The Man With The Iron Fists

If it's not horror, this is the place!
DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Anti-Spam Question: No

The Man With The Iron Fists

Post by DJBenz »

You might have seen the trailer for this and thought that it looks reasonably entertaining in the same way that Ninja Assassin was with its hyper-violent cartoon martial arts action.

You'd be wrong.

Ever remember as a kid when you watched a Kung-Fu movie and you imagined yourself as the hero in the film? Well RZA is still that kid, except someone let him make his own movie. Unfortunately, most kids don't make particularly good movies and that's exactly what is the result here. Eli Roth co-wrote with RZA and really it just proves that Roth has very little talent (although it is blinding compared to that of RZA). Quentin Tarantino is producer, which is quite an apt name to have attached seeing as TMWTIF is a wholesale rip-off of different scenes from Kung-Fu movies (even going so far as to use the 'hall of mirrors' scene from Enter The Dragon and hoping no one would notice).

While Tarantino can rip-off pay homage to the films he loves and at least make it entertaining, RZA has none of his finesse. The characters are flat and uninteresting, his own being particularly bad (he's the Blacksmith and he's black, geddit?) with no central protagonist being defined. It makes for little more than a meandering collection of poorly choreographed fight scenes that use far too much wire work and have CGI blood laid on. Even the physical effects by KNB aren't up to their usual high standard. Even the soundtrack is ridiculous, Wu-Tang songs play over scenes set in feudal China which is surprisingly jarring.

Avoid at all costs.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Re: The Man With The Iron Fists

Post by Alien Redrum »

Eli Roth co-wrote with RZA and really it just proves that Roth has very little talent (although it is blinding compared to that of RZA). Quentin Tarantino is producer, which is quite an apt name to have attached seeing as TMWTIF is a wholesale rip-off of different scenes from Kung-Fu movies (even going so far as to use the 'hall of mirrors' scene from Enter The Dragon and hoping no one would notice).
I love everything about this.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

This is pretty much what I expected from this, but I will always be thankful for TMWTIF for getting the Man With the Iron Fists BET Cypher together:
http://www.bet.com/video/hiphopawards/2 ... ypher.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joey Bada$$, A$AP Rocky, Angel Haze, Childish Gambino and Driicky Graham and RZA. Near perfection.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Is the RZA wearing an Ed Hardy shirt? WTF.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

I just remembered: The village where RZA is the blacksmith is called 'Jungle Village' :roll:
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram