What are you reading?

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Spez »

Just started reading Slam by Nick Hornby after finishing the rather disappointing 361 from the Hard Case Crime library.

Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey

Post by Sham »

Alien Redrum wrote:I prefer Carrie more, but Cujo was quite good. The movie was good, too, if you don't compare it to the book. If you do, then the movie sucks.

I like how Cujo always complained about the bees in his head. :lol:
Holy shit, Cujo was awesome! The whole thing felt like one sad tragedy to me instead of some simple "monster on the loose" horror story. I loved that angle. I read the last 100+ pages in about an hour. I couldn't put it down.

I liked the movie, but after reading the book, I think it needs a remake (surprise, surprise). The original film's biggest flaw is that it tries too hard to squeeze everything from the novel into the script, and it just doesn't work.

I could also really see Jennifer Aniston playing Donna, considering the way King describes the character as beautiful, but very tired looking. I think she could pull that off, and it would be cool to see her to do something like that so soon after appearing in Marley & Me.

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by Alien Redrum »

Sham wrote:
Alien Redrum wrote:I prefer Carrie more, but Cujo was quite good. The movie was good, too, if you don't compare it to the book. If you do, then the movie sucks.

I like how Cujo always complained about the bees in his head. :lol:
Holy shit, Cujo was awesome! The whole thing felt like one sad tragedy to me instead of some simple "monster on the loose" horror story. I loved that angle. I read the last 100+ pages in about an hour. I couldn't put it down.

I liked the movie, but after reading the book, I think it needs a remake (surprise, surprise). The original film's biggest flaw is that it tries too hard to squeeze everything from the novel into the script, and it just doesn't work.
I liked the movie, too, but [i[hated[/i] the pussout ending (compared to the book). And considering who the kid was, I would have much preferred the book ending in the movie.
I could also really see Jennifer Aniston playing Donna, considering the way King describes the character as beautiful, but very tired looking. I think she could pull that off, and it would be cool to see her to do something like that so soon after appearing in Marley & Me.
I'm not a big fan of hers, but I could see her pulling this off.

I'm now reading Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. It's like reading a big book of Neon's insanity posts. :lol:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

From Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (after he gets smacked in the mouth with a rock):
My father demanded I retaliate, saying I ought to knock the guy on his ass.

"Oh, Dad."

"Aww, baloney. Clock him on the snot locker and he'll go down like a ton of bricks."

"Are you talking to me?" I asked. The archaic slang aside, who did my father think I was? Boys who spent their weekends making banana nut muffins did not, as a rule, excel in the art of hand-to-hand combat.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

This book is awesome. :lol:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey

Post by Sham »

Finished reading Fearless by Tim Lott. Found it at the Dollar Tree and thought I'd give it a shot. I'm glad I did.

Pretty good young adult novel about a dystopian society and the girl trapped in one of its abusive schools.

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

I just read "Cemetery Dance," the latest Preston & Child novel featuring Pendergast. Not related to the indie publisher. A little different from their other stuff, it opens with a tragedy involving a long-running character and deals with a lot of the reaction to that amidst the mystery/thriller plots that are standard for these books.
Retired reviewer

Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey

Post by Sham »

Finished I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle. Hilarious. A complete surprise.

Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey

Post by Sham »

Finished The Wicker Man by Robin Hardy and Anthony Shaffer.

What a dumbass book! And people actually said the original movie/novelization was better than the remake. Liars!

I'm giving this pile of poodle poop back to the Goodwill!

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm reading Battle Royale by some japanese guy.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol: at last two.

Blowing through the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. <3 my ebook reader for keeping them all in order for me. :lol:

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

I'm about halfway through Running with Scissors. The movie was pretty average, but nothing special. The book is a million times better.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I'm reading another of the Torchwood books, can't remember which title right now. Also a Richard Matheson short story collection... which is good, but I will say.. "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet" would have been a lot better if I hadn't seen the Twilight Zone episode 50 times already.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote:I'm reading another of the Torchwood books, can't remember which title right now. Also a Richard Matheson short story collection... which is good, but I will say.. "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet" would have been a lot better if I hadn't seen the Twilight Zone episode 50 times already.
Do you have the torchwoods as ebook?

That's the problem with Matheson. He's been so prolific in the 50's and 60's, I'll be reading something of his, getting into it, then I'm all, "Oh, this is what that episode/movie/whatever was based on." :lol:
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey

Post by Sham »

Neon Maniac wrote: That's the problem with Matheson. He's been so prolific in the 50's and 60's, I'll be reading something of his, getting into it, then I'm all, "Oh, this is what that episode/movie/whatever was based on." :lol:
I never really grew up with The Twilight Zone or any of those knockoffs, so Matheson's work has always been a surprise for me. Reading "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" without having a clue what I was getting into was the best way to experience it; that story scared the shit out of me.

I think the only one I was familiar with was Prey (AKA the last episode of "Trilogy of Terror"). But even that story had a few genuine surprises of its own.

Re-reading Carrie by Stephen King. I just don't remember liking it that much the first time, but it's really starting to grow on me. I've always been a fan of the movie, so I never understood why I didn't like the book as much. Other than the different endings, they're pretty identical. Enjoying it much more this time around.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote:
shiki-jitsu wrote:I'm reading another of the Torchwood books, can't remember which title right now. Also a Richard Matheson short story collection... which is good, but I will say.. "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet" would have been a lot better if I hadn't seen the Twilight Zone episode 50 times already.
Do you have the torchwoods as ebook?
Nope. I haven't been able to find them. I've been buying the hardcovers.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac