New York Ninja

If it's not horror, this is the place!
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

New York Ninja

Post by Neon Maniac »

I watched this last night and I highly recommend it. If you're not familiar with this, the Wiki article explains it best:

New York Ninja is a 2021 American action film written, directed by and starring John Liu. Although shot in 1984, the film did not see a completed edit or release until 2021, when its footage was discovered and restored by film preservation and home video distributor Vinegar Syndrome.[3][4]

New York Ninja was filmed in New York City, and was initially shelved after its original distribution company went bankrupt. The abandoned footage was eventually acquired by Vinegar Syndrome, who, despite not having access to any audio, storyboards, or scripts for the film, reconstructed it using a new director, Kurtis M. Spieler, and dubbed dialogue recorded by such actors as Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Michael Berryman, Cynthia Rothrock, Linnea Quigley, Vince Murdocco, Matt Mitler, Leon Isaac Kennedy, and Ginger Lynn.

tl;dr: They found a film with no script and no audio, and wrote a script and dubbed the voices of modern actors based on the action of the movie.

While there are some things that will strike you as funny, this wasn't mean to be comedic. They did a really good job with the dub and creating a story from what was shot. The movie itself is all over the place, never really figuring out what type of movie it wants to be.

At its heart it's very much an 80's gangs have taken over and a ninja comes along to clean up the streets movie, but being written in 2020, it's kind if juxtaposed against modern ideology on that kind of thing. It's definitely worth a watch.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Re: New York Ninja

Post by Alien Redrum »

OMG. This looks like a perfect Friday Fun movie. :yay:

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

OMG HE LEAVES DOORS JUST LIKE I DO!

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:28 pm OMG. This looks like a perfect Friday Fun movie. :yay:
You'll totally like this movie. This is right up your alley. The other video you posted is a total spoiler alert, BTW. I think there are some scenes missing from this too, but I think it doesn't really matter, especially if you've seen an 80's urban karate movie :lol:

And while I call this a karate movie, it's not. It's really a backflip and cartwheels movie.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:44 pm such actors as Don "The Dragon" Wilson
Or Don "Crap Actor" Wilson, as he was known to viewers of films he actually starred in.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

DJBenz wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:48 am
Neon Maniac wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:44 pm such actors as Don "The Dragon" Wilson
Or Don "Crap Actor" Wilson, as he was known to viewers of films he actually starred in.
He's only doing voice work here, so it's not too bad :lol: