Doctor Sleep trailer

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Doctor Sleep trailer

Post by Neon Maniac »

And that is not the Overlook hotel. :lol:
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, this is a goofy movie. The meter has swung over to Shiki and I think that's where it's going to stay. The Overlook was really the final nail in that coffin. I mean seriously... you're going to tell me that Timberline Lodge wouldn't let them pay to do a proper exterior shot? And I think everyone in Oregon that's seen it has probably cringed. The front of Timberline Lodge is a local news shot that every single station in Oregon uses. So even if you've never been there, it's something you've seen a million times, especially at night, in the snow :lol:

And I know none of you will appreciate that. :roll:

So I kind of like the idea that he has to return there to leverage the power of the Overlook to defeat her. That's an interesting concept, I guess. Kind of like how everybody in It had to return to It to defeat it. Or the 142 other stories he's done with that same idea or a variation of it.

And so Rose and Crow Daddy ( :lol: ) are ancient and have been hunting down kids for centuries to take their vapor. So, um, if Danny was so powerful, why didn't they sense him when he was a kid? Especially if he move to Florida and stayed in one place. All of this is so believable. And JFC she just said the same damn thing that I typed. Holy fucking shit magick is real. Stevie Nicks is real and she's reading my mind.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

My Gene Shalit review: This Doctor made me go to sleep.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am Yeah, this is a goofy movie. The meter has swung over to Shiki and I think that's where it's going to stay.
:yay: :yay: :yay:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:48 pm
Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am Yeah, this is a goofy movie. The meter has swung over to Shiki and I think that's where it's going to stay.
:yay: :yay: :yay:
I notice AR still hasn't posted anything. He's probably hiding in his basement bunker, afraid to talk about how great this movie is. How it's the best movie. Go ahead and build a 4th fence, AR. We know what you're doing.

:hitler: :hitler: :hitler:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

The thing that got me about all of this is...

It didn't have to be Danny Torrance. This didn't have to be about the Shinnin'. He wanted to use the Overlook, okay fine that does make it about all that. But just don't do that. This could've been a good standalone story with different characters about the vampire people breathing steam and a little witch girl and her friend having to take them down. But no, let's make this the sequel to the book nobody wanted.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:56 pm The thing that got me about all of this is...

It didn't have to be Danny Torrance. This didn't have to be about the Shinnin'. He wanted to use the Overlook, okay fine that does make it about all that. But just don't do that. This could've been a good standalone story with different characters about the vampire people breathing steam and a little witch girl and her friend having to take them down. But no, let's make this the sequel to the book nobody wanted.
100% agreed. Honestly, sounds like maybe he smashed two ideas together.

I had read somewhere that King's inspiration for this all started with an article about a cat that predicted people dying in a hospice and would go into their rooms. He wanted to bring that into a story and thought Danny would be also doing something like that (whatever :roll: .) I don' t know how the Doctor Sleep book ends, but this seems like King's attempt at trying to right the wrong of not having The Shining film end the way he wanted it to end with the place blowing up.

Going by what AR says earlier in this thread, when he had no fear of posting, he said that NOS4R2 is in the same universe as this, so I am thinking there was this psychic vampire element that he thought would be cool to bring in and what better food source would there be but to drain the shining kids. It just feels so slapped together. Add on top of this Flanagan's attempts at combing the film and book universes and adding his own shit into it it's just a mess.

Yes, this could have been a better story without the Shining elements. Just psychic vampires that detect there are special kids out there and decide to feed on them. Of course, they would also need to lose the stupid names as well.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:11 pm 100% agreed. Honestly, sounds like maybe he smashed two ideas together.

I had read somewhere that King's inspiration for this all started with an article about a cat that predicted people dying in a hospice and would go into their rooms. He wanted to bring that into a story and thought Danny would be also doing something like that (whatever :roll: .) I don' t know how the Doctor Sleep book ends, but this seems like King's attempt at trying to right the wrong of not having The Shining film end the way he wanted it to end with the place blowing up.

Going by what AR says earlier in this thread, when he had no fear of posting, he said that NOS4R2 is in the same universe as this, so I am thinking there was this psychic vampire element that he thought would be cool to bring in and what better food source would there be but to drain the shining kids. It just feels so slapped together. Add on top of this Flanagan's attempts at combing the film and book universes and adding his own shit into it it's just a mess.

Yes, this could have been a better story without the Shining elements. Just psychic vampires that detect there are special kids out there and decide to feed on them. Of course, they would also need to lose the stupid names as well.
I believe all of that. It's too bad AR is too scared to show his face in this thread again, because I'd be interested in what he thought about that. But whatever. I guess we have to live in the world we're given, not the one we want.

I would say let him keep the names, he can at least have that. Oh, and not to put too fine a point on it, but Abra checks King's boxes of both magical girl kid and magical negro.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

You know what? I bet AR's mad because he thinks Stevie Nicks and Crow Daddy are cool.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Oh man, he probably bought a hat just like Crow Daddy's. All psychic vampires have to have cool hats. That's why he is so into Colin Robinson from What We Do in the Shadows. It's all coming together now.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Hmmm... I think you may be on to something. I know that he has bought some hats lately and you make a really good point. He can be called Crow Daddy if he wants. Just because we don't like it doesn't mean anything. He's probably surrounded himself with a bunch of gypsies with their trailers and has some fancy hat name.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

He's probably petitioning that sid and marty kroft hat company to make exclusive crow daddy patched trucker hats, but what is holding it up is his insistence that he be the hat model for them. :shake:

We still love you, AR. Please come back to us.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:24 pm He's probably petitioning that sid and marty kroft hat company to make exclusive crow daddy patched trucker hats, but what is holding it up is his insistence that he be the hat model for them. :shake:

We still love you, AR. Please come back to us.
All of this makes perfect sense..

Yeah, he's got to be holding out for them to give him his hat name too. Because I bet you just can't give yourself a hat name, I'm betting it has to be earned. I bet he's been emailing them like crazy, saying, "Hey, I've bought about 30 hats from you. You need to give me a hat name". And they have no idea what he's talking about so they just ignore him.

:AR: Your hat name is Fred Durst.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I wish I could be AR reading this thread for the first time. It is going to be such a treat for him.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I would too. He'll never read it though. He's hiding in his TrumpBunker behind 3 row of fences because we don't agree with him when he said that Doctor Sleep was the single most important film he's ever seen in his life, and that no film could ever hope to top it, and most importantly, top the feeling it gives him when he watches it.

:(