What are you reading?

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Alien Redrum »

Still on Hysteria: Lolly & Lady Vanity and REALLY digging it. It's two tales, and the first, Lolly is a damn delight. Also still digging The Horror at Pleasant Brook. I'm kind of milking this one because it's not out until October, and it's got a really cool small-town horror vibe that I'm loving.

After I finish Hysteria: Lolly & Lady Vanity, I'll be moving on to Todd Keisling's Cold, Black & Infinite: Stories of the Horrific & Strange and Kat Silva's The Wild Oblivion series (both for review and both I'm really looking forward to as well). Both of the books in The Wild Oblivion series are on sale right now for $0.99 each.

I finished Strand's An Apocalypse of Our Own. Definitely enjoyed the story, but, man, the narration was a slog to get through.

I also knocked out Tim Waggoner's Love, Death and Madness and I will be reading more of him. This is my first (that I can remember) time reading his work and I'm wanting to read more.

I'm now listening to The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told to Alex Haley. So far it's fanfuckingtastic. It's so funny when he talks about what white people eat and how they dance. :lol: The audiobook is read by Laurence Fishburne, so that's just making it even better.

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I'm reading 10,000 things, but I just finished The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told to Alex Haley. I listened to the audiobook, and it was narrated by Laurence Fishburne.

Holy shit. This book is awesome. So damn good. Dude predicted his own death and who did it. (I mean, I always heard that, but I never knew the reasons.) Just a fantastic book all around (elevated by Fishburne's performance).

When I finished, I leaned back, put folded my hands across my tummy, smiled, looked to the sky, and just imagined how happy Shiki would be with me.

Now I need to watch the movie again (fuck Spike Lee, still, though) and I'm watching his speeches. Good Lord, he could have been even better if he wasn't shot.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Look. Even if you don't like Spike Lee (which... whatever :jack: ) Malcom X is an amazing, amazing , amazing movie.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

This thread is for book discussion, sir. :mad:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Listened to Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI by Robert K. Ressler and Tom Shachtman. This is a pretty good book. It's like reading a book by John Douglas but without the ego.

However, my problem with all of these types of books (about the history of profiling and such) is they never seem to talk about their failures. Which is ridiculous because you know they've had them. Hell, they've had tons of them. It's critical to talk about them and how they adjusted for future profiles.

They way they (people like Douglas and Ressler) tell it, though, is they never got it wrong.

Also, this book is pretty dated. He mentions the Central Park 5 as if they were still guilty, and praises bite evidence (which is INCREDIBLY problematic).

However, the good does outweigh the bad, and if you like Mindhunter, you'll like this a lot. Some scenes are straight from this book.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

What was Spike Lee's problem in this book?
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Darkriter
Dead and Buried
Dead and Buried

Post by Darkriter »

Currently I'm on a short story kick. Found this collection called No One of Consequence Vol.I on Amazon. It reads like an adult version of Are You Afraid of the Dark, minus the campfire...mostly. There are monsters, archaic rituals, psychological mind screws, cursed antiques, and even a haunted cemetery. Truly a eclectic collection and well written for an indie author. There are a total of 4 volumes with 20 stories apiece, and it looks like a 5th is coming out soon. I highly recommend. I'll put the link at the bottom if anyone wants to check it out.
https://www.amazon.com/No-One-Consequen ... B0BVDX1HYR

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Just started listening to THE HAUNTED FOREST TOUR by Jeff Strand and James A. Moore. I've not read anything from the latter until now, but I'm a HUGE Strand fan, and this book is so far an absolute riot. The narrator, Joe Hemple, is great.

LivingDeadGirl
Shuffling Flesh Eater
Shuffling Flesh Eater

Post by LivingDeadGirl »

I read WHAT KIND OF MOTHER by Clay McLeod Chapman. Read it in two days because it was so good, I couldn't put it down. I'd already read his previous books GHOST EATERS and WHISPER DOWN THE LANE (Satanic Panic vibes) and he's becoming one of my favorite authors.
Everything I love about horror can be found on MY TUMBLR.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Reading/listening to a few things right now, but October Screams is a front-runner for one of my favorites of the year. This anthology is no joke.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Finished listening to Whalefall. A lot of hype around this one. The narrator is fantastic, but the book, while extremely well written, does tend to drag a lot. Would have been better as a novella. However, even though this wasn't my bag necessarily, I want to read more from this author. :2.5stars:

Now I'm into listening to Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World’s Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick. The narrator is rock solid and so far I'm really digging this. I love this dude's stories.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Is Kevin mitnick even still alive? LoL

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I think he died a few years ago. :(

I will say, one thing that surprised me years ago is they made a Hackers 2. With Skeet Ulrich! And Donul Logan!

Except it has nothing to do with Hackers. It's Kevin Mitnick's story. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, that movie was crap lol. Art Bell used to have him on occasionally too.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Really dug Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World’s Most Wanted Hacker, but holy shit, for as smart as Mitnick was in computers, he was pretty dumb in other areas.

Also, every time he got in trouble and needed bailing out, he called mommy and granny. Really shitty IMO, because they always came up with the money. He took advantage of them IMO.

And he brought up a few bffs that turned on him 'for no reason'. I find that hard to believe. Just as I find it hard to believe he NEVER profitted from his hacking. Okay. :shake: :lol:

That said, he seemed to turn his life around, so that's cool. Too bad he didn't use his skills in a more positive way until after he got out of prison.

Now I'm reading Kat Silva's The Wild Oblivion series. I've started the first book and I'm digging it so far. I thought one plot point was a major cheat until it became clear I jumped to conclusions and was wrong about it. :lol:

I'm also still reading two anthologies in between all this, October Screams and FOUND: An anthology of found footage horror stories, as well as Todd Keisling's novella, Scanlines. All enjoyable as hell.