The Stand

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

The Stand

Post by Alien Redrum »

Just started watching it. 20 minutes in and 100% invested.

I'm already liking some of the changes from the book/original series.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Re: The Stand

Post by Alien Redrum »

And Goldberg as Abagail is such a great choice.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:30 pm I'm already liking some of the changes from the book/original series.
Hmm.... that makes me even more wary about this. What are they changing from the book? This is going to be some Han Solo dies and emo Vader and female Luke get together remake. I can feel it.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Well, they added some things to Lauder's story (regarding being bullied) and reinforced his creepiness.

They're expanding on Stu and the hospital Doctor's relationship (at least from the first TV movie; I can't remember from the book how much they chatted).

The opening doesn't open with Campion escaping the base, but rather in the future. And the time is jumping around a little (which is fine). This first episode is concentrating on Stu and Franny and Harold.

I will say the first person I recognized, I started laughing. THIS FUCKING GUY. I'll put spoiler quotes on who it was as to not ruin the surprise.
Spoiler:
Fucking Krychek from The X-Files. :mad:

:lol:

His character isn't a bad guy. I just saw Krychek and thought, "Fuck you, asshole." :lol:
Very cool easter egg too for readers.
Spoiler:
Harold got a rejection letter from Cemetery Dance, signed by Brian Freeman, the old editor of CD.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:36 pm And Goldberg as Abagail is such a great choice.
The wrestler?

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Honestly, I'm never going to watch this. Why would they feel like they had to give some reason for making Harold creepy? Honestly, I hate that shit in remakes. It's like millennials don't understand that people can just be creepy, they have to over-explain it all and get into details so that THEY understand it. It's further dumbing down as far as I'm concerned. The next remake after this of The Stand will go to great lengths to explain why Flagg's a bad guy.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:42 pm Honestly, I'm never going to watch this. Why would they feel like they had to give some reason for making Harold creepy? Honestly, I hate that shit in remakes. It's like millennials don't understand that people can just be creepy, they have to over-explain it all and get into details so that THEY understand it. It's further dumbing down as far as I'm concerned. The next remake after this of The Stand will go to great lengths to explain why Flagg's a bad guy.
I had a whole reply, but you'll never watch it, so it's irrelevant I guess. :lol:

If you do, I'm happy to discuss it.
Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:39 pm
Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:36 pm And Goldberg as Abagail is such a great choice.
The wrestler?
Yes, but he's wearing a wig and in blackface, so you hardly recognize him.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'll probably watch it one day, but it's not going to be one day soon. I'm not going to subscribe to CBS. If it hits another platform in 5 years, I'm sure I'll see it.

Regardless, I'm just going to blame it on millennials not understanding that everyone's not the same and just like some people are born homosexual, some people are born creepy, or born mean or born smart, etc. I blame it on the whole everyone's equal garbage.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

I'm mad because they didn't drop all episodes at once. It's a damn pay service. Why make people wait?

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, that's 100% BS. That's why I buy 1 month of HBO every year. I go in, marathon all the shows and dip. Fuck the 12 month string along.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Yup. And I use PLAYON for the things to watch later.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Is it Beverly Goldberg playing old mother Abagail? That would be awesome.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Third episode in and I'm really starting to dig it. I'm liking some of the changes, but it still bothers me that Larry Underwood is played by a black guy. Only because in the book it was a bit of a big deal that he was white and everyone assumed he was black. It would be like casting a white woman as Mother Abigail. It goes against the essence of the character.

I would have been a-okay with Stu being played from a black guy because color is not important with someone like Stu.

I'm wondering if this plays out somehow in the future.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Oh man, Glen Bateman just showed up. PERFECT casting.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

TOM CULLEN JUST SHOWED UP AND I LOVE HIM ALREADY.