Dylan Dog - the movie...and this time it's legit

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Mairosu
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Dylan Dog - the movie...and this time it's legit

Post by Mairosu »

Dylan Dog is a character you may not be very familiar with, but that’s likely to change soon. Created in 1986 by Italian cartoonist Tiziano Sclavi, Dog is a perennially bankrupt London private eye who handles cases of a more horrific nature, finding himself smack dab in the middle of the world of the undead. Dog is deeply idiosyncratic, suffers from numerous phobias, is a recovering alcoholic, and lives with a sidekick who looks and behaves exactly like Groucho Marx.

Published in Italy by Sergio Bonelli Editore, the sometimes comedic, often anti-establishment and usually surreal “Dylan Dog” books are wildly successful all around the world, having been translated into 17 languages, including an English edition last published by Dark Horse Comics in 2002.

The character’s star is set to shine brighter as production begins this Summer on a live action feature film adaptation. Titled “Dead of Night,” the Dylan Dog movie is directed by Kevin Munroe (“TMNT”) and stars Brandon Routh (“Superman Returns”) in the leading role. Hyde Park and Platinum Studios are producing, with a release date to be announced in the coming months.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=16402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <-- full story, including an interview

Strangely, they're basing the movie off this episode :

....which is a re-imagining of Scorsese's "After Hours", in the first place. I wonder how will it end up.

Reading the interview, I guess it will go pear-shaped rather than good. Some worrying things :
What can you say about what's being brought over from the comics and what's not? Will the setting still be London? Will supporting characters like Groucho and Inspector Bloch be included?

It’s set in New York, probably the biggest difference from the source, but it doesn’t affect anything really. There will be characters included from the comic world, but in varying degrees. Dylan is the star, and he’s very much in tune with what fans know him as in the comic.
Fuck Dylan if he don't live at Craven Road and there is no Bloch...
The Groucho character is clearly inspired by Groucho Marx, whose estate wasn't too excited when it came time for the publication of the English language translations -- will this character appear in the film as was in the comics, or will he be changed to avoid those sort of legal disputes?

Yeah, I love that about the original comic. But he is going to be altered to fit this movie. Not sure if it was for legal reasons originally, but creatively, Dylan’s sidekick in our movie provides more than just comic relief. He has a great arc that’ll surprise a lot of folks out there, and really works well alongside Dylan’s storyline.
...or Groucho ! However, Groucho hardly appears in "After midnight".

Sorry if repost.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: Dylan Dog - the movie...and this time it's legit

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I've liked what I read of Dylan Dog (thank you Milos!) so I will definitely see this, but I don't have my hopes up after reading all that.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by Neon Maniac »

It will be interesting. I'm open minded, as my exposure to Dylan has only been what Milos shared with us. I was kind of annoyed by Groucho, so if he's gone I'll have no qualms there.

FWIW, Darkhorse just released Dylan Dog Case Files, a 680 page behemoth last month. Only 2 left at Amazon, I'm thinking I'll get it.

Edit: I just got it. 1 LEFT!
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

A paper book? What are you a communist?

505 FTW!
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote:A paper book? What are you a communist?

505 FTW!
It's not available as an ebook anywhere. :(

I looked. :lol:
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

dragonmanes
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by dragonmanes »

Im still looking forward to it, but I cant imagine it topping Dellamorte
Horror, gore, and more! Read my reviews at http://i-like-horror-movies.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;