Watchmen

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Watchmen

Post by Neon Maniac »

Has anyone watched this series on HBO Max? I've got HBO Max for a bit and am rewatching it again.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Re: Watchmen

Post by Alien Redrum »

I want to because I want to see the episode that made everyone know about the Tulsa race massacre.

It's just working myself up to it because I wasn't really a fan of the comic.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Its never grabbed me. I liked the comic back in the day. Thought the movie was ok. The TV show looks interesting enough, but not enough to make me watch it yet. Probably eventually.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:31 pm I want to because I want to see the episode that made everyone know about the Tulsa race massacre.

It's just working myself up to it because I wasn't really a fan of the comic.
You realize this isn't from a comic though, right? Saying you're not watching this because you weren't a fan of the comic is like saying you're staying away from Star Wars because you didn't like Star Trek: The Next Generation. And that analogy is closer than saying what you're saying. And the ENTIRE SERIES is about the Tulsa race massacre. The whole goddamned thing. Not an "episode". It's featured in ALL THE EPISODES. Because that's what the SERIES IS ABOUT.

The comic and the movie take place in like 1985. This takes place in 2019. Do you think people who were alive in 1985 would even be alive in 2019? Okay, so we were and people are. But that's immaterial. :lol:

It actually has nothing to do with the comic, and while I know this won't help, it's a series sequel to the movie, not the comic. Yes, the comic and the movie are different. And really what that means is that it takes place in the universe of that movie. It takes place in Tulsa, and the riots are essentially the catalyst for everything, and you see it in every episode.

This is actually a decent example of why I tell you not to listen to your internet hipsters. I think you'd like this series. I'm pretty sure you'd love the cast. Brenda from 227 is the star. Her husband's name is Calvin and I can't believe that's a coincidence. :lol: And I know you've been a Jean Smart fan since Designing Women.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

I actually had no idea the entire series was about Tulsa. I thought it was just one episode. :lol:

I have no idea what you're talking about as far as listening to internet hipsters. I paid no attention to this series until people brought up Tulsa because of it. I literally had no interest in it one way or another until I heard that, so I didn't pay any mind to what was being said.

I didn't realize it had nothing to do with the comic. That helps. Not much, but still. :lol:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:10 pm
I have no idea what you're talking about as far as listening to internet hipsters
Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:10 pm I paid no attention to this series until people brought up Tulsa because of it.
You just answered your own question, Chachi. :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

k

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:26 pm Its never grabbed me. I liked the comic back in the day. Thought the movie was ok. The TV show looks interesting enough, but not enough to make me watch it yet. Probably eventually.
I think you'd like this too. Like I've said, it doesn't have much in common with the comic or movie aside from history and sharing the alternative history. And like a lot of things, it has a lot of layers that people miss.

I originally watched it a year ago, trying to find something that wasn't about the riots occurring daily here, the pandemic, the political divisiveness happening, etc. I didn't know what this was about (because I don't listen to internet hipsters) and went in blind, only knowing it took place in the modern day world of the comic/movie.

It opens immediately with the Tulsa riots and when it switches to modern day, it's about hillbilly Q Anon people :lol:

That's actually what hooked me into this. If you take the political commentary about Reagan republicans from the comic/movie, it shows a natural progression to the political environment of the series. And while the series was written and made before the pandemic, it's satire on those same people was extremely accurate in March of 2020. Not dropping spoilers, but the hillbillies have essentially become a cult of Nixon worshipers.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:24 pmk
That only works with strangers.

Gramps
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by Gramps »

I don’t have much love for most television, but this kept my attention for the entire run. I think you cats would dig it.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I will take Gramps' word on this.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:45 pm
shiki-jitsu wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:26 pm Its never grabbed me. I liked the comic back in the day. Thought the movie was ok. The TV show looks interesting enough, but not enough to make me watch it yet. Probably eventually.
I think you'd like this too. Like I've said, it doesn't have much in common with the comic or movie aside from history and sharing the alternative history. And like a lot of things, it has a lot of layers that people miss.
Yeah, I knew that its in the future (now) and in the same universe as the original comic but nothing to do with it (other than the events of the comic and characters effects in the future).

Yeah, I don't know if I need more on the nose shit about these morons. :lol:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:02 pm I will take Gramps' word on this.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:06 pm
Yeah, I knew that its in the future (now) and in the same universe as the original comic but nothing to do with it (other than the events of the comic and characters effects in the future).

Yeah, I don't know if I need more on the nose shit about these morons. :lol:
:lol:

Well, thankfully it's just based on characters by, and not actually written by Alan Moore. :lol:

And there are enormous ties going back to the movie. The main one being Jean Smart is Laurie Jupiter/Silk Spectre from the movie. And Adrian Veidt/Ozymandius is in it too. It's just not a sequel. Although, now I do wonder if it really is a direct sequel. In some ways I think it probably is.

This is very much an HBO series, so regardless of the theme, it's character driven.