2020 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: 2020 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Alien Redrum »

I've been watching a lot of Dexter the past few days. Oddly, it was on a whim, but it worked out pretty good because apparently Showtime is bringing it back for a limited run. :yay:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:30 pm 1. I honestly don't understand fan films. They are a waste of money IMO. If you want to show your talent, bring a new monster to the table.
2. I don't know if these are the same people, but I was at a show once where a Jason from a fan film was charging $25 for an autograph and picture. What a fucking clown. :lol:
1. Agreed, and these guys clearly have some talent because they made some great looking, polished films.
2. Holy shit, as if convention scalping could get any worse. :lol:
Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:30 pmI'll probably watch these at some point, but man, I just don't get fan fiction because you can't distribute it anywhere outside of YouTube, and it's not going to do anything for you (generally). It just seems like such a waste.
Yeah, these are both preceded by massive disclaimers on how they're not making any money from them and they're just fan creations etc. (ie please don't sue us). Side note: Alone, the full film, has 1.7m views on YouTube. The Dead Meat 'kill count' video has 8.1m views, showing what a bunch of ADHD short attention span knob-heads the YouTube audience is.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Yeah, these are both preceded by massive disclaimers on how they're not making any money from them and they're just fan creations etc. (ie please don't sue us). Side note: Alone, the full film, has 1.7m views on YouTube. The Dead Meat 'kill count' video has 8.1m views, showing what a bunch of ADHD short attention span knob-heads the YouTube audience is.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again, as above, I don't know if this was the same film, but the same person that was charging for autographs was charging for the movie at the table. I've developed a love/hate relationship with cons. :lol:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm not a fan of fan created content, but I can see why a filmmaker might do it. While I agree that they should be showing off their talent with an original creation, fan fic is quick and less challenging, and can make a difference for a burgeoning career. The guy with 1.5m views of a fan fic film is going to likely get a job before someone with the same skill set who doesn't have that film.

I really hate fan fiction, but if they're not making money its harmless. I think the youtube vids are likely making money though.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:39 pm I'm not a fan of fan created content, but I can see why a filmmaker might do it. While I agree that they should be showing off their talent with an original creation, fan fic is quick and less challenging, and can make a difference for a burgeoning career. The guy with 1.5m views of a fan fic film is going to likely get a job before someone with the same skill set who doesn't have that film.
I honestly used to think that, but it's not true. Like...remember Batman: Dead End, and how amazing that was? Yeah, that's pretty much all that guy did.

Heck, take this list for example: https://www.cbr.com/bat-fan-the-10-best ... fan-films/

None of them have done anything of substance besides their fanfilm save one person; but he was doing TV shows well before and well after the shorts.

I think the fan films hurt them because it shows the lack of originality. Don't get me wrong, it can show they are decent directors I suppose, but it also shows they aren't very original.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Fine. You're right. You just have to be right about everything. :mad:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

That's true, but I believe your statement should be true, but I don't know why it isn't. I want to know why. You would think that someone who did something like Batman: Dead End would be given a shot with something because that's a fun and popular short. But dude has done virtually nothing.

I want to know why that is. :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Anyone watching the Hulu Bite-sized Halloween shorts? They are pretty good. This one is one of my favorites of the ones I've seen so far:

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Hubie Halloween :3stars:

Apparently Adam Sandler said that he was going to make the worst movie ever after Uncut Gems was snubbed for Oscar nominations. Some might say he's a man of his word. Not me though, Netflix's Hubie Halloween is alright in a templated Adam Sandler movie kind of way. Sandler plays Hubie Dubois, stop me if you've heard this one, a persecuted loser with a heart of gold and a speech impediment. When strange things start going on in the town of Salem and people start disappearing, it falls to him to save Halloween. Even if you don't like Sandler, it's worth it for the cameos and the t-shirts his mother wears. Also enough fart, poop and pee gags to keep my kids chuckling throughout.

Hannibal - S01

I've slept on this long enough now, so after much nagging from my eldest son I started S01 and got the first two episodes in. Loving what looks like the development of a cat and mouse game between Lecter and Graham and the ingenuity of the killers they investigate.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I liked Hubie. You can overlook Sandler for the rest of the cast. At worst, it's goofy and harmless.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Hannibal is an absolutely beautiful show.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I love how in Hubie, the mayor is basically the mayor from Jaws, only he won't let Halloween be canceled because it's 85% of their tourist dollars for the year. He's even got the matching jacket. They recreate a couple of the mayor / Brody scenes, actually. There are a lot of visual puns and other horror movie Easter eggs in this by the way.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Ohhhhhh, I was pretty much on board before I read that, but now I'm sold.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

18th October - Wishmaster Netflix :3.5stars:

Filling in a gap in my 90s horror viewing list I opted for this on Netflix. Didn't realise what a gory flick it was and every gag rendered in glorious practical effects (especially the guy at the start whose skeleton tears its way out of his body). Tacky and corny in a 90s way, but kept making me chuckle how the Wishmaster could twist the simplest of wishes into something that meant people ended up dying. TBH, he could've granted his three wishes and brought forth the Djinn apocalypse if he'd just been a bit nicer in how he interpreted the desires.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

My first stinker of October. I was aware of the film in title only as it screened at Frightfest a couple of years ago. Armie Hammer is a New Orleans bartender whose sanity starts to unravel after he finds a phone that was left behind in his bar. Some semi-interesting ideas, but it's one of those films that makes pretty much zero sense or you need to be wanky film critic to wax lyrical over its "subversion of the genre" or some shit like that. Absolute bobbins. :1star: