Train To Busan

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Yojimbo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Train To Busan

Post by Yojimbo »

While I have not been a huge fan of zombie films since the 80s, I will concede there have been a handful of decent Z-flicks made over the past few years.

When I saw the trailer for TRAIN TO BUSAN, I had to admit that my curiosity took a bite and I was reeled in a bit. I also figured that we might get a sprinkle of Asian spice added to the genre.

Before I had the opportunity to watch it, I read some of the reviews and the general consensus was pretty much a big "thumbs-up" across the board.

However, after watching it, I was a little disappointed. Not that it was a total loss for me. I was willing to sit through the whole thing, as there was enough to the film to keep my inteterest. Unfortunately, in the end, I only felt that I had seen a well polished American zombie film. For those who enjoy the genre, I am sure they will find it far more stimulating than I did.

I admit, I wasn't expecting anything real profound and the trailer offered a foretaste of the quality of the film (this is quality looking film) but I didn't get the toe buckling tension in the chase scenes or that somber Asian horror film ambience I was expecting. These are things I feel are so essential to a great Korean horror and zombie film. Let's face it, the Asians do have a knack for building mood and tension. I just didn't find it here and with a zombie film, you NEED to find it.

I am writing far more than I intended to here because I really wanted to like it. Instead, I thought it was better than average but a little cliche' and flat. It's worth a watch but I can't offer any enthusiasm saying so.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Train To Busan

Post by Neon Maniac »

I've seen that it's on Netflix, but I haven't actually watched it yet. It looked semi-interesting, but there are so many bad zombie movies out there now that I'm aways hesitant to watch one now.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Yojimbo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Yojimbo »

Well, it is good for what it is but nothing exceptional. For me and zombies, at this point, I have to have exceptional.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, zombies were played out a decade ago, at least. 90% are the same movie and 8% all try a 'new twist' that's actually not new, just new to the ignorant. I like the TV shows Z Nation and Fear the Walking Dead, but not because of zombies.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

I think it succeeded in being a zombie movie that's genuinely entertaining, something that few in the genre manage to do these days.

I did think the sequence where they had to cross the carriage above the zombies had some of the toe-buckling tension you mentioned.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Mistress0fTheDamned
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by Mistress0fTheDamned »

It was okay,I have seen better zombie movies
Stare at the dark too long and you will eventually see
WHAT ISN’T THERE.

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.