Horror Movie Discussion #21: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.

Any good?

Highly recommended
42%
Recommended
25%
Rent it
17%
Skip it
17%
Not seen it
No votes

Total votes: 12

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Horror Movie Discussion #21: The Texas Chain Saw Massacr

Post by Alien Redrum »

I understand you don't like Bay, we get that. But to say he's not awesome at what he does is pretty short sited.

You are letting your anger cloud the fact that he is, in fact, awesome.

NUMBERS DON'T LIE.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by Atrium Pool »

Alien Redrum wrote:I understand you don't like Bay, we get that. But to say he's not awesome at what he does is pretty short sited.
Double-edged sword. I would never moan over him making anyone happy. But not at the expense of horror history and dumbing down American cinema. Although, in fairness, I admit he sure didn't do it alone!

Alien Redrum wrote:You are letting your anger cloud the fact that he is, in fact, awesome.
And an overwhelming sense of utter doom. Not just anger.

Alien Redrum wrote:NUMBERS DON'T LIE.
You're right. And I don't own a Britney Spears CD yet but I hear she's grossed a lot on the charts. You think I should buy one ... ? I might like it.

walls
Wallsbot
Wallsbot

Post by walls »

1. Bay still rocks.
2. This topic is giving me a headache already.
3. The original TCM is still crap.
4. If you never listen to Britney Spears how can you make a decision on her musical greatness?

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by Atrium Pool »

walls wrote:2. This topic is giving me a headache already.
There's just something about someone saying things like:
walls wrote:1. Bay still rocks.
3. The original TCM is still crap.
that makes me not sorry about that.

Have one on me. :doh:

walls
Wallsbot
Wallsbot

Post by walls »

You dont like Bay to the point that you wish he would go away and never come back, and thats OK to me because its your opinion, so why is it not OK for me to say that I was bored to tears and not impressed with the original TCM and think the BAYMAKE is much superior?

I think that the original has a place in horror history, but I also think its one of the most overrated movies ever. Even though I didnt like it I still respect it. Thats where I differ from you, you dont like BAY so NO ONE ELSE should either. Right?

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

walls wrote:You dont like Bay to the point that you wish he would go away and never come back, and thats OK to me because its your opinion, so why is it not OK for me to say that I was bored to tears and not impressed with the original TCM and think the BAYMAKE is much superior?

I think that the original has a place in horror history, but I also think its one of the most overrated movies ever. Even though I didnt like it I still respect it. Thats where I differ from you, you dont like BAY so NO ONE ELSE should either. Right?
:up:

I can not like Argento movies, but I won't go as far to say he should never make movies (as lame as they are) because I realize his place in the genre, and can admit that his talent lies in a great shot.

I am at least realistic to know he's talented, even if he doesn't wow me.

The Britney Spears argument is moot. If her goal is to sell records, and she sells records, she's amazingly good at what she does. Whether you find her talented or not is irrelevant. You can't deny that she is good at something though, even if it's selling her sexuality.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by Atrium Pool »

Alien Redrum wrote:The Britney Spears argument is moot. If her goal is to sell records, and she sells records, she's amazingly good at what she does. Whether you find her talented or not is irrelevant. You can't deny that she is good at something though, even if it's selling her sexuality.
That makes her the same as Bay in my eyes. They're both cheap whores who make a lot of money. That's what I assumed you meant by "the numbers don't lie." Guess I just misinterpreted you.

walls wrote:You dont like Bay to the point that you wish he would go away and never come back, and thats OK to me because its your opinion, so why is it not OK for me to say that I was bored to tears and not impressed with the original TCM and think the BAYMAKE is much superior?
I didn't say it wasn't okay. I just feel like annoying you as much as you're annoying me.

walls wrote:Even though I didnt like it I still respect it.
Well, you sure aren't respecting me. Sorry if this is getting to you, I thought someone who makes as many jokes as you do would either walk away or have a better sense of humor about this. I'll stop when you do.

zigzag
Staff Reviewer
Staff Reviewer

Post by zigzag »

I like Gunnar Hansen...

Is this still a thread about TCM?
If not... then I'll say Gunnar Hansen is awesome in BRUTAL MASSACRE

I don't know about the Britney Spears... but I like Broccoli Spears.
Last edited by zigzag on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by Atrium Pool »

Atrium Pool wrote:I'll stop when you do.
Before anyone else replies, yes I know how childish that sounds.

walls
Wallsbot
Wallsbot

Post by walls »

walls wrote:Even though I didnt like it I still respect it.
Well, you sure aren't respecting me. Sorry if this is getting to you, I thought someone who makes as many jokes as you do would either walk away or have a better sense of humor about this. I'll stop when you do.[/quote]

Getting to me? Nope, nice try though as I am sure you are the type that loves to think he can annoy someone else.....on the internet none the less. :lol:

Pretty sure your the only one in thread WITHOUT a sense of humor, actually im more then pretty sure about that one.

Respect you? Why? Have you shown one speck of respect for anyone elses tastes yet?

All pretty much cut and dry to me............and........now I will walk away. :rotfl:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

zigzag wrote:I like Gunnar Hansen...

Is this still a thread about TCM?
If not... then I'll say Gunnar Hansen is awesome in BRUTAL MASSACRE

I don't know about the Britney Spears... but I like Broccoli Spears.
BROCCOLI SPEARS ARE TALENTLESS HACKS GO FUCK YOURSELF. :mad:

walls
Wallsbot
Wallsbot

Post by walls »

:thumbsup: :rotfl:

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

Atrium Pool wrote:
Spez wrote:Also, to get back to the topic at hand, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre
I'm all for that.

What's a horror film you find scary and not boring? And was made before 1999?

Erin Brockovich.

I actually found the realism depicted in the film showcasing the fact that a company can poison our waters with no repercussion more frightening than any movie where a killer wears a childish mask.

I'm sorry, but rubber masks and romps through the woods just don't frighten me. Every day horrors scare me, like tainted water supplies and terrorism. You know, real life things. But hey, if a guy dressed up in a 'kiss the chef' apron and wearing women's make up prancing around with a chainsaw over his head is the scariest thing you've ever seen, I guess I have a little envy for you.

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by Atrium Pool »

Spez wrote:
Atrium Pool wrote:What's a horror film you find scary and not boring? And was made before 1999?
Erin Brockovich.

I actually found the realism depicted in the film showcasing the fact that a company can poison our waters with no repercussion more frightening than any movie where a killer wears a childish mask.
And I might have too. Had that film been atmosphere-driven or had any eye for style. But they were making a drama, as I'm guessing you know and that this is some fairly obvious joke.

Spez wrote:I'm sorry, but rubber masks and romps through the woods just don't frighten me. Every day horrors scare me, like tainted water supplies and terrorism. You know, real life things. But hey, if a guy dressed up in a 'kiss the chef' apron and wearing women's make up prancing around with a chainsaw over his head is the scariest thing you've ever seen, I guess I have a little envy for you.
I never said that movie was scary. But unlike this new bullshit ultra-realism trend in horror that actually tries to take the genre back to 1990's thrillers and the grindhouse style of 70's and early 80's exploitation- it holds my attention. Because it respects the artform of horror. Almost nothing in any movie scares me or has ever scared me. I've known this nearly all my movie-watching life. So I don't tell other people what's scary. It's up to them and, frankly I don't care. Usually when you know what current threats people say these new movies are tackling, it just reeks of paranoia and ignorance. At least when you consider that the victims are portrayed as people who look a lot like the directors, producers, and studios think their target demographic look like.

I'm talking artistic ambitions which are much easier for everyone to pick up on. And the appreciation of that lasts longer than a fondness for any one movie that scared you. Because that can wear off. Not to mention people just go through those things, these 2-a-penny disposable survival horror and torture flicks, like they're tissues. Just because they sound cool on their home theater systems and have lots of bass. Talk about boring!

walls wrote:Getting to me? Nope
Then don't complain about what I said before. Because if you don't care what I say as you're claiming now, you won't.

walls wrote:Pretty sure your the only one in thread WITHOUT a sense of humor
Well, some things aren't funny. A lot of people think good horror comes with multi-million dollar budgets and by hiring music-video hotshot morons like Marcus Nispel. People with no artistic ambitions and no vision. That's not funny. It's deeply disturbing. Because it's that mindset that now leans toward praising new "horror" titles because they resemble action films. A director can't just make it faster and try to make it look dirtier and more realistic. Horror takes more work than that. Viewers bring their own sense of realism into a movie, we don't all need to be forcefed. Which is the reason serious film critics consider the original film a classic and we all know the remake was nothing more than an action film in wannabe-gritty horror disguise. But again, if that remake were so effective- the director wouldn't give a shit about popular trends and what things he could put into the movie to draw in younger audiences. I.E.: Jessica Biel. That remake does not walk the walk.

So, you're right. Some things I don't have a sense of humor about.

walls wrote:Respect you? Why? Have you shown one speck of respect for anyone elses tastes yet?
Don't mind me - I was just joking around.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

People with no artistic ambitions and no vision.
In your opinion.

I would argue that Nispel has artistic ambition. His movies are very pretty and arty and, in the case of the TCM remake, even good.

You have TCM on a pedestal that's way to high. It's one thing to like a movie, but when you reach a point when you consider it seem to consider it flawless. It's not. It's not a perfect movie, and when you can't be objective enough to see that it has flaws, it's hard to take you seriously.

My two favorite movies of all time are Dawn of the Dead and Heat. I'd give them both 5 stars. But, shit, I can tell you what's wrong with them too.

TCM is really isn't what you make it out to be.