Ghostbusters

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Anti-Spam Question: No

Ghostbusters

Post by Rotting Corpse »

I guess it's debatable if these are straight-up Horror but I always considered them Horror-Comedies in the same vein of movies like Return Of The Living Dead and the Evil Dead sequels, so I think it fits. The mods can move this to the General Movies forum if it's better fit for there.

Long-time fan of both movies (including the second which I think is sorely underrated and gets a lot of unfair scorn) and also love the cartoon series and the 2009 video game which essentially is the third movie in game form. Any other fans here? Both movies are among my all-time favorites and I've seen them both endlessly, so rewatchable and entertaining. They're the quintessential Horror-Comedies with just as many laughs as scares and both are infinitely quotable and have so many great moments. The Terror Dogs, library ghost, Stay Puft, Vigo, the river of slime, the Scoleri Brothers, the Statue Of Liberty, etc. both movies are so awesome.

Not seen the reboot from last year and am in no rush to, I just can't work up the interest for it. Looked awful from the trailers and as a lifelong fan actually embarrassing. I might give it a whirl someday but right now I'm just not into it.

New Wave Shamrock
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Ghostbusters

Post by New Wave Shamrock »

I guess I'm the dork who classifies Hollywood's horror comedies / dark supernatural comic adventure-type movies like Little Shop of Horrors, Beetlejuice, The Witches (1990), Scrooged, Howard the Duck, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Firestarter, Jumanji, Dick Tracy, Tank Girl, Darkman, Casper, etc., as the original "Epic Movie"s rather than as straight-up horror films. Movies that could double as creature features or that just have monsters or outright scenes of horror in them. (Why is everyone in Dick Tracy deformed, mutated or look like Pizza the Hut from Spaceballs? Does it take place in Tromaville? God help me, WHY?)

The line in the sand pretty much ends with Spielberg productions like Poltergeist and Gremlins. Those would be outright horror films. (Though, ironically, I'm not comfortable calling the Jaws films or The Twilight Zone movie horror films.)

As for Ghostbusters, I like everything I've seen in its universe. Especially Ghostbusters 2, which is a gem. Lovely sequel. How could any self-respecting fan not love it? Though I have not rewatched the animated series since I was a kid. And, now that I'm remembering, there were at least 3 different cartoons before the year 2000: one that featured the characters from the film and one that featured a bunch of new characters as well as a giant ape, a little pink bat, a car that is alive and blinks, and a regular stable of ghost character villains with names like in the He-Man / She-Ra series.

The 2016 remake / reboot was fun. I don't care if anyone disagrees.
:badger:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

New Wave Shamrock wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:25 pm
one that featured a bunch of new characters as well as a giant ape, a little pink bat, a car that is alive and blinks, and a regular stable of ghost character villains with names like in the He-Man / She-Ra series.

The 2016 remake / reboot was fun. I don't care if anyone disagrees.
That one has nothing to do with the Ghostbusters movies, and predates them by about a decade. The Ghostbusters used to be a live action show from the 70's. That cartoon with the ape and bat and all that is a 'reboot' of the live action show. This is why the actual cartoon tied to the Ghostbusters movies had to be called The Real Ghostbusters.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/P4-Io8xMHL4[/youtube]

I was also a fan of the 2016 remake.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

New Wave Shamrock
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by New Wave Shamrock »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:57 pmThat one has nothing to do with the Ghostbusters movies, and predates them by about a decade. The Ghostbusters used to be a live action show from the 70's. That cartoon with the ape and bat and all that is a 'reboot' of the live action show. This is why the actual cartoon tied to the Ghostbusters movies had to be called The Real Ghostbusters.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/P4-Io8xMHL4[/youtube]

I was also a fan of the 2016 remake.
You know: I've actually seen that clip before but I didn't pay attention to it. It has been awhile since I watched that other animated Ghostbusters show as well, but I did catch a few episodes when it was on Netflix.

I hate to say it, because I don't actually resent the show based on the 1984 film in any way, but: the nerve of calling your series The Real Ghostbusters when that other series existed so many years before! That's an out and out lie.
:badger:

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

James is a HUGE fan of Ghostbusters, but he's too cool for forums.

He also liked the reboot; I just edited a piece he wrote about it that will go live soon and I'll post here.

I liked the first movie, I can't remember the second, and never watched the cartoons. So I should leave because I'm clearly not the fan you cats are. :lol:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Rotting Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rotting Corpse »

The sequel would definitely be worth re-visiting again for the first time in so long if you haven't seen it for a long time. It definitely doesn't deserve the hate it sometimes gets. People seem to have softened on it somewhat in more recent times, which is good. Both of the original two were an enormous part of my childhood along with the animated series.

Lately I've been developing a curiousity to see the reboot, which I'll probably give a whirl from my library.

Mistress0fTheDamned
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by Mistress0fTheDamned »

Ghostbusters is awesome with the original actors not the one with the females.
Stare at the dark too long and you will eventually see
WHAT ISN’T THERE.

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.