Horror discussion #9 - Lord of Illusions (1995)

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.

Any Good?

Any Good?
No votes
Highly recommended
9%
Recommended
36%
Rent it
18%
Skip it
27%
Not seen it
9%

Total votes: 11

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Horror discussion #9 - Lord of Illusions (1995)

Post by Alien Redrum »

IMDB Synopsis:
During a routine case in L.A., NY private investigator Harry D'Amour (Scott Bakula) stumbles over members of a fanatic cult, who are waiting for the resurrection of their leader Nix (Daniel von Bargen). 13 years ago Nix was calmed down by his best trainee Swann (Kevin J. O'Connor). In the meantime Swann is advanced to a populary illusionist like David Copperfield and is married to the charming Dorothea ("Goldeneye"-Bond girl Famke Janssen). She hires D'Amour to protect Swann against the evil cult members. Short time later Swann is killed by one of his own tricks and the occurrences are turning over. It crackles between Dorothea and D'Amour.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Re: Horror discussion #9 - Lord of Illusions (1995)

Post by Alien Redrum »

I need to watch this again before voting, but I remember really, really enjoying it both times I watched it.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

damnationdoormat
More braaaaiiiiins!
More braaaaiiiiins!

Post by damnationdoormat »

Recommended, Bakula gives an underrated performance and there's a few memorable sequences, Harry's voodoo encounter and Swann's failed illusion to name two.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I like the character Bakula played from the books, but I didn't really like him how Bakula played him. So, the first time I watched it, I didn't like it that much. In repeated viewings though, I was able to put that behind me and enjoy the movie. I put Reccomend.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

zigzag
Staff Reviewer
Staff Reviewer

Post by zigzag »

I watched this again a few years ago, and it still held up.
Take a drink every time Scott Dracula takes his shirt off!

DarkCellar
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by DarkCellar »

zigzag wrote:I watched this again a few years ago, and it still held up.
Take a drink every time Scott Dracula takes his shirt off!
:lol:

I thought it was okay, but didn't really grab me. Of course that was in the theater, and I haven't seen it since. I'll probably give it another try at some point.

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

I've always thought I liked this one more than most. I really think it's atmospheric and genuinely creepy. The F/X are probably a little dated, but I went with highly recommended.
Retired reviewer

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by Atrium Pool »

Oooh...I forgot we were really able to vote with these things. I only vote if I really think the movie should be skipped. I couldn't recommend this movie. At all. Unlike Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness, I actually did several times get really plugged into Lord of Illusions. One of my problems with most fantasy / sci-fi movies (especially of the 90's and upward) are their over-the-top FX and big flashy... stuff sequences. That's what it feels like. I mean, it's one thing when it's a Disney movie- you know the point is going "wow." And it's entirely within an artificial world. But I'm not big on much human sci-fi. When I think of this movie now, I can't help but ask- didn't Barker see Videodrome? I think he must have. Is there a single moment or scene in Videodrome more agonizing (for any reason) than that trade-show presentation with the schmaltz-glitzy leotard-dancing / the horrendous 80's costumes? Yeah, I know this was the era of Xanadu and Stayin' Alive (so we can somehow wrap our heads around why Cronenberg did it) but... didn't those movies bomb? Why do we really want to see this big magic dance stage show? I don't. It's a waste of time and a way to pad an already 2-hour plus movie.

But Barker sure got the weird right in this movie! Aside from the equally painful and over-the-top beginning (which sucks), he created a good damn weird character. I don't even remember his name. And maybe it's a bad sign that I think most people only pay attention to how fearless he is at appearing to be gay as humanly possible. That that's what makes him compelling. Rather than being scary- which he isn't. Or funny- which he's not. But the scenes with Scott Bakula (who is usally pretty dang wooden) and Famke Janssen are interesting. Enough. She makes him do better work. Plus, all the stuff with them at the magic club in the other rooms, trying to figure out where to find out what they're looking for. This movie was always getting close to being okay or better than okay.