2020 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: 2020 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Alien Redrum »

Set your expectations low, bro. There are some REALLY GREAT scenes. But overall...it's okay? I mean, I liked it enough to give it a 3/5, but I don't see you thinking that much of it TBH.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Truth Seekers

I got screener links from Amazon Prime for this show starring and written by Nick Frost (and a little bit of Simon Pegg), which is pretty much as the trailer shows; a comedy horror show about an amateur ghost hunter. What I didn't expect is that when they do the scares, they actually do them pretty well, balancing them with the humour.

Inheritance

Not even sure if this can be considered horror, but screw you, I rarely do this well in October so I'm claiming it. Plus, we reviewed it, so it counts. I wasn't intending to go on a Simon Pegg binge, but by sheer chance the last three things I've watched have featured him in some way.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Watched Creepshow 2 for the first time in a while. Holds up pretty good. Well, except for that rapey part in "The Raft" when the dude starts feeling up the sleeping teen while romantic music plays. *shudder*

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

So I'm watching 47 Meters Down: Uncaged and it's surprisingly a decent sequel, mainly because the shark is fucking terrifying. It brings absolutely nothing new to the table, but I dig that scarred-up shark.

I literally yelled OH SHIT, laughed out loud, and applauded at one point. Definitely a fun one.

Plus it counts towards my $5 coupon off cheezits and digital movies at Amazon.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 pm Watched Creepshow 2 for the first time in a while. Holds up pretty good. Well, except for that rapey part in "The Raft" when the dude starts feeling up the sleeping teen while romantic music plays. *shudder*
I watched this about a week ago. Yeah, that part was pretty rapey :lol:

I've always liked the first one, but 2 was always a little meh for me. It's not bad, it's just not great.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

True crime fits?
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

It shouldn't, but nobody cares anymore. I'm watching every season of Bob's Burgers and calling that horror.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:42 pm
Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 pm Watched Creepshow 2 for the first time in a while. Holds up pretty good. Well, except for that rapey part in "The Raft" when the dude starts feeling up the sleeping teen while romantic music plays. *shudder*
I watched this about a week ago. Yeah, that part was pretty rapey :lol:

I've always liked the first one, but 2 was always a little meh for me. It's not bad, it's just not great.
The first one is definitely better, but I've always liked part two. I don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks it is. THANKS FOR THE RIDE, LADY! :lol:

God, I love that.

THANKS FOR THE RIDE!

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

That's another story that 's really dated :lol:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:18 am It shouldn't, but nobody cares anymore. I'm watching every season of Bob's Burgers and calling that horror.
Sorry, I only listen to the original thread starter. :shrug:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

I trust your judgment. There aren't any prizes here. I just like having fun with my pals.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 am
Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:18 am It shouldn't, but nobody cares anymore. I'm watching every season of Bob's Burgers and calling that horror.
Sorry, I only listen to the original thread starter. :shrug:
You cuck. :roll:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I marathoned American Horror Story 1984 last weekend. It as only 9 eps I think. I wasn't impressed and I thought it was kinda lame.

I think part of it was that there were a lot of regular cast members missing. The cast is one of the reasons I liked this show. Another part with casting that kind of ticked me off is that in the past Anthony Ruivivar has played Richard Ramirez and he does a really good job of it. But they replaced him with some guy who wasn't all that interesting. And seriously, is John Carroll Lynch going to be their go-to serial killer? If so, that's already old.

There's just a lot of little things like that, but they add up to a lot for me. The whole thing seemed contrived or forced to me.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Never Hike Alone

Never Hike in the Snow

I watched these two Friday the 13th fan films last night. I've slept on Alone since it came out and have read many positive things about it. Snow was released yesterday to much fanfare, so I thought I'd check both out. Alone runs about 53 minutes and Snow is about 30, so together you've pretty much got a whole feature.

Alone follows a YouTube outdoorsman, Kyle (of course), hiking, as you might expect, alone. He comes across a trail marked "Keep Out, No Trespassing, Jason will kill you if you come past this point" etc. and fails to heed the warning like any good horror movie doofus would, pressing on and finding the remarkably well-preserved remains of Camp Crystal Lake

Snow features another lone explorer in a similar predicament. But in the snow.

There's lots to appreciate with these two indie features. Alone in particular is a skilfully made film and the performance from its lead actor carries it - a crucial aspect as he's the only person on screen for about 80% of the movie. It's almost disappointing they didn't just push this to feature length as 53 minutes is so close. Considering that most of the build up is just the one guy hiking and camping it works surprisingly well.

Snow's strength lies in its gore, which is plentiful and starts within the first few minutes.

However, along with the positives there are some negatives. I was slightly disappointed in the Jason; his physical size isn't as intimidating as some other actors who have played the role and although the filmmakers made the effort to have details like a rotted Jason face and hands in particular scenes, for the majority of the time you just see the back of his head, which has been painted grey.

Both films suffer with their endings, neither of which are particularly strong. Alone is the better of the two, but still a bit of a damp squib,
whereas Snow in its entirety feels like it could be the middle 30 minutes out of a Friday the 13th film with a wholly unsatisfactory wrap-up.

Both films bring back characters and the actors from Friday the 13th VI: Jason lives, in Thom Matthews (Tommy Jarvis) and Vincent Guastaferro (previously Deputy Rick Cologne, now Sheriff). Both play older version of their earlier selves, making these two shorts direct canon to the original franchise. What is quite amusing is that both are noticeably shitter actors than the unknown names around them. :lol: And these guys would charge you $50 for a signature at a convention, whereas the other, better, actors have the skills but not the links to an 80s horror franchise.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

1. I honestly don't understand fan films. They are a waste of money IMO. If you want to show your talent, bring a new monster to the table.
2. I don't know if these are the same people, but I was at a show once where a Jason from a fan film was charging $25 for an autograph and picture. What a fucking clown. :lol:

I'll probably watch these at some point, but man, I just don't get fan fiction because you can't distribute it anywhere outside of YouTube, and it's not going to do anything for you (generally). It just seems like such a waste.