new member stumbling in

A little about our forum and forum rules. A place to introduce yourself.
TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Re: new member stumbling in

Post by TGM »

heh. boobies.

neilmt
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by neilmt »

shiki-jitsu wrote:
neilmt wrote: By Arthur Machen:
The Great God Pan
Great story, even better illustrations by A. O. Spare.

Austin Osman Spare 2 by Cardboard Cutout Sundown, on Flickr
Wow, I never saw those illustrations--I'll look for them. Thanks for the heads-up.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

neilmt wrote:
Wow, I never saw those illustrations--I'll look for them. Thanks for the heads-up.
AFAIK they were only available in the edition put out by Creation Books with this cover:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

neilmt
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by neilmt »

Hey, thanks again, I'll look for that. I confess I haven't read Machen in many years, but I recall that some of his other stories were similarly unsettling.

BTW, I awoke this morning recalling something I once heard Chelsea Handler say--don't drink and blog--and thinking, shit, maybe I shouldn't have posted that. These guys have read everything, far more than I have, and they don't need me spouting off. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

neilmt wrote:These guys have read everything, far more than I have, and they don't need me spouting off. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.
I doubt it. Most of the members here are illiterate.
Letterboxd

neilmt
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by neilmt »

Hey, shiki-jitsu--I see that the Spare edition of The Great God Pan is available on Amazon. I'll grab one--thanks for the heads up. I'm honest-to-God just now realizing that a theme from the story worked its way into one of mine--obviously it was in the back of my mind, but I wasn't aware of it. I hope Mr. Machen wouldn't be annoyed--sincerest form of flattery and all that.

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Post by TGM »

I once wrote a screenplay called Montana Smith and the Building of Dread. I wrote it sometime in the Spring of 1985. Pretty cool idea that I'm still hoping to get off the ground.

neilmt
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by neilmt »

Hey, TGM-- As you probably know far better than I, the world of Hollywood / film is far more bizarre than anything any horror writer could ever come up with. Of my own experiences there, I rely on the words of Sir Walter Scott: "Look upon them again, I dare not."

I also am trying to rely on Chelsea's advice not to drink and blog, and I confess I've had a couple.

For what it's worth, I'm struggling to pull the stake our of my own (Daniel Rhodes) heart, after more than 20 years. And I think things have changed a lot in the horror field--much more interest and action now than then.

But I'd be the last guy to suggest that you might take another look at Montana Smith--cool name, makes me think of my MT writing pals, living and dead--Crumley, Burke, Bowen, Welch--and maybe dust it off with a more contemporary spin?

I've thought very seriously about doing that with Next, After Lucifer--making the main character a young rock musician on the skids.

Again, just for what it's worth--Best, Neil

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Post by TGM »

in all seriousness, what's your take on the e-book revolution?

neilmt
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by neilmt »

Excellent question. I'm not at all knowledgeable about it in any in-depth way. But by and large, I think it's great. From a reader's perspective, it makes millions of books available immediately and cheaply, and the convenience factor is stellar. It seems to me every bit as good from a writer's POV--you can publish your works, and make them available to millions of readers, for nothing or close to it.

And, while I don't want to bite the hand that fed me for quite a few years (the publishing industry), it's true that a comparatively few editors / publishers had virtually complete control over what and who got published. I know several really fine writers who just never got that nod, and their books remained manuscripts gathering dust. But now, with ebooks and other self-publishing venues (like print on demand paperbacks), it's economically feasible for them to get those books out to readers who'll enjoy them.

I'm quite sure that my horror books would never have been re-published by a mainstream house, and since my other thrillers never hit it big (except for the one I did with Jim Patterson, and that was entirely because of his name), I most likely would never sell another book mainstream.

So I'm personally all for it, and I don't think it's a bad thing that the industry is getting a serious shake-up. One thing that seems certain is that ebooks are the wave of the future, and publishers will have to adapt to that.

But, that said, I realize that a lot of folks might feel strongly otherwise. Any thoughts, anybody?

neilmt
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by neilmt »

I'll add that I love the feel of actual books, and I think many people agree that nothing will ever replace them. But I think of ebooks as offering another alternative, very efficient and attractive in its own way.

neilmt
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by neilmt »

So, if dystopian (like the world in Hunger Games) is the opposite of utopian, does that mean a happy family is ufunctional?

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

neilmt wrote:So, if dystopian (like the world in Hunger Games) is the opposite of utopian, does that mean a happy family is ufunctional?
Letterboxd

neilmt
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by neilmt »

s j, you longcocked me. (Not the first time in my life it's happened.)

neilmt
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by neilmt »

I don't want to get into politics, honest--but does anybody else, in watching the candidates and supporters, think of that Roddy Piper movie, THEY LIVE?