Drive

If it's not horror, this is the place!
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Drive

Post by Alien Redrum »

Finally caught this one on Netflix the other night and, man, I could not have been more surprised. Really, really liked this. Very minimal and very Michael Mann.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Re: Drive

Post by TGM »

I thought the first half draaaaaaaaaaagggggged. That soundtrack also got on my nerves. I loved the concept, and the character, but I guess I was hoping for a bit more Transporter, and a bit less mopey date flick (which the first half most certainly was).

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

TGM wrote:and a bit less mopey date flick (which the first half most certainly was).
I think the second half would not have been nearly as good without this part.

I didn't expect anything because I never saw a trailer. So maybe I got lucky.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Post by TGM »

Alien Redrum wrote:
TGM wrote:and a bit less mopey date flick (which the first half most certainly was).
I think the second half would not have been nearly as good without this part.
you'd be wrong.

oh and let me reiterate.... FUCK THAT ANNOYING SOUNDTRACK IN THE ASS, DRY.

aceofspades
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by aceofspades »

I liked it. A bit slow at times, but overall a good film.
"Supercharge this"

Mairosu
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Mairosu »

It's not so much Mann (other than the pink typeface in the beginning) as much as Hill and some Carpenter. It definitely has that 80s feel to it which attracted me to it initially, but like you, I got more than what I bargained for. The palpable result is that I now have the soundtrack permanently on my mp3 player - I get out of work at like midnight, and I play the first few songs while walking to the borderline in the dark.

Yeah, pretty gay, I know.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I disagree. I mean, I can see the Carpenter being in there some, but this was dripping with Mann's influence. One of the best things I read about it was something along the lines of "When Mann was Mann". But if you look at Collateral, Thief, or Manhunter, there's definitely that sort of vibe, both in shot and minimal approach.

I've also read that there's a Jean-Pierre Melville style to it, which made me netflix some of his work. Apparently he's pretty stylistic, too.

Do you mean Hill as in Walter Hill? I can't talk about that, as while I've seen a good chunk of his movies, I only truly love The Warriors.

Mairosu
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Mairosu »

Yes, Walter Hill. Why, the whole concept is a lift out of Hill's The Driver, more-less.

I would say it has a lot of Thief in it for sure, but I'm not entirely positive if I can call Mann a prime influence. As far as Melville, yeah I can see that, minimalistic noir approach does the work there.

Shot composition does resemble Mann at his less flamboyant, I can appreciate that.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Mairosu wrote:Yes, Walter Hill. Why, the whole concept is a lift out of Hill's The Driver, more-less.
Then I obviously need to see this.
Shot composition does resemble Mann at his less flamboyant, I can appreciate that.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm not talking about Miami Vice here. Or even The Insider.

Mairosu
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Mairosu »

The Driver is a bit dated now but still good fun.

Re: Mann, I'm just happy it didn't resemble TLADILA at all.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Well, that was Friedkin.

Mairosu
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Mairosu »

I just gave it a quick thought on why did I associate it with Mann in this instance.

Then I remembered that Mann filed a lawsuit against Friedkin claiming they ripped Miami Vice off. Amazingly, he lost the lawsuit. Probably because that movie sucks, and Miami Vice was a good show, so losing the lawsuit actually serves history justice.

But hey - I loved the Wang Chung score.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

That's right, I vaguely remember that too. I also remember thinking the lawsuit was ridiculous.

I'm still upset on how bad the Miami Vice movie was. It could have been something special. :(

walls
Wallsbot
Wallsbot

Post by walls »

I have had this on Blu for a LLLOOONNNNGGGG time I guess now I need to actually watch it.

Mairosu
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Mairosu »

As long as you don't expekt something like Fast & Furious you'll be fine.