The Stand

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: The Stand

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:03 am You'd die on the side of the road like Harold.
Probably. Fucking Nadine, man. :mad:

OH! Speaking of which, mild spoiler on THAT change:
Spoiler:
Remember how in the book/first series Harold saw Flagg and that caused the crash? It's done differently here and it really works.
Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:18 am When is the last episode of this? CBS All Access?
Thursday I believe, on CBS All Access.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:51 pm
Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:18 am When is the last episode of this? CBS All Access?
Thursday I believe, on CBS All Access.
Wrong, it's going to be on Paramount +. They're changing the name after the coup on 3/4.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I just took a quiz on Facebook to see if I would survive the new Stand and apparently I would. I would have tagged you in it but you're not on Facebook anymore so I guess that's just your loss.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Holy SHIT. This last episode, the one that's supposed to be about Stu and Tom coming home?

COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY DIFFERENT.

I'm not talking about it until you see it.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

PLEASE do not read this spoiler until after you finish the series, I beg you.
Spoiler:
MAGICAL NEGRO!!11!1!!ONE!!!UNO

:rotfl:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Ok, no worries

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

What a weird place to start it.

I hate this so much.

This is how I wished covid had been. I totally would have been a survivor

yep totally get what you mean by filling stuff in :lol:

I hate the guy who plays Stu. He is a total pretty boy.

That's why I used batteries in my radios. Power goes out it keeps on going and I get to listen to what the sick drunk President says. Now we will never get to know what he authorized. :mad:

why did they move Hemingford Home to Colorado? Did anyone who wrote this ever go to Colorado? Did they know that the Rockies are not a huge farming community? Did they know that you don't have endless cornfields in the Rockies? I am so angry right now.

Okay Harold lives somewhere that's on the sea and also has scorpions. Yeah that makes sense.

Oh my God I wanted to hear him talk about the hobo jungles. This Harold just doesn't get it. And I'm pretty sure Franny's a total whore.

I don't like these dynamics at all. It's all weird and I'm old and its foreign.

Why aren't they playing Crowded House? :mad:

Moving stu makes zero sense. Everything that happened to him makes zero sense. What was the point of the tough guy he had like three lines.

" oh my God you gamed the Apocalypse" -- it was called War Games, Stu. It gets redone every day over and over and over by WOPR. Jesus Christ I hate millennials. Fucking little never heard of the Cold War namby-pambies.

Funny how crippled Stu's running up and down the halls.

Fucking millennials. Colorado is fucking out west. Nobody would ever be in Boulder and be like Oh I'm going to go out west to Las Vegas. You might have something to say how do you get to Las Vegas? And the answer would be, get on the freeway westbound.

And seriously, Harold was dream free wasn't he?

Stuart dog cock Redmond indeed. That's one thing Harold and I see eye-to-eye on.

I'm sure I will enjoy it more as the series goes on I just wanted to bitch about all the things that drive me crazy right now :lol:

I kind of like having the story laid out differently like they did. I did see myself adding a bunch of stuff from the book Poe which made it difficult when they would have contradictory information.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I started 2 but I'm not going to be able to finish it tonight. Needless to say so far it makes me angry. What the fuck is Nadine doing with Joe and Larry?

Lloyd -- I don't even know what to say :lol: I do like the robbery in this one much better than the other one.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol: at all of this.

Yeah, the robbery was far better, but Lloyd is a joke in this one. I don't like his portrayal AT ALL.
OMG SAME PAGE. :lol: WHERE IS DON'T DREAM IT'S OVER? :mad: :mad: :mad:
why did they move Hemingford Home to Colorado?
I thought this in particular was weird for a few reasons.

1. Unless you've read the book, the dreams of her on a porch facing a cornfield make NO SENSE if she's living in a retirement community.
2. Why did they even do this? I'm still confused.

I don't hate the change. Just from a logical standpoint, why the fuck are they dreaming of her in her book house if she lives somewhere in her TV house. I can't remember if this is even addressed.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I swear I can't wait until you get to my spoiler. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:23 pm :lol: at all of this.

Yeah, the robbery was far better, but Lloyd is a joke in this one. I don't like his portrayal AT ALL.
OMG SAME PAGE. :lol: WHERE IS DON'T DREAM IT'S OVER? :mad: :mad: :mad:
why did they move Hemingford Home to Colorado?
I thought this in particular was weird for a few reasons.

1. Unless you've read the book, the dreams of her on a porch facing a cornfield make NO SENSE if she's living in a retirement community.
2. Why did they even do this? I'm still confused.

I don't hate the change. Just from a logical standpoint, why the fuck are they dreaming of her in her book house if she lives somewhere in her TV house. I can't remember if this is even addressed.
It sounds like you have info here that I haven't learned yet, so I'll see what they say. It really made me angry that Hemingford Home is in CO though. Like moving Stu, it's an addition that not only makes no sense, it's entirely pointless.

I'm not liking how they handle some things. Like the general. I think the Farmers guy did a good job and it was a good role for him, but it was so much more impactful when he's just in his office watching monitors and realizing that everything's fucked. I blame this again on millennials. I am 100% convinced that when millennials are alone, they sit and wait for other humans, like they're robots recharging or something, and in that idle state they do not or are incapable of inner thought. So the general would've been completely foreign to them and they needed to have another human there. Ditto for Stu. Both of the characters live in their own heads at that part of the beginning, with no stimulation and just reaction. I think this is what millennials are incapable of doing/understanding.

This kind of goes back to the inner monologue idea, and how some people don't have them. I don't think millennials do or know how to use it if they do. So its impossible to them for a character to reason or logic out something without having another person there to speak with. I worked with a lot of millennials in my last job, and they seemed in awe that I could solve problems without discussion. I now think they didn't have inner monologues.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:32 pm It sounds like you have info here that I haven't learned yet, so I'll see what they say. It really made me angry that Hemingford Home is in CO though. Like moving Stu, it's an addition that not only makes no sense, it's entirely pointless.
Oh, shit! I'm sorry! It's not really a spoiler. You'll see when you get there, but Hemingford Home is not her fucking house in Nebraska, and it just makes no sense on any level. I wish someone here never read the book but watched the miniseries (this new one). I have questions.
I'm not liking how they handle some things. Like the general. I think the Farmers guy did a good job and it was a good role for him, but it was so much more impactful when he's just in his office watching monitors and realizing that everything's fucked. I blame this again on millennials. I am 100% convinced that when millennials are alone, they sit and wait for other humans, like they're robots recharging or something, and in that idle state they do not or are incapable of inner thought. So the general would've been completely foreign to them and they needed to have another human there. Ditto for Stu. Both of the characters live in their own heads at that part of the beginning, with no stimulation and just reaction. I think this is what millennials are incapable of doing/understanding.

This kind of goes back to the inner monologue idea, and how some people don't have them. I don't think millennials do or know how to use it if they do. So its impossible to them for a character to reason or logic out something without having another person there to speak with. I worked with a lot of millennials in my last job, and they seemed in awe that I could solve problems without discussion. I now think they didn't have inner monologues.
While every bit of this is completely accurate and I won't even debate you on it because on a level I totally agree with you, none of this in particular bothered me at all. Mainly because I've read the book and seen the '80s mini-series so many times, changing it up was fine with me.

I mean, relatively. Like the whole thing with Larry being black and his music and popularity being such an insignificant part in the mini-series (you're an epsiode or two in, so you're probably already seeing this) and the Hemingford Home part just doesn't make any sense. (Something else doesn't make sense, but I'll wait until you get there; you'll be bitching about it too).

See, it doesn't even bother me they moved Hemingford Home to another state. What bothers me is what they changed Hemingford Home to. I can't grasp why that change was made on any level at all. It's fucking part of Mother Abagail's character on where she lives. SO MUCH SO PEOPLE FUCKING DREAM ABOUT IT.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

OH! And re: The Final Episode. I fucking hate Frannie even more now. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

You didn't give away any real spoilers, I don't care. I'm taking it that Hemingford Home is a retirement home or something in CO? If so, that makes sense in a weird King way. Thinking about Talisman and Gunslinger where there would be names that would make the reader or characters think one thing and then it turns out to be another. But agreed, if it is a home in CO, the cornfields make ZERO sense and it really took away from the character. I feel so far like this is trying to rush to the destination, not enjoy the journey -- and this book is all about the journey.

This is the thing for me with things like mixing the general and Stu: It's goddammed fucking lazy and boring. There were two stories there, two good stories. Now there's only one and it's unrealistic and mediocre. What was accomplished there? Amalgamizing characters can be useful and economic, but amalgamizing scenes almost never is. Think of all the nonsense we had to go through just to make it that scene with the both of them. Stu moving, being threatened, the addition of another character, mean guy, who ultimately was lame and worthless, etc. They could've just kept it separate like they should be and used all that time and energy into making the actual story better.

I'm okay with things changing up, I'm just not okay with changing things up to the detriment of something due to the creator being an inept buffoon. Which is what I'm calling this.