Cube (1997)

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Mistress0fTheDamned
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.
Anti-Spam Question: No

Cube (1997)

Post by Mistress0fTheDamned »

Six different people, each from a very different walk of life, awaken to find themselves inside a giant cube with thousands of possible rooms. Each has a skill that becomes clear when they must band together to get out: a cop, a math whiz, a building designer, a doctor, an escape master, and a disabled man. Each plays a part in their thrilling quest to find answers as to why they've been imprisoned.
Stare at the dark too long and you will eventually see
WHAT ISN’T THERE.

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

Mistress0fTheDamned
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Re: Cube (1997)

Director Vincenzo Natali deleted a final moment from the film in which it's shown what is outside the cube. He said when he was paring the film down in the editing room it was the first thing he removed.
WHAT ISN’T THERE.

Mistress0fTheDamned
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

The set contained just one cube, changed to different colours by means of gel panels. Since it was a time-consuming process to change from one to another, the film was not shot in sequence, rather colour-by-colour. The red gels were the first to be installed, meaning all scenes in red rooms were shot first. As it happens, red rooms contain the most dialog-heavy scenes in the film, including Worth's big "there is no conspiracy" speech to Holloway. The film had a modest budget and a tight schedule, and David Hewlett recalled being very apprehensive at shooting scenes that contained pages of pure dialog on his part very early in the shoot. He also felt that Worth's line "Well I feel better" after his rant to Holloway rang immensely true on a personal level, as the remainder of the shoot was much less dependent on his memorisation.
WHAT ISN’T THERE.

Mistress0fTheDamned
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

To show their support for the Toronto film industry, the special effects company C.O.R.E. did the digital effects for free.
WHAT ISN’T THERE.

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

Loved the first one, and I dug Sphere (another of the director's films) as well. Need to watch the remake.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I liked the first one. Thought it was really good and an original idea. I think the follow ups weren't all that great. And I was really mad that Cube Zero wasn't a sphere. Because I mean, it's literally called Cube ZERO. As in round. :shake:
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously