Red State wraps.

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Red State wraps.

Post by Alien Redrum »

So with Kevin Smith's horror film officially wrapped and edited, it should be only a matter of time before the movie comes out (or at least a trailer).

I'm very curious to see how Smith handles a horror film. I'm a huge fan of his work and think he's steadily gotten better as a director since Clerks (Clerks 2 is a good example of this).

However, his movies have never really had any sort of dark overtone, so I have no idea what to expect.

Still looking forward to seeing what he can do with a horror movie, though.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Red State wraps.

Post by Neon Maniac »

It's going to be a romantic comedy thinly disguised as a horror movie. You'll love it.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:mad:

Wait, is Joe Lauren Adams in it? :klown:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Problem is, no matter how bad it might be, the rabid Kevin Smith fanbois will just masturbate furiously over it regardless.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

I can't wait to rabidly masturbate over this film.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

DJBenz wrote:Problem is, no matter how bad it might be, the rabid Kevin Smith fanbois will just masturbate furiously over it regardless.
This is my thought exactly. And you know AR is going to review it, and it's going to be 5 stars and awesomer than anything he's ever seen.

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

I don't think that's necessarily true. Yes, he has a die hard fanbase (full disclosure: I'm a fan), but they don't come out to see his movies in the theaters (myself included). His most successful film made maybe $30 million in the box office. Granted, this movie cost a fraction of that, but he makes a ton on DVDs.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

When have I ever given blind love to a Smith film? I like his movies, but I'll happily point out the flaws.

I agree with spez. Smith fanboys are nowhere near as bad as Lynch or Argento fans. We aren't going to say you just didn't get Jersey Girl. :lol:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Smith fans are worse than Tarantino fans.

The movie will suck, like the majority of his output. I'll give it a chance and hopefully I will be proven wrong.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

shiki-jitsu wrote:Smith fans are worse than Tarantino fans.
I call bullshit. :lol:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote:
I call bullshit. :lol:
oh sorry, change "are" to "smell".
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Fair enough. :mad:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: We aren't going to say you just didn't get Jersey Girl. :lol:
But you are going to think it.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote:
Alien Redrum wrote: We aren't going to say you just didn't get Jersey Girl. :lol:
But you are going to think it.
No I won't! :mad:

Jersey Girl was mediocre. I freely admit that I bought it because I'm a fan of Smith's work, but I won't defend it. It's a throwaway movie and I've only watched it once since I bought it. :lol:

Clerks doesn't hold up.

Chasing Amy has a shit ending.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was dated a week after it came out and was pointless to begin with. I think Smith said that was the last you'll see of those two and I hope so. They were done after Chasing Amy.

Clerks 2 still rocks. Mallrats really grew on me and I still enjoy Dogma.

Zack and Miri really surprised me on how much I liked it and having watched it twice, I'm still pleased with it.

I'm the first to admit Smith's scripts are much better than his directing, but both (script and directing) has matured. I'm glad he's doing a horror at this point in his career rather than early on because, direction wise, it wasn't until Clerks 2 that he was any good. ("Any good" is a harsh term, but he was definitely mediocre up until that point).

No, man, I won't defend why I like him (which surprises even me because I don't like fart joke type movies), I just know I do. Certainly some of it is Clerks hit me at a time that I really related to it and Chasing Amy was so damn good (save the ending), but I can easily agree with the flaws that are pointed out.

I still haven't worked up the energy to watch Cop Out. Good lord I hear that one is just bad. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

No comment on Mall Rats? That's the only movie of his that actually works. Clerks and Clerks 2, are the two worst films of his, I think. I know you enjoy Clerks 2, but really, it's just got the 2 most annoying people from the Smith Universe, who also happen to be the 2 worst actors from the Smith Universe. Yes, let's give them another movie. And let's make it a major motion picture this time. I can't believe someone agreed to that. Smith had to have made a deal with the devil.

Yes, Smith said we'd never see Jay & Silent Bob again. Then promptly put them in Clerks 2. Because he's a big fucking liar filled with hobgoblins.

I used to like Kevin Smith a lot, until I realized that they all kind of suck and all rely heavily on the same, tired clever dialog (just like Tarantino (also filled with hobgoblins)). I have nothing against people liking his work, it's okay. Zach and Whoever was a clever idea, but it never got any traction with me.

I hate to say it, but Jersey Girl was probably his best movie. Not from a viewing standpoint, I found it kind of lame like I do all movies of that ilk, but instead of making a cleverly disguised romantic comedy, he made a completely straight ahead romantic comedy and did it very well. I think he should stick to that as that's where he has a natural talent (even if his hobgoblins make him deny it).

In short:

Clerks/Clerks 2: Loaded with hobgoblins
Mall Rats: Hobgoblin free
Chasing Amy: Small hobgoblins, you barely notice them.*
Zach and Miri: It's got one hobgoblin, but it's a huge one and it eats your face.
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back: hobgoblins, but you expect them so they're part of the party. They do wear on though.
Dogma: Almost escaped the hobgoblins, but Jay and Silent Bob brought their own.
Jersey Girl: Tempted to say it's hobgoblin free, but the whole movie is a hobgoblin so it fools you.

*All the hobglins in Chasing Amy are chased away by Black Power!