Horror Movie Discussion #21: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.

Any good?

Highly recommended
42%
Recommended
25%
Rent it
17%
Skip it
17%
Not seen it
No votes

Total votes: 12

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Horror Movie Discussion #21: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Post by Atrium Pool »

shiki-jitsu wrote:I don't necessarily care of characters are likable or not, but the characters in TCM are just fucking annoying, enough that I don't care at all.
What was annoying about them?

shiki-jitsu wrote:While there are some OK shots (Leatherface and the door as mentioned) I actually think the film is shot like shit for the most part.
I don't get that. What's the problem exactly? The film is shot impeccably well and edited perfectly. For what Hooper was trying to accomplish. He perfectly captured the mood of the setting and the feeling his characters were in. It's an uncomfortable film because the characters are dealing with blistering heat and on top of that- there's Franklin who is somewhat retarded, a psycho who threatened them with a knife (as far as they know) and cut one of them, reports of crazy grave robbers going around, and one by one they start disappearing. Every shot in every scene with a character in it captures this perfectly. Where could there possibly be a problem here?

shiki-jitsu wrote:Lingering too long on shit doesn't make it artistic or intellectual in the least bit.
In your opinion. But what that does is it draws a moment out. It makes it less in-the-moment, as-it-happens realistc and captures a character's parting with reality. Which does happen in real life. The moments of realization. Or the horror of confusion and seeing bizarre things where at least subconsciously you think- why would someone do this? Someone had to have done it. I'm referring to the feathers and bone room scene. But there are other examples. Like Sally sitting alone in the gas station. Or her going crazy at the dinner table.

shiki-jitsu wrote:Believe me, I don't want to think that a Bay remake is better than the original.
It isn't.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Atrium Pool wrote:
shiki-jitsu wrote:I don't necessarily care of characters are likable or not, but the characters in TCM are just fucking annoying, enough that I don't care at all.
What was annoying about them?
See this makes me think this is a joke account.
Atrium Pool wrote:
shiki-jitsu wrote:While there are some OK shots (Leatherface and the door as mentioned) I actually think the film is shot like shit for the most part.
I don't get that. What's the problem exactly? The film is shot impeccably well and edited perfectly. For what Hooper was trying to accomplish.
You're right. I forgot that he was trying to accomplish making a film that looks like shit.
Atrium Pool wrote:He perfectly captured the mood of the setting and the feeling his characters were in. It's an uncomfortable film because the characters are dealing with blistering heat and on top of that- there's Franklin who is somewhat retarded, a psycho who threatened them with a knife (as far as they know) and cut one of them, reports of crazy grave robbers going around, and one by one they start disappearing. Every shot in every scene with a character in it captures this perfectly. Where could there possibly be a problem here?
You are way too far up this film's ass to see any other viewpoint, so I think I will leave this at that.
Atrium Pool wrote:
shiki-jitsu wrote:Believe me, I don't want to think that a Bay remake is better than the original.
It isn't.
What's the problem exactly? The film is shot impeccably well and edited perfectly. For what Hooper Bay was trying to accomplish.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

zigzag
Staff Reviewer
Staff Reviewer

Post by zigzag »

I voted "Highly Recommended" and believe the film is important to the genre (warts and all).

The flick deserves more credit than Shiki offers, but nowhere near Atrium Pool's passive-aggressive defense.
Any film saddled with 35 years of hype as the most notorious title of the 1970s is bound to disappoint some, but--

This thread is going in circles.
TCM is anything but perfect... and I enjoy it. But I cannot blindly praise every element.

The voting process in the HORROR MOVIE DISCUSSION thread seems a bit muddled...
Would I buy TCM (new/used... or wait for it free on TV) is different from Should TCM be seen.

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

shiki-jitsu wrote:What's the problem exactly? The film is shot impeccably well and edited perfectly. For what Hooper Bay was trying to accomplish.
It's a damn shame Bay didn't direct the masterful remake. I would be glowing. :lol:
zigzag wrote:The voting process in the HORROR MOVIE DISCUSSION thread seems a bit muddled...
Would I buy TCM (new/used... or wait for it free on TV) is different from Should TCM be seen.
Yeah, I'm going to change the options up on the next poll.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote:
shiki-jitsu wrote:What's the problem exactly? The film is shot impeccably well and edited perfectly. For what Hooper Bay was trying to accomplish.
It's a damn shame Bay didn't direct the masterful remake. I would be glowing. :lol:
We all know it was ultimately his though.

(and thanks for ruining the joke, Bay works much better than Marcus Nispel in that line. :mad: )
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

You're right, though. :(

I should have phrased it, "It's a shame Bay didn't get the director's credit on the masterful remake. Nispel directed this like Hooper directed Poltergeist. :shake: :lol: "

:lol:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

That my friend would have been a perfect example of TEAMWORK.
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Well, when you only talk to your BFF once every three months, things start to slip. I'M SORRY, OKAY! :(

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

You're right. This is all my fault. :cry2:
Letterboxd

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by Atrium Pool »

zigzag wrote:This thread is going in circles.
If we can even call it that.

If The Texas Chainsaw Massacre isn't a horror masterpiece - what is?

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Atrium Pool wrote:
If The Texas Chainsaw Massacre isn't a horror masterpiece - what is?
Twilight.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

:lol:
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by Atrium Pool »

shiki-jitsu wrote:Twilight.
The kind of film I'm sure Michael Bay would have been proud to have his name on.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

That doesn't even make sense. :lol:

Atrium Pool
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Post by Atrium Pool »

Bay makes shitty films and he's a money whore.

How did that not make sense?