? That must've been a large cave. I call BS on it.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Just finished it. Had to look for my eyeballs as I rolled them so much they flew out of my head. The cult was stupid and unnecessary I thought.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

The cult was far creepier in the book. It was a bit melodramatic in the movie. And IIRC, it was just one guy in the book, not a bunch of people, so it was even more bothersome because you didn't know.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:01 pm I'm watching this now and it's okay. It also has the aunt from Sabrina, but nobody wants to talk about that for some reason. I think that's ageist.
:lol:

Was she the grammy? I didn't even recognize her.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

This is one of the reasons I stopped reading a lot of modern authors. They create a great story, but that's not enough! We need more, right!? So let's add a secondary issue that instead of enhancing the story, actually derails it as you get pulled out of the main story to deal with the side bullshit. That's 100% how I view the cult. It was stupid, it was a waste of time. Side bullshit sucks and when I see it in a story I just think it's an author who can't tell a story properly without adding stupid shit to it.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I think I'm just kind of mad because I liked the movie until the cult. And it showed up last minute and seemed so manufactured.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

In the book, the guy was introduced much earlier IIRC.

I can definitely see where it's annoying in the movie. Since I read the book, I forgave it because I filled in a lot of blanks.

In the film, it made the cult the main antagonist. In the book, it didn't feel like that it all. It felt more like the motorcycle gang in Dawn of the Dead. Not the main antagonist, but more of another, "shit, we have to deal with this too?" and less of a "forget everything we started on, the story is now THIS." And that's the problem with the film that I didn't really consider until you pointed it out (again, because I read the book and I have a different look).

But, yeah, the movie introduces the cult folks and it becomes THEIR story, when it shouldn't be. It should always be the story about the vesps being the bad guy, and there are other issues.

I think if you liked it up until then, you should read the book. Or not. Do what you want. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:44 am
Neon Maniac wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:01 pm I'm watching this now and it's okay. It also has the aunt from Sabrina, but nobody wants to talk about that for some reason. I think that's ageist.

Was she the grammy? I didn't even recognize her.
Seriously? She was the mom, Stanely Tucci's wife. She looked and sounded exactly as she does in Sabrina.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Didn't even notice, and I really like her on Sabrina too. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:59 pm In the book, the guy was introduced much earlier IIRC.

I can definitely see where it's annoying in the movie. Since I read the book, I forgave it because I filled in a lot of blanks.

In the film, it made the cult the main antagonist. In the book, it didn't feel like that it all. It felt more like the motorcycle gang in Dawn of the Dead. Not the main antagonist, but more of another, "shit, we have to deal with this too?" and less of a "forget everything we started on, the story is now THIS." And that's the problem with the film that I didn't really consider until you pointed it out (again, because I read the book and I have a different look).

But, yeah, the movie introduces the cult folks and it becomes THEIR story, when it shouldn't be. It should always be the story about the vesps being the bad guy, and there are other issues.

I think if you liked it up until then, you should read the book. Or not. Do what you want. :lol:
No, I would never read the book specifically because of all that. :lol:

The motorcycle gang in Dawn is a good example. That doesn't fit in the movie either and pulls me out completely. That movie would be so much better if they weren't a part of it. :lol: I love that the remake chose not to include them and instead focused on the inherent conflicts that come from a zombie apocalypse instead of throwing in a motorcycle gang because George Romero's really bad at figuring out realistic conflict.

Honestly I don't think I'd have known those people were supposed to be a cult if I hadn't read that they were supposed to be a cult. We learn absolutely nothing about it, so it really makes little sense. The movie poorly explains the cult and just sets them up as an antagonizing force. The cult, the fact the bats were suddenly everywhere in the world and there were somehow millions/billions of them, all were so unrealistic I coudn't enjoy this movie.

I'll never read the book. Not a fan of Tim Lebbon, because I read something of his a long time ago which I forget now but it annoyed the fuck out of me so I'm betting this story will too.

Here's the thing: If I want to read a book about zombies, and the story is about people fleeing the zombies who run into a compound of redneck survivalists who want to enslave them, the book ceases to be about zombies. It's about redneck survivalists trying to enslave people. That would be fantastic if I wanted to read a book about redneck survivalists enslaving people. But I wanted to read a book about people fleeing from zombies. That's what this story did. It had a cool idea but was really about something else which was 100% lame.

Guy's crab stories? They're 100% about fucking crabs. That's why I love them. They're not suddenly about a gas station attendant who tries to cheat people on gas prices because they're fleeing crabs. They're not about a mentally ill comic store owner attempting to trick and abduct people so he can touch them like Dudley by offering them sanctuary from the crabs.

This was a fucking "a random cult wants to come take my daughter for no apparent reason" story, not a story about a world being attacked by a new predator, which is what I signed up for. And for that, Lebbon, Netflix, Tucci and Sabrina can go fuck themselves. :hitler: