[HDNA #02] - My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: [HTBC] - My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:43 pm

I totally missed where he said owl demon! :eek:
He said he could see a demon the shape of an owl or something like that.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:43 pm

That was me and it's two posts up. :(
No, I saw your post. I thought I'd seen his before it.
Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:43 pm What do you mean, too much? You didn't like it?

I loved it. It was kind of like Carol Anne in Poltergeist. Good Gretchen is gone but not really. She's trapped. AND WHERE IS THAT PHONE!!
I liked it. But I don't know that I believe it. Talking to someone on a phone who should be impossible to talk to is an old story trick. Except in church stories where they talk to grandma in heaven, the person doing the talking usually ends up being crazy.

Is she crazy? Is the demon gaslighting her?

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:26 pm Is she crazy? Is the demon gaslighting her?
I don't know! I think the demon is gaslighting me. :(

THAT DEMON IS VERY EVIL AND SMART. :mad:

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Holy shit. I didn't realize until just now I'm still 6 chapters ahead. This thing moves!

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:48 pm Holy shit. I didn't realize until just now I'm still 6 chapters ahead. This thing moves!
Exactly. I was checking last night when I was posting and I was 6 or 7 ahead which is why I got nervous. :lol: Before I was only like 2-3 tops ahead at any time. The last 1/3 of the book is flying by.... and I am loving every minute of it.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm trying to catch up, but please let's keep having meaningful discussions on this and not rush it away like fudge cake at a fat boy party.

https://www.deliriumsrealm.com/andras/

Interesting.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm read up through Tonight She Comes, if you want to discuss.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:38 am I'm trying to catch up, but please let's keep having meaningful discussions on this and not rush it away like fudge cake at a fat boy party.

https://www.deliriumsrealm.com/andras/

Interesting.
WHOA, NICE FIND!!
Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:38 am I'm read up through Tonight She Comes, if you want to discuss.
Yeah! I like doing in sets of 3 chapters because we can dive into them. If you want, make a post! I'm eager to discuss!

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm working so don't really have time for a large post. I can see why you read ahead though. It hits a point and you can't stop. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Spoilers for:

Union of the Snake
Like a Prayer
Beds Are Burning

Union

This chapter was aggravating. Aggravating, mainly because there was a lot of meaningless BS here. Sure, she goes to the office getting kicked out and her parents do the parent thing, cool. But we also discover that her parents know Major and have a history with him. I was expecting this to go some place. But no. And that seems to be a common theme of things going on here. I don't know if the author was purposely putting in meaningless red herrings, or if he was spitballing the whole thing and was building in little offramps that he could use later on in the story. Either way, it was aggravating to read useless exposition.

Except for the horrible thing that happened to Glee. I thought for sure she was going to die. While I don't have anything against her, I think it would've been more realistic if she had stepped off the tower.

'nuff said!

Prayer

Another interesting chapter, but it also kind of felt like filler. But necessary filler. I like the exorcist. I don't think he ate all those corndogs though. 6? Right!

Beds Are Burning

Loved this chapter. We get to learn about it from Glee and Margaret and what they've been going through. The tapeworms were disgusting! And I was mad at myself for falling into the Mean Girls trap with the shakes, because once they mentioned the eggs, I know I'd already heard of that. I should've guessed it!! Ah well.

But over all, disgusting and awesome chapter. Except that I was really hoping Riley's appearance for the second time would go somewhere. But like I mentioned above, it was just one more detail that didn't.

A lot of criticisms here, but I'm still enjoying it. It's just easier at this point to say what's driving me crazy in it though. The story is really moving along.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

If you guys want to finish this off, I'm cool with that!

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Spoilers for:
Union of the Snake
Like a Prayer
Beds Are Burning

Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:12 am
Union

This chapter was aggravating. Aggravating, mainly because there was a lot of meaningless BS here. Sure, she goes to the office getting kicked out and her parents do the parent thing, cool. But we also discover that her parents know Major and have a history with him. I was expecting this to go some place. But no. And that seems to be a common theme of things going on here. I don't know if the author was purposely putting in meaningless red herrings, or if he was spitballing the whole thing and was building in little offramps that he could use later on in the story. Either way, it was aggravating to read useless exposition.
See, I was the exact opposite of this because Abby's mom in this situation was textbook my mom. My mom has literally had these types of arguments regarding me and has said similar shit. (And in turn yelled at me for putting her in that spot.)

It was a glorious flashback to some good times. :lol:
Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:12 am Except for the horrible thing that happened to Glee. I thought for sure she was going to die. While I don't have anything against her, I think it would've been more realistic if she had stepped off the tower.
This is one of those things I mentioned where I was SO SURE one thing would happen, but Hendrix went another way with it and it was okay and I didn't feel cheated.

Even though Glee pissed me off, I'm glad she didn't jump. :(
Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:12 am Prayer

Another interesting chapter, but it also kind of felt like filler. But necessary filler. I like the exorcist. I don't think he ate all those corndogs though. 6? Right!
I had no problem believing this. You clearly underestimate God's Warriors. :mad:
Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:12 am Beds Are Burning

Loved this chapter. We get to learn about it from Glee and Margaret and what they've been going through. The tapeworms were disgusting! And I was mad at myself for falling into the Mean Girls trap with the shakes, because once they mentioned the eggs, I know I'd already heard of that. I should've guessed it!! Ah well.

But over all, disgusting and awesome chapter. Except that I was really hoping Riley's appearance for the second time would go somewhere. But like I mentioned above, it was just one more detail that didn't.

A lot of criticisms here, but I'm still enjoying it. It's just easier at this point to say what's driving me crazy in it though. The story is really moving along.
THAT TAPEWORM WAS THE BEST!!!

Especially when they told how many there were and how big it was.

I still don't feel sorry for Margaret. Her whole family is filled with shallow assholes. How ghetto is that house they are living in??? And her brother eating peanutbutter with his fingers while perusing a Hustler? What in the fucking fuck!

Shiki, post the ad for the tapeworm!! :lol:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Spoilers for:
Union of the Snake
Like a Prayer
Beds Are Burning

Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:12 am This chapter was aggravating. ... <snip>.... I don't know if the author was purposely putting in meaningless red herrings, or if he was spitballing the whole thing and was building in little offramps that he could use later on in the story.
Right? I thought this too. I think he was setting up for possible reroutings in the storytelling. I am kind of glad that (so far atleast) the parents aren't there. It would have been too Nightmare on Elm Street. Of course it would have worked for the nostalgia of the book.
And I was mad at myself for falling into the Mean Girls trap with the shakes, because once they mentioned the eggs, I know I'd already heard of that. I should've guessed it!! Ah well.
I was mad at you too. But that is only because I was passed this part already when you brought it up and I wanted so bad to tell you. :umm:
I honestly wish he wouldn't have introduced him. Completely unnecessary (so far).
Letterboxd

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:05 pm Shiki, post the ad for the tapeworm!! :lol:
Yes.
Spoiler:
Letterboxd

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:44 pm If you guys want to finish this off, I'm cool with that!
I am on the last chapter. So I will be done tongiht. I will hold off talking about it until you guys are done too.
Letterboxd