If it's not horror, this is the place!
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

OC and Stiggs

Post by Neon Maniac »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089715/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

This is perhaps one of the worst movies ever made. Its' badness could easily be forgiven, except that it's a Robert Altman film. Which, if you've ever seen a Robert Altman film, is generally really good. And has 10000 million stars and awesome actors in it. This does have the 1000 million stars. It's a great cast. A lot of Altman regulars and a lot of others, most notably Tina Louise aka Ginger from Gilligan's Island.

It's a wacky teen comedy ripped from the pages of 70's National Lampoon. It's absolutely terrible. Makes little sense, and I think Robert Altman should've sued himself after making it.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: OC and Stiggs

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I love Altman, but he does have some really bad misses occasionally.

Case in point: Popeye. Yes, I said it. Come at me bitches.

I have not watched OC and Stiggs though. Can not comment other than that I would probably like it better than Popeye.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote:I love Altman, but he does have some really bad misses occasionally.

Case in point: Popeye. Yes, I said it. Come at me bitches.

I have not watched OC and Stiggs though. Can not comment other than that I would probably like it better than Popeye.
This wasn't a miss. This was more like he didn't realize he was even making a film maybe. It's honestly that bad. Popeye has a lot of reasons to not like it. But at the end of the day, you can't deny that it was a well made, well produced film with a great cast. You can't say that about OC and Stiggs.

I'd never heard of it, it just popped up on This.TV after some other movie ended. It was 100% terrible. I mean Plan 9 type bad. Doing some research I found that it's universally hated and believe to be the worst film Altman ever made. And not so bad that it's a 'bad Atman film' but on the par of being one of the worst movies ever. It was made in the early 80's but not actually released until 1987 because the studio was obligated to release it. They planned on writing the whole thing off and wanted to bury it forever. It's that bad.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: But at the end of the day, you can't deny that it was a well made, well produced film with a great cast. You can't say that about OC and Stiggs.
How can you say that: Jane Curtin, Jon Cryer, Bob Uecker and Cynthia Nixon. Sounds like a stellar cast. :lol:

Wow this sounds really bad. Now I want to see it.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote:
Neon Maniac wrote: But at the end of the day, you can't deny that it was a well made, well produced film with a great cast. You can't say that about OC and Stiggs.
How can you say that: Jane Curtin, Jon Cryer, Bob Uecker and Cynthia Nixon. Sounds like a stellar cast. :lol:

Wow this sounds really bad. Now I want to see it.
It was a stellar cast! Seriously. The thing is, the adults in the movie were hilarious character actors. A lot like any of his ensemble movies. But this was a wacky teen comedy, so the two stars, two lame no-experienced, teen actors were the stars and had to carry the movie. They had absolutely no charisma or timing. And Altman really doesn't know how to direct wacky teen antics, so those parts were mostly terrible. I can see why it was held back by the studio. I think they may have been trying to help Altman as much as themselves.

It's on DVD for sure, and This.TV (If you have any kind of cable/satellite you have it somewhere and if you're over the air like me you also have it because it's one of the awesome x.3 stations that mainly shows movies. It's the station I made AR find when we did the Breakin' chat on fb.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Oh, and in all fairness, Bob Uecker actually plays himself.