2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Post Reply
User avatar
Alien Redrum
The Piers Morgan of Horror DNA
The Piers Morgan of Horror DNA
Thanks:
Posts: 10724
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Somewhere trying to cancel you.
Contact:

2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Alien Redrum »

Here's where we discuss what we watched to keep the other thread clean!
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

Letterboxd - Horror DNA 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge

User avatar
DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks:
Posts: 2456
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:30 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by DJBenz »

I'm off to Grimmfest on 6th October, so I'll have a flurry of activity for four days then nothing for the rest of the month. :yay:
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

User avatar
Alien Redrum
The Piers Morgan of Horror DNA
The Piers Morgan of Horror DNA
Thanks:
Posts: 10724
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Somewhere trying to cancel you.
Contact:

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

Letterboxd - Horror DNA 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Thanks:
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Out making America great again

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm probably going to win again this year
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Thanks:
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Out making America great again

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac »

I watched My Best Friend's Exorcism. It was okay. I like the guy who plays the weight lifter. He was Bash Howard on GLOW if you watched that, and he's also on the reboot How I Met Your Father.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Thanks:
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Out making America great again

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac »

It drives me crazy that nobody gets that the mayor of Salem in Hubie Halloween is dressed in the same suit as the mayor from Jaws; and then gets into an argument with the cop about closing down the Halloween celebration because Salem gets 89% of its tourist dollars on Halloween night. :lol:

People laugh at me for liking Hubie Halloween, but if people actually watched it, they might notice that it's filled with visual and verbal cues to about 3 dozen horror movies. I always find something new when I watch it.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

User avatar
shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore
Thanks:
Posts: 4180
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Watched The Night House (2020) and was really disappointed with it. I had some high hopes for it based on some of the things I had heard about it and on the trailers I had seen. Honestly, it started out ok, then just kind swooped and swerved around a bit and I don't think it really knew what it wanted to be as a movie. It sets up a lot of different ideas of where it could go or what it is about (some of which is really promising and could have been really interesting) and then just kind of fails on all of them. Odd that this gets the praise it gets. Some nice visuals, and some interesting scenes that literally mean nothing.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

User avatar
Alien Redrum
The Piers Morgan of Horror DNA
The Piers Morgan of Horror DNA
Thanks:
Posts: 10724
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Somewhere trying to cancel you.
Contact:

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Alien Redrum »

Should the Dahmer show count as horror? I just binged about the entire series over the past two days, but I know it's on the line.
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

Letterboxd - Horror DNA 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge

User avatar
Alien Redrum
The Piers Morgan of Horror DNA
The Piers Morgan of Horror DNA
Thanks:
Posts: 10724
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Somewhere trying to cancel you.
Contact:

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:12 pm It drives me crazy that nobody gets that the mayor of Salem in Hubie Halloween is dressed in the same suit as the mayor from Jaws; and then gets into an argument with the cop about closing down the Halloween celebration because Salem gets 89% of its tourist dollars on Halloween night. :lol:

People laugh at me for liking Hubie Halloween, but if people actually watched it, they might notice that it's filled with visual and verbal cues to about 3 dozen horror movies. I always find something new when I watch it.
:lol:

I never heard of this but now I need to watch it. :lol:
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

Letterboxd - Horror DNA 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Thanks:
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Out making America great again

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:45 am
Neon Maniac wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:12 pm It drives me crazy that nobody gets that the mayor of Salem in Hubie Halloween is dressed in the same suit as the mayor from Jaws; and then gets into an argument with the cop about closing down the Halloween celebration because Salem gets 89% of its tourist dollars on Halloween night. :lol:

People laugh at me for liking Hubie Halloween, but if people actually watched it, they might notice that it's filled with visual and verbal cues to about 3 dozen horror movies. I always find something new when I watch it.
:lol:

I never heard of this but now I need to watch it. :lol:
I bet you will absolutely hate it.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Thanks:
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Out making America great again

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:44 am Should the Dahmer show count as horror? I just binged about the entire series over the past two days, but I know it's on the line.
personally I don't think it is, I think it's a biopic. But Netflix calls it horror, and per the rules of the challenge if you think it's horror then it is. So, you're the only one to judge.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

User avatar
DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks:
Posts: 2456
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:30 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by DJBenz »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:20 am I watched My Best Friend's Exorcism. It was okay. I like the guy who plays the weight lifter. He was Bash Howard on GLOW if you watched that, and he's also on the reboot How I Met Your Father.
Yeah I watched this last night, I thought it was poor.

I also watched I Came By on Netlfix, which is down as a thriller everywhere but hits exactly the same beats and has a very similar story to lots of horror movies where
Spoiler:
the protagonist finds something unsavoury in the antagonist's basement.
So I'm claiming it.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Thanks:
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Out making America great again

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac »

DJBenz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:55 pm
Neon Maniac wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:20 am I watched My Best Friend's Exorcism. It was okay. I like the guy who plays the weight lifter. He was Bash Howard on GLOW if you watched that, and he's also on the reboot How I Met Your Father.
Yeah I watched this last night, I thought it was poor.
If you'd read the book with us, you may have a slightly higher opinion of it, as it was a decent adaptation. But yeah, not going to say you're wrong at all. On its own, I'd say it was fairly uneven.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

User avatar
DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks:
Posts: 2456
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:30 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by DJBenz »

Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:14 pm If you'd read the book with us, you may have a slightly higher opinion of it, as it was a decent adaptation. But yeah, not going to say you're wrong at all. On its own, I'd say it was fairly uneven.
I was reading a thread on Reddit about it and it seemed like most people who were big fans of the book thought it was poor too. The relationship between Abby & Gretchen isn't nearly strong enough and the movie races through a lot of the key developments. Conversely, I thought the pacing of the first hour was very slow and it didn't really get going until the exorcism started.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

User avatar
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Thanks:
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am
Anti-Spam Question: No
Location: Out making America great again

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Maniac »

I can't argue with any of that. I haven't read ARs review of it, but i bet he loved it. I agree that there wasn't much characterization done.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Post Reply